Early season deer hunting out west?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Early season deer hunting out west?

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:06 am

Looking for any recommendations for an early season deer hunt preferably out west. I'm going to have some time off of work late August through about the first week of September. I've never hunted out past Iowa so I'm kind of interested in the Dakotas or maybe Wyoming? Not real sure how whitetail numbers are out in this region the last few years. If I could combine it with an antelope hunt then all the better but a Whitetail Hunt would be my top priority. Looking for public land DIY style hunt. Have any of you guys done something similar in recent years and care to share your experience? If you prefer you can PM me. I'm also willing to trade info for other states if you'd like.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Lockdown

Re: Early season deer hunting out west?

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:27 am

If you're going to head to the Dakotas I'd do some major research concerning EHD. I hunt West River SD and the whitetails are way down out there. Since 2007 I'd say 70% are gone in my area. There are some mulies around though, but buck quality is a hair down due to more focus on them without a decent whitetail population. People out that way get pretty lonely as it is few and far between when it comes to people. Some of them love to talk and will give you all kinds of info. Not impossible you can get permission to bow hunt private land here and there. Be careful for Indian Reservations...
msailor

Unread postby msailor » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:47 am

SoDak doesn't open its archery season til the latter part of Sept. So if you are stuck on those time frames, you'll have to head elsewhere. I would recommend focusing on one species; Gaining perm, finding animals, and then killing them is hard enough. Now do that with two species...you get the point. Don't bite off more than u can chew, it makes it stressful. Shoot me a PM if you have ?'s about SD, I lived there for several years.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:56 am

N. Dakota - western part has Muley's...

Look MagicMan up and ask him - we had talked about a hunt some year as he had a pretty decent experience probably 5-years back...
If you can get him to go I'll go too ;)
Last edited by Edcyclopedia on Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:25 am

Yeah I'm thinking N. Dakota (Sept 4) opener or Nebraska would be good options and fall within my available time frame Aug 20-Sept 8. Both have the option to leave earlier and hunt antelope for a while. Not sure I can swing both but I'd try.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:38 am

Check w/ Spysar on Nebraska early hunting...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”