what you think of deer hunting tv shows

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Re: what you think of deer hunting tv shows

Unread postby Florida » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:27 am

turflord wrote:I really like jim shockey he is very entertaining loves hunting no ego but I have never seen him kill a deer that was not on bait so you wont learn to much about whitetails....

I heard him in an interview say his favorite way to hunt whitetail is to stalk/sneak Canadian big woods. Doesn't really work for TV though. Haven't seen their videos yet but it sounds line the whitetail adrenaline guys figured out how to do it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:58 am

I think Lee has done what all of us that had money would do. He manages his land strictly and his public land success has been mentioned by quite a few on this site alone. I've always like Bill Winke. I used to watch the Drurys a lot but that all stopped when it became a drama series and sponsor loaded show. So many close ups of sponsor equipment. I know it's how they get paid, but they've lost and gained sponsors and everytime it's the best equipment out there. I found out long ago this site has better reviews on equipement and products than any show trying to sell them. Most that people aren't aware of, but work amazing.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:04 am

Florida wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:Most are for entertainment purposes only. I've seen a few that a guy can maybe learn a thing or two from.

I really liked Jimmy Big Time, thought it was hilarious. Is it on anymore?

He is on Carbontv.com

It's free online, on demand. Don't need to download anything or sign up.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:09 am

Dewey wrote:Some are good entertainment and others are just plain sickening.

Agreed. The handful of hunting shows I do watch anymore these days are strictly for the entertainment. I like Tim Wells quite a bit. Pigman's show is usually pretty entertaining. One show I do miss that was really funny was Animal House Outdoors. Those dudes were nuts. It was like Jackass with hunting thrown in. I mean how many other hunting shows are gonna show guys bowfishing UNDER WATER with long snorkels in a popup blind, or turkey hunting in the front yard of a trailer park?

I just can't get with the cookie cutter shows, which accounts for probably 80-90% of hunting shows. Here's the 10 step formula for the standard hunting show now...

1) Copy Heartland Bowhunter's cinematography style
2) Open with sitting on a set surrounded by wall mounts, sheds, and products from all of your sponsors talking about what's going to happen in this episode
3) Cut to some b roll shots (deer in fields, riding in side by sides, walking to stand, hanging stand, getting all set up in the stand)
4) Whisper to the viewer about your setup, and surroundings. Finish with "let's see what happens"
5) Multiple close up shots of your sponsored products
6) Let viewer know a deer is coming by pointing and saying "deer deer deer!!"
7) Show deer coming in. Show hunter drawing bow. Show kill shot
8) Pump fist, fist bump camera man, and let viewers know you "SMOKED HIM!"
9) Track deer, act like you didnt know where he was when you finally spot him even though camera angle is from right behind the deer
10) Hero pose with deer talking about how hard you've been hunting, and how you couldnt have done it without your sponsors

The end
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:37 am

Not a fan of hunting shows anymore. I'm not gonna help those guys lease even more land away from the common deer hunter. I think they've created an unrealistic expectation as far as deer are concerned; these shows have also hurt several states as far as pressure and leasing thinking there are 150" deer behind every tree...
Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:57 am

Racks&Beards wrote:
I just can't get with the cookie cutter shows, which accounts for probably 80-90% of hunting shows. Here's the 10 step formula for the standard hunting show now...

Haha. Nailed it!

http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:22 am

They are what they are, just simple entertainment for the most part. I'll still watch a good chunk of them occasionally. As Dewey mentioned, some are just awful, and unethical though.

We've discussed this on here before, but most of the bug name guys got to be that way for a reason. Most know what they are doing, and would probably be successful hunting in most circumstances. Not to say there aren't beast members who couldn't kill more often and bigger deer, but the three the OP mentioned certainly fit that bill.

Shockey's Uncharted show that started last year is absolutely top notch. Love Jim and his daughter. GREAT ambassadors for hunting. Listen to his appearance on Joe Rogan's podcast ( http://podcasts.joerogan.net/podcasts/jim-shockey )or Eva's appearance on Wired to Hunt (http://wiredtohunt.com/2015/01/15/the-w ... e-hunters/ ) Couldn't think of two better people to represent us as a group publicly.

Steve Rinella's Meateater show is my other DVR hunting show. Just fantastic stuff.

Other than those two, there are a bunch I will watch if they are on and I'm there, but don't seek them out.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:38 am

Does one need cable TV to watch these shows? ;)
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:44 am

Racks&Beards wrote:
Dewey wrote:Some are good entertainment and others are just plain sickening.

Agreed. The handful of hunting shows I do watch anymore these days are strictly for the entertainment. I like Tim Wells quite a bit. Pigman's show is usually pretty entertaining. One show I do miss that was really funny was Animal House Outdoors. Those dudes were nuts. It was like Jackass with hunting thrown in. I mean how many other hunting shows are gonna show guys bowfishing UNDER WATER with long snorkels in a popup blind, or turkey hunting in the front yard of a trailer park?

1) Copy Heartland Bowhunter's cinematography style
2) Open with sitting on a set surrounded by wall mounts, sheds, and products from all of your sponsors talking about what's going to happen in this episode
3) Cut to some b roll shots (deer in fields, riding in side by sides, walking to stand, hanging stand, getting all set up in the stand)
4) Whisper to the viewer about your setup, and surroundings. Finish with "let's see what happens"
5) Multiple close up shots of your sponsored products
6) Let viewer know a deer is coming by pointing and saying "deer deer deer!!"
7) Show deer coming in. Show hunter drawing bow. Show kill shot
8) Pump fist, fist bump camera man, and let viewers know you "SMOKED HIM!"
9) Track deer, act like you didnt know where he was when you finally spot him even though camera angle is from right behind the deer
10) Hero pose with deer talking about how hard you've been hunting, and how you couldnt have done it without your sponsors

The end

:lol:

Philski

Unread postby Philski » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:54 am

For the most part only watch for entertainment. I'm not glued to it like one of Dans videos to gather info or learn anything. I find myself drawn more to the adventure/scenery of mountain hunting or remote places. So I enjoy Jim Shockey going after CapeBuffalo or Tom Miranda going into the mountains after Bighorn sheep. I like that type stuff. It's better than watching the Family Feud. I'm kinda turned off by most whitetail tv hunts. They show very little and seem to hype the big antler mentality. Whitetails are my favorite to hunt but least favorite to watch.

mihunter101

Unread postby mihunter101 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:13 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:Not a fan of hunting shows anymore. I'm not gonna help those guys lease even more land away from the common deer hunter. I think they've created an unrealistic expectation as far as deer are concerned; these shows have also hurt several states as far as pressure and leasing thinking there are 150" deer behind every tree...

X2. They're turning it into a rich man's game. Access is becoming harder & harder and these shows share the blame.
Let's go Brandon!
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:17 am

There are some that couldn't get it done on there own, but the ones you mentioned (Lee, Stan, and Shockey) in my opinion are the real deal. So are the Drurys, Greg Miller, Bill Winke just to name a few others. Potts got his start on public land whacking some nice deer before anyone knew him, and so did Miller.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:39 am

It might not be your cup of tea... But they have fans and sponsors so somebody likes them... I have talked with Lee and Tiff many times, and really like them as people and hunters. But, im not into there show, or any show for that matter... I try not to call out certain people by name with hurtful comments about there shows, cause I wouldn't feel good about someone doing that to me...
I think we all should thank Tiffany L. for all she has done for hunting... Before she hit the big screen women did not hunt much. Now hunting has become more of a family thing, and has become more acceptable to a lot of people... I think there are lots of positives with hunting shows...
I do agree, there are a lot of shows that are bad out there... But we all are not going to like the same things and if you don't like it, hey, its a free world, don't watch it. Given the choice, I generally tune into cop's or forensics shows... Watching someone else hunt is boring to me.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:21 am

One thing I appreciate about major league Bowhunters is that they do show the failures as well as successes. I remember one show where Danker hunted 17 days straight only to miss the buck on his last day. They also do talk openly and honestly about leased or outfitter land so if nothing else they are least honest about what they do.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:10 pm

I never watch them and won't. DOn't believe hunting should be portrayed like what I have seen. I have not seen many though. I have heard Lee and Tiifany are really nice people though. The reason I won't watch them is cause I think trophy buck hunting and the size of the buck many times coincides with how much money is being spent on land, time off work and guided hunts in Canada ECT. I might be wrong though, but if I had a million dollars, I would shoot bigger bucks too. Lee and Tiffany spend a fortune , but I never heard of them bragging . I also think private land deer are evolving into " super bucks" with many generations of unnatural high amounts of protein, and deer feeding all winter. Hardly even natural deer anymore.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”