lone wolf sticks?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

lone wolf sticks?

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:08 am

So before next season...I absolutely need a lone wolf (or similar mobile stand) as my summit viper just won't work in most trees in the marsh I'm scouting...

If you guys have other recommendations I am all ears...

For sticks...are you guys using lonewolfs???

How many sticks do I need to climb to normal tree stand heights??

I know in the marsh 1-2 sticks will get me where I need to be most of the time...

But I will probably use it to climb trees in the hills too...so wanna make sure I have enough sticks...

Any recommendations on the stand and sticks?? I'm open to whatever will work best...

I've been hunting from my summit for years now...for a while I never had an issue...lately as my style is changing I'm finding I can't climb where I wanna climb...

My only thing is I can't damage/screw anything into the tree...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

jmaas07
500 Club

Re: lone wolf sticks?

Unread postby jmaas07 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:29 am

I use 5 lw sticks and a lw alpha stand. A lot of times I'm using 1-3 sticks, 5 sticks will get you up 20+ feet. Make sure to stealth strip and bicycle inertube or yak grip the buckles.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:00 am

4-5 lw sticks and sometimes 4 lws and a muddy on top. I also use a lw alpha.

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:09 am

I used a summit viper until 2 years ago. I bought a Lone Wolf alpha and muddy sticks. This year I wanted more mobile and better sticks. So I bought a LoNe Wolf Assault and 5 Lone wolf sticks. I did not intend to buy a Assault but amazon had a sale for 160 bucks I talked myself into it worth every penny. You can't go wrong with the Alpha or Assault. If your under 5.10 Assaults great if taller get the Alpha. I'm 160 and 5.10 so I love them both.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
tcop7
500 Club

Unread postby tcop7 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:50 am

I use LW Alpha II and 4 LW climbing sticks. They work great for me. XOP makes basically the same thing for cheaper if your looking to save money. Only difference is XOP is made in China, LW is made in US.

[glow=green]Experience Is What You Get When You Didn't Get What You Wanted![/glow]

[glow=blue]McLaughlin Athletic Center[/glow]
[glow=blue]Northwest Ohio's Youth Sports Complex![/glow]
[dropshadow=blue]Visit us at --->[/dropshadow]http://www.macgymohio.com/ [dropshadow=blue]<---[/dropshadow]
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:04 am

For hunting mobile you can't beat a LW Alpha and 4-5 LW sticks. That would cover pretty much anything from marshes to hill country. I hunt mostly marshes and rarely need more than 3 sticks since best cover is mostly lower.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:43 am

I use anywhere from one to five sticks... I usually have 5 sticks with me.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:59 am

3 sticks will roughly get you 15 foot or so, 4 18-20, 5 22-24 or so. This is not super spacing them out and still being able to step on to the platform then climb up to it.

I am 510 225, I like my alpha but do want to pick up a 8.5 lb assault at some point.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:31 am

I have both the muddy and lone wolf sticks. Last year I carried 6 muddy sticks. It was a bit heavy and still didn't get me as high as I like in some cases. I actually switched back to my climber at the end of the season. I like to be high in a couple spots I go. Probably 30'ish I would say. I like the steps on the muddy sticks. I really appreciate having a step on both sides of the stick. I don't like how they are short compared to the lone wolf. I do prefer the attachment mechanism MUCH more. The rope and cam buckle is an ingenious system. I wish the ropes were longer though. I had some trouble with larger trees. But that's something you can change.
Both sticks can be noisy. Both - when attached to a tree with thick rough bark can slide down the tree a bit when you step on them and are loud when it happens. All in all the muddy are quieter and quicker to set up. This year I think I'm going to try to get down to 3 sticks with tubular webbing strap steps hung from each stick to make up the difference. That should lighten the load.

If I had to choose one or the other - It would be the Muddy sticks in all honesty. That said I think the lone wolf stands are better. I have Millennium, Summit, and Lone Wolf stands. The lone wolf is the easiest to pack and lightest/easiest to carry. But the back pack straps on it suck. Get a nice molle pack with a belt and it makes a big difference.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:41 pm

You can go light with a single stick if you use a rock climbing harness. Slower but not bad by any means.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:31 pm

I saw the video with the single stick and rock climbing harness. Problem I see with the setup is you have the same restrictive tree selection as with a climber. Must be straight and relatively limb free. That being the case I would rather have the climber. It's more comfortable. I also think it's probably safer. For example you drop that stick while your up in the tree and your SOL. I suppose you could tie the stick to yourself though.. I certainly would.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:55 am

My issue with the muddy sticks is kickout... When I tried them I had issues with them coming off the tree with your weight on them. Angled trees, or imperfect tree shapes compounded that issue.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:13 am

I wont push the 1 stick idea but they can use a lot of different trees, not like a climber at all.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:45 am

dan wrote:My issue with the muddy sticks is kickout... When I tried them I had issues with them coming off the tree with your weight on them. Angled trees, or imperfect tree shapes compounded that issue.

I did have a muddy stick kick out on me once. While I was climbing I had my pull rope get wrapped on a stick below me somehow. When I took the next step it lifted the stick. When that happened it kicked out sideways and slid down the tree and stopped when it hit the next stick down. I've never had them kick out with my weight on them. If that ever happens I'll stop using them and they'll be up on ebay the next day.

justdirtyfun wrote:I wont push the 1 stick idea but they can use a lot of different trees, not like a climber at all.

I would be interested in learning how they contend with obstacles during the climb. For example do they use a lineman's belt to attach to the tree while they detach the harness to move it around limbs? The you tube video didn't demonstrate that. Crooked trees would seem like a challenge. How to you manage the climb when gravity is pulling you away form the tree while you hang? Interested to learn...
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:49 am

Mauser...stop at my place. I have a set of sticks can experiment with and all models of lw hang ons except the assault 2....u know the #

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”