morning vs evening hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraphunter

morning vs evening hunting

Unread postby backstraphunter » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:49 am

when do most of you kill your bucks ? me i have never shot a buck in the morings hunting michigans U.P other hunters hunting with me have i allways get them 3 pm to last 10 to 5 min of shooting light i miss spoak i killed my biggest buck in the moring with a crossbow only one tho
Last edited by backstraphunter on Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dewey

Re: moring vrs evening hunting

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:12 am

Only shot one good buck in the morning but that was during the rut. I hunted mornings quite a bit years ago without much luck so I stick to evenings now except during the rut when I do all day sits. Mornings are very tough for older bucks since they are rarely on their feet after daylight. I prefer to save my energy and stack the odds in my favor with an evening hunt.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:46 am

Dewey wrote:Only shot one good buck in the morning but that was during the rut. I hunted mornings quite a bit years ago without much luck so I stick to evenings now except during the rut when I do all day sits. Mornings are very tough for older bucks since they are rarely on their feet after daylight. I prefer to save my energy and stack the odds in my favor with an evening hunt.

I second Deweys response.

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:12 am

I have had kills in both I see more action in the morning. But I have seen a lot of nice bucks in the 10-11 am area.
My 2 best bucks were 8.42am and 10.24am
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:16 am

During rut mornings are awesome... Outside of rut I find most big bucks bedded before daylight.
Philski

Unread postby Philski » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:11 pm

I'm not a beast hunter so to speak. Most of my hunting is rut. Majority of good bucks been am. Normally I hunt all day. This is not popular but to keep fresh I'll hunt til 2pm and call it a day a couple times during November. At 56 I need the rest. Also at times it's practical to get out of the woods at a time when I wont spook does. Afternoon is often better than walking out near dark in some spots. I stack the odds by trying to get in early in a high traffic funnel during the rut and sit all day. If I had the time and skill to identify multiple buck beds like some of the guys on this site I would probably do better during evening hunts. But do to my situation I find I'm a better a.m. buck killer.

remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:47 pm

Seems I've always had the most action on evening hunts outside of the rut. But the last five years I've been working 3rd shift, and between work and getting my daughter on the weekends I'm pretty much stuck only hunting mornings now, so far I've been tagging out on my buck tags every year, usually early season bow kills. Morning deer sightings stay pretty consistent for me during bow season on hunts after work during the week when I have the woods to myself.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:15 pm

I have killed the majority of my bucks in the PM. I like to hunt in the thick stuff and it is tough to get in there in the dark early morning.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Re: morning vs evening hunting

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:51 pm

Killed most of my deer outside of the rut in the evenings. I did have a kill this year right in near a bucks bed and caught him coming back at first light. Really haven't tried hunting near to many buck beds in the mornings so I can't speak on this personally but I think from trail camera photos that 90 percent of the mature bucks are back to their beds before light outside of the rut.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:12 am

Have killed my best rut bucks in the later AMs (8-11 AM). Outside of the rut, I can count on one hand how many times I have had encounters in the stand with mature bucks in the AM, which is why I take advantage of the extra sleep outside of the last week of October until IL/WI gun season which is typically the 3rd weekend of November. Like someone stated above, those ol' boys typically get back to bed earlier than we can legally hunt them.
JROD157

Unread postby JROD157 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:44 am

My success is split exactly at 50% in harvesting P&Y bucks morning vs. evening. Only one of them has been killed during the rut. The others were harvested pre or post rut. Stand access plays the most important role in hunting morning vs evening for me. Both can be real good.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:00 am

Dewey wrote:Only shot one good buck in the morning but that was during the rut. I hunted mornings quite a bit years ago without much luck so I stick to evenings now except during the rut when I do all day sits. Mornings are very tough for older bucks since they are rarely on their feet after daylight. I prefer to save my energy and stack the odds in my favor with an evening hunt.

Ditto
Good post!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
tcop7
500 Club

Unread postby tcop7 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:55 am

I've killed 2 bucks in the morning but both were during gun season. I've had the most sightings of bucks during the evening for archery. I have seen a few nice ones in the morning during the rut. Since I joined this site I have quit hunting mornings until the rut just because the chances of bagging one are slim it seems in the morning during archery.

[glow=green]Experience Is What You Get When You Didn't Get What You Wanted![/glow]

[glow=blue]McLaughlin Athletic Center[/glow]
[glow=blue]Northwest Ohio's Youth Sports Complex![/glow]
[dropshadow=blue]Visit us at --->[/dropshadow]http://www.macgymohio.com/ [dropshadow=blue]<---[/dropshadow]
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:06 am

Almost all of my bucks are evening kills. I have two on the wall killed in the morning, but they were during the rut and they move pretty good in the morning then.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”