2010 Info I put together with the woods I hunt (Long read)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

2010 Info I put together with the woods I hunt (Long read)

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:40 pm

Last year I started using Buck Fever Synthetic Scents. I talked with a friend of mine from Idaho and hit him up with questions being he's had great success with the stuff. Last year my results were awesome with a few good bucks checking these mock scrapes. One In particular was the big 10 point I hit October 19th.

Anyhow this year I put out a 1/2 dozen mock scrapes again In different spots. In 3 of the spots no decent bucks showed but In the other 3 I got some good results. I've got 4 mock scrapes going now and have a camera on each of them. I've been checking these cams every 7 to 10 days and today was day number 8 so I headed on out and did some scouting and checking. I recently bought a Garmin450t GPS and I brought that with me to mark the spots I have the scrapes at. When I bought the GPS I also bought some Garmin software to put on my computer and look at topo maps. I'm able to plug my GPS Into my computer and load the waypoints from my GPS onto the software on my computer. In the pictures below you'll be able to see exactly where these mock scrapes are and where I've had these mature buck sightings and the buck doing It. The scrapes are marked 1, 2, 3, 4. The red line In the picture Is the boundary of the land I hunt.

The 10 point In these photos Is a common visitor of one of my mock scrapes. He's using the same exact trail and bedding area that the big guy did that I was hunting last year. When I 1st got pics of this 10 point I thought, "not to bad of a buck but lets hope for bigger". I've gotten nearly 500 pics of this buck and the SOB Is starting to wear on me a tad. I honestly am looking for a 130 Inch and up buck but would love nothing more to hunt the buck I hit last year. So far no show of him yet. This 10 point to me seems he'd go some where In that 125 Inch range at best. I think he's a 3.5 year old and a good one for this area. Most 3.5's around here don't score any higher then this, he's above average for here. Another year would be sweet for him. What's your thoughts on his age and score?

This 10 point has visited scrape number 1 95% of the time. I've got a pile of daytime pictures of him there. Below are just a few of them. Most of the time lately It's been In the morning an hour or so after light but before that It was more In the evenings an hour before dark. His last trip through on this trail was this morning at 8:00. I checked this cam at 10:30 this morning. This buck also showed up at scrape number 2 around 8:00 one morning. He also made an appearance at scrape number 4 once, that was an hour before light In the morning. He absolutely loves this Buckfever stuff. He Is so fooled!!!

The 8 point below to me has one cool looking rack!! If he shows his face It might be real hard to let him go. I'm a deer hunter who likes Inches and this 8 point won't score out the best with his small end fork on his left side but man I love the rack!! It's a different looking rack for this area and would look pretty damn nice on the wall. He's a big bodied deer too. I'm thinking he's a 4.5. Last year I got a picture of him and figured he was a 120 Inch buck. If his end fork would be the same as the right side this year I think he'd score close to 130. Your thoughts on age and score? Lets just say If he presents a shot chances are they'll be some action.

The 8 point here has only showed at scrape number 4. He possibly might of been on scrape number 2 but the pic wasn't very good. Whoever the buck was It was a real high rack. I got pics of this same 8 back In late July In this same spot. Just used a different camera and this time I put the camera on the other side of this trail. He seems to come through here mostly In the mornings. I think he's really on the ball though. Notice how he picked the camera out both In July and now. Last year he did the same thing In a different location In this woods.

Scrape number 3 Is a new one I put up today. I'm not a fan of going Into this area I did here very often as It's close to the doe bedding area. Bigger bucks may bed here to some where also. It's a real tough area for me to figure out. I've tried hunting this area off and on a bit the last 10 years but never saw much for good bucks. Just one sighting of a 125 Inch 3.5 whom I let go 2 years ago. The buck sign Is there, scrapes that Is. This Is my 1st time putting a mock scrape here. I'm very excited to see what It brings. I did find 2 other scrapes 40 or so yards to the north on the way out of the woods after I made my scrape. We shall see!!!

Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: 2010 Info I put together with the woods I hunt (Long rea

Unread postby Indianahunter » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:21 pm

Cool Post and pics Schultzy! Is that an HC600?
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:56 pm

Cool post, Schultzy. Examining your mock scrapes / topo / aerial really helps give a sense of what you are up to. I think your rack size and age estimates are pretty close.

Below are some questions fellow Beasts may be interested in:

What brand scrape dripper do you use above the scrape?

Are you taking any scent precautions when checking the camera / scrapes?

You mentioned you are very familiar with buck number one's bedding area, is it up high / near the water / in a thicket?

When gun season opens, or more pressure is exerted in your area, have you noticed the private land bucks visit a lot less often and scent check from 70 yards or so downwind, and the public land bucks switch to nocturnal visits- or not?

Again, very cool post and thanks for taking the time to put it together. 8-)
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:42 am

Indianahunter wrote:Cool Post and pics Schultzy! Is that an HC600?
I'm running two Reconyx camera's, one Is a RC60 and the other Is a RC60 High output. The high output cam takes excellent night time pics.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:31 am

What brand scrape dripper do you use above the scrape?
I think It's made by Wildlife Research Center Inc, It's called the Ultimate Scrape-dripper.

Are you taking any scent precautions when checking the camera / scrapes?
Yes, Rubber boots. Ideally I'd like to check these cams right before a rain. Hasn't rained much lately though. I usually wear rubber gloves too but didn't have any this time around. Anything I touch at the scrape I'll spray with the BF Gland (licking branch scent) stuff to mask my scent a little.

You mentioned you are very familiar with buck number one's bedding area, is it up high / near the water / in a thicket?
Being It's the neighbors land he's bedding on I can't say I know the exact spot but I know the area he's bedding In. The cattail marsh over there has allot of thickets In It with a touch of high ground here and there. I'm sure that's the area he's bedding In. 5 or so years ago we asked to go on this guys land to track a doe my brother had hit. We went through this area I'm talking about and found some huge beds. Come gun season opener allot of times I'll sit In the area of scrape number one with my bow (we can bowhunt during the gun season) being the neighbors haven't a clue what their doing over there. A good majority of these sits I'll see a good buck run onto our land right at 1st light when their getting out there being they chase them out not even knowing It.

When gun season opens, or more pressure is exerted in your area, have you noticed the private land bucks visit a lot less often and scent check from 70 yards or so downwind, and the public land bucks switch to nocturnal visits- or not?
You bet! This buddy of mine told me this exact thing and said don't expect to see these bucks on camera as much checking the scrapes up close after they know where It Is. Last year I saw the prime example of that. The big guy I hit last year was with In 50 yards of my mock scrape down wind of It winding It. I knew exactly what he was doing. As for public land bucks, haven't tried It on public land yet. Next year I plan on giving that a try.

Again, very cool post and thanks for taking the time to put it together. 8-)
I figured what the , thought It would be kinda neat to throw together and show. Thanks SB!!!

If anyone Is Interested In these Buckfever Synthetic Scents here Is a link- http://buckfeverusa.com/
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:03 am

Cool post and great daytime pictures if the pattern sticks....I'd be out there right if you have the time. Who knows where they will head in a couple of weeks with does on their mind.

Bucks are shooters in my book....don't know what your land is capable of but those two look like good deer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”