Brand new bow hunter--any advice?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Brand new bow hunter--any advice?

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:47 pm

Great advice dkoy85. Well done. :clap:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

semperfidelis

Unread postby semperfidelis » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:16 pm

msailor wrote:You have alot to learn, Motivated. Take a little at a time. Walk in humility. Figure out your bow and shot first...next figure out how to bow hunt deer. Scout and Read (here's a list of books to start with: http://wiredtohunt.com/2014/12/01/the-u ... r-hunters/) But before you do anything , forget everything you think you have learned from a TV show. Turn off your TV. If you feel the slightest urge to turn on the TV...DON'T!!!! Instead, scout, read, practice, and/or walk to your computer and click on "huntingbeast.com".

In addition to forgo the hunting show I would recommend never looking at a deer hunting magazine again. Nothing more than ads and must have gear required to kill deer. The American Indians could do it without charcoal lined suits or scent attractants..

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:33 am

semperfidelis wrote:
msailor wrote:You have alot to learn, Motivated. Take a little at a time. Walk in humility. Figure out your bow and shot first...next figure out how to bow hunt deer. Scout and Read (here's a list of books to start with: http://wiredtohunt.com/2014/12/01/the-u ... r-hunters/) But before you do anything , forget everything you think you have learned from a TV show. Turn off your TV. If you feel the slightest urge to turn on the TV...DON'T!!!! Instead, scout, read, practice, and/or walk to your computer and click on "huntingbeast.com".

In addition to forgo the hunting show I would recommend never looking at a deer hunting magazine again. Nothing more than ads and must have gear required to kill deer. The American Indians could do it without charcoal lined suits or scent attractants..

True story. With that, you shouldn't have to buy hunting mags ever again when you have the hunting beast.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:03 pm

Form a habit of looking over your bow/gear EVERY time you take it out and put it away. Make sure nothing is loose or damaged. Main reason is so it becomes second nature while hunting. Very easy to bump something walking through the woods. Don't blow that opportunity because you forgot to check things over once in your tree…

Sights can get bumped, rest becomes loose, peeps twist or if they use the little rubber hose it can slip off or dry rot...

I have made a good habit of this over the years with bow and gun, this past year on the last morning of a hunt I was groggy and forgot to check my scope, it was loose and it cost me a very nice buck.

I would also suggest keep your bow hunting situations setup for 25 yards or less shooting. You will be much more successful, that is advice straight from Stanley and it is spot on as usual.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:07 pm

I'm shifting gears from bow info. Visit deer for some one on one study time. Local parks, out of season on public, anywhere to observe deer on their terms.
Walk upwind until you see them react to your smell drifting to them. Ah ha.
Try finding how close you can sneak up behind them with wind in your favor. Ah ha.
They can teach us a lot. Just go visit them.
Check your local regs so you don't get in trouble.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”