Going Undercover

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

msailor

Going Undercover

Unread postby msailor » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:31 am

I found well used buck bed on public the other day. Identifying this buck's staging area will be very important to slapping my tag on him come this fall. The buck can be easily viewed from a safe distance when he stands up from his bed in the evening but my viewing location has to be from a somewhat heavily used human trail away from my vehicle. What are some tricks you guys use to be inconspicious to the random passerby? What's the most effort you ever put in to not be noticed by other hunters or pedestrians?

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Going Undercover

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:47 am

If you have to be seen by other hunters. It sometimes just helps to stay in sight, act like a goof ball. Act like your hunting when another hunter goes by. This will often cause other hunters to ignore the area you are watching the buck from.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:57 am

Since you will be observing, you can also bring your binos and a birdwatching book and act like your bird watching. There are a lot of birdwatchers where I hunt so I've used it to my advantage. Even when I scout I don't wear the camo get up. A lot of times in the warmer weather I wear old shoes and clothes I don't mind getting muddy or wet (spares in the car and a bag for the soiled ones).

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:11 am

One of the biggest bucks I ever arrowed I was glassing from a main public parking lot... I had a covert car so people would not know who I was with stickers on it that said I break for raccoons and such. It was a red station wagon. I wore my work clothes and read the paper when people pulled in or walked out.
I killed that buck the 1st time I hunted him less than a stones throw from the parking lot, and passed a solid 140 class 10 point just before shooting him.
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:59 pm

I dont know about everybody else, but Im going to buy a red station wagon tomorrow!

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:11 pm

HoosierG5 wrote:I dont know about everybody else, but Im going to buy a red station wagon tomorrow!

wood grain on the side? I'd go pea green "family truckster" wagon like Clark Grizwald. :lol:
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:35 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:
HoosierG5 wrote:I dont know about everybody else, but Im going to buy a red station wagon tomorrow!

wood grain on the side? I'd go pea green "family truckster" wagon like Clark Grizwald. :lol:

HAHA!!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:44 pm

I use my mountain bike. Even if it means taking my truck and pulling the bike out when needed and ride it the rest of the way. Easier to get in a better position offroad for glassing and easy enough to stay well hidden from nosey people.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:41 am

John eberhart uses mini vans with soccer mom stickers on it when he hunts. One of the best hunters in Michigan. I've thought about parking 2 miles away then riding my mountain bike to my private just so the neighbors wouldn't know when I'm there.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:48 am

Lol funny you say that im in the middle of the eberhart dvd set and now that u said that his mini vans are in the dvds lol

mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:19 am

I have a spot that is right next to a lake... it froze early this year, so I grabbed my sled, ice fishing rods, and a bucket. I hid my bow on the bottom of hte sled and laid a blanket on top of it, and pretended to be going out to fish... i walked past a ton of guys who never gave me a second glance. When I went around a bend and nobody was looking, I bolted for the marsh and just left my ice fishing gear buried in the cattails by my entrance. I was pretty proud of that stealthy entrance. haha
backstraphunter

Unread postby backstraphunter » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:30 pm

L.O.L Dan thats a good one was this the long hair days or after the hair cut did you cut holes in the news paper to look through ?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:53 am

backstraphunter wrote:L.O.L Dan thats a good one was this the long hair days or after the hair cut did you cut holes in the news paper to look through ?

Long hair... Lots of newspaper reading hippies around these parts though...

backstraphunter

Unread postby backstraphunter » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:15 am

theres a no neck buck for you all body
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:19 am

The 400 lb buck. 8-)

I've seen that slob so many times yet it still blows my mind. What a freak of nature! :shock:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”