Question on Lone Wolf Sticks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jake71

Question on Lone Wolf Sticks

Unread postby jake71 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:07 am

I bought some LW sticks last season and only used them a handful of times. I'm working on getting more proficient with them. One problem I'm having is that when I stack them the way Dan demonstrates in one of his videos, they seem to be stuck together so tight it takes a good deal of effort to pull a stick off the stack - takes a lot of wiggling and prying to get that V-bracket to free from the stick. I just about need to use a screwdriver to pry them apart. I am trying to take them apart by popping off one end first, then the other (like I saw in the video) Does this sound normal? Do I just need to break these in, or is there some trick I'm missing?

Thanks!

"I am, said Jesus. And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty one and coming on the clouds of heaven."
Thermals
500 Club

Re: Question on Lone Wolf Sticks

Unread postby Thermals » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:10 am

Do you have stealth strips on them. They will be tight if you do. You can take your hands on the vee and spread them apart some to loosen them up to fit. They could be the China ones to.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
jake71

Unread postby jake71 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:18 am

No, I don't have stealth strips on them. I'll try spreading the brackets a little bit.
"I am, said Jesus. And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty one and coming on the clouds of heaven."
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:05 am

If your able to open the V with your hands, I would be shocked. If you haven't painted them or done anything, something is wrong. Contact Lw.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
jake71

Unread postby jake71 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:16 am

I used some sandpaper and that seems to be helping.
jake71

Unread postby jake71 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:18 am

and yes, "opening the V" is not an option
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:46 am

Get them machined out a bit on an end mill if you can..if not a hand file would work but would take a while. I did both on separate sets of sticks, once stealth stripped they were tight

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:33 pm

jmaas07 wrote:Get them machined out a bit on an end mill if you can..if not a hand file would work but would take a while. I did both on separate sets of sticks, once stealth stripped they were tight

I used a file on mine when they were new. Had a little burr on the corners left from machining. The aluminum doesn't take much work to remove. In most cases you will only need to remove .002"-.003" at the most for clearance. Too much and they may rattle if not nested together tight. I prefer a snug fit.

jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:41 pm

Could use a table saw as well to open them up

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:42 am

I would just file them a bit. You still want them to be a little snug so they don't rattle.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”