Iowa Nonres sitting on 2 preference points

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kenn1320
500 Club

Iowa Nonres sitting on 2 preference points

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:52 am

OK guys, I've got 2 points, planning on trying to draw a tag this season. Never been to Iowa hunting, never shot a big buck. I'm looking to go scouting this spring and knock on doors. Any direction would be appreciated. I prefer to bow hunt.

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
HoosierG5
500 Club

Re: Iowa Nonres sitting on 2 preference points

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:56 am

I wouldnt be scared of public there either. Think canoe, boat, waders or anything else that gets you to to unhunted or lesser hunted spots.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:01 am

Kenn, I just got back from scouting Iowa as I should draw a tag this year as well. I'm not the most knowledgeable as far as Iowa goes but I have hunted it three separate times with good success and know the area that I do hunt fairly well. If you have any specific questions I'll help you out as best I can.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:13 am

Kenn1320................What zone you looking to hunt? 2 points might not be enough for some zones.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:35 am

I'd be happy to point you in general directions as well if you can say where you're hunting. Message me if easier.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:28 am

Im not set on a zone yet, but thinking 5. On one hand however Im leaning towards a not so popular zone as I don't like to see a group of boats on a lake and rush there thinking its the place to be cause others are there. I do have a small boat and almost used it last yr but canceled my out of state trip. Im torn between the advantages of the boat, versus a ruined trip if Im doing more dinking with the boat than actual hunting. I fear breaking down by hitting something or hassles in general that come with a boat. I met a guy last fall who hunts Iowa when he draws and MO when he doesn't. He said it rains there a lot and my car won't cut it. He said even with his truck he has long walks to access some of the public land due to poor muddy roads. He hunts the border between Iowa and mo. This won't be my first out of state hunt, been to ohio, mo, Kansas and multiple years and don't connect. I have great luck knocking on doors, but that hasn't helped. I've shared aerials with some members here that kill big ones every year and they pick the same locations I have sat with no luck. I sometimes think I "want it" so bad that I make mistakes without knowing it. Im open to any and all advice as this is likely my last big hunt. If I can't get one in Iowa, bug buck killing obviously isn't my thing.

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:57 am

Where's zone 5?

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:59 am

South Central, East of I-35.
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:13 pm

You most likely will not draw a good area with 2 points. From what I've seen 4 points is what it normally takes, zone 5 will be a 4 point draw 3 if your lucky

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:20 pm

I guess that's part of the dilemma. Should I focus on an area i can draw every yr or other year or wait for every 4yrs?

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:44 pm

kenn1320 wrote:I guess that's part of the dilemma. Should I focus on an area i can draw every yr or other year or wait for every 4yrs?

There is a reason why some areas take longer to draw. Quality of hunt is directly proportional to points to draw, especially if you are a public land hunter. If you scour for a good lease outside the hot zone, you can do it more regular, but these are highly sought leases with good price tags.

As great as IA appears, there is a lot of garbage habitat. That is why the draw system is in place. It is fragile. In some regards, I wish WI would adopt a zone draw for non resident tags, but I don't see that happening ever.

dkoy85

Unread postby dkoy85 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:12 pm

I had 2 preference points before I applied and drew successfully in zone 5 this past year. I think you are reasonable in your expectations to draw this year.

I hunted private land but I can point you to a small piece of public land. Saw a nice buck in there while driving by and it has good habitat to hold a few nice ones. It's an overlooked county so I feel permission might be easier to obtain if you knock on some doors. it's a great area with world class genetics. pm me and I might be able to help you out with a very nice guy I met while out there.

iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:23 pm

You can put In the draw every year still get ur point i think,if u don't draw so it's worth a shot just not likely to draw but still possible

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:03 pm

kenn1320 wrote:Im not set on a zone yet, but thinking 5. On one hand however Im leaning towards a not so popular zone as I don't like to see a group of boats on a lake and rush there thinking its the place to be cause others are there. I do have a small boat and almost used it last yr but canceled my out of state trip. Im torn between the advantages of the boat, versus a ruined trip if Im doing more dinking with the boat than actual hunting. I fear breaking down by hitting something or hassles in general that come with a boat. I met a guy last fall who hunts Iowa when he draws and MO when he doesn't. He said it rains there a lot and my car won't cut it. He said even with his truck he has long walks to access some of the public land due to poor muddy roads. He hunts the border between Iowa and mo. This won't be my first out of state hunt, been to ohio, mo, Kansas and multiple years and don't connect. I have great luck knocking on doors, but that hasn't helped. I've shared aerials with some members here that kill big ones every year and they pick the same locations I have sat with no luck. I sometimes think I "want it" so bad that I make mistakes without knowing it. Im open to any and all advice as this is likely my last big hunt. If I can't get one in Iowa, bug buck killing obviously isn't my thing.

I hunt quite a bit in zone 5. Most of the non resident friends I have that hunt in zone 5 don't draw with 2 points usually takes 3 points. Not saying you won't draw, I have seen years where 2 points was good but most of the time 2 points is not enough. Normally 3 points is good to go. I'd be willing to talk to you about hunting Iowa. PM me if interested.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
msailor

Unread postby msailor » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:32 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:
kenn1320 wrote:I guess that's part of the dilemma. Should I focus on an area i can draw every yr or other year or wait for every 4yrs?

There is a reason why some areas take longer to draw. Quality of hunt is directly proportional to points to draw, especially if you are a public land hunter. If you scour for a good lease outside the hot zone, you can do it more regular, but these are highly sought leases with good price tags.

As great as IA appears, there is a lot of garbage habitat. That is why the draw system is in place. It is fragile. In some regards, I wish WI would adopt a zone draw for non resident tags, but I don't see that happening ever.

BassBoys put it well, I would focus on those areas you could get every couple years. I think this is how most guys typically connect when you follow them on this forum; they aren't aimlessly wandering between states every year, they head to the same area perenially or semi-annually (or they have access to primetime stuff). They get to be a familiar face to landowners, they learn how the deer move on certain properties, when to hunt certain properties, etc. Spend some time learning where the good genetics are in under the radar units. I've hunted the extreme east and west sides of the state, areas somewhat overlooked, I can assure you there are deer you would be happy killing as an out-of-stater.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”