The Secret to Killing Big Bucks - Mark Kenyon

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetailassasin

Re: The Secret to Killing Big Bucks - Mark Kenyon

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:15 am

A few years back, I was obsessed with hunting. I quit jobs just like many stated, went through a divorce, and lost touch with friends and family. I didn't want to lose my drive, but wanted to find a balance. I started scouting at home a lot, reading and posting on this site. I tried to be a sponge of knowledge so when I did put boots to the ground I got the most out of my scouts. It cut my time away in half, I seen better quality animals, and I hunted less but when I did hunt it was with a more direct purpose. It's worked well for me. I still live and breathe chasing mature deer, but I also am enjoying others areas of life I had previously lost touch in. I was so bad, guys I used to hunt with would say I was possessed. I would go above and beyond. I would push my body to the limits lots of times. It was my passion. Still is today. But I've also learned that balance needs to be a constant. IMO there are ways to maximize your knowledge and understanding of how and why deer move and where to find them, without wondering around for days and days in the woods. I go in with a purpose now, many guys map interpretation has greatly improved my ability to do the same. I've added my loved ones into what I do now. "Nature walks" with my significant other. "Spot lighting" with the kids. It's truly helped, as well as put me in the position to chase quality animals.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

WiredToHunt

Unread postby WiredToHunt » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:37 am

Glad you guys enjoyed this one! It's one of my favorites I've written as well.
Mark Kenyon
Founder of WiredToHunt.com
Host of The Wired To Hunt Podcast
JROD157

Unread postby JROD157 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:52 am

IMO there are ways to maximize your knowledge and understanding of how and why deer move and where to find them, without wondering around for days and days in the woods. I go in with a purpose now, many guys map interpretation has greatly improved my ability to do the same. I've added my loved ones into what I do now. "Nature walks" with my significant other. "Spot lighting" with the kids. It's truly helped, as well as put me in the position to chase quality animals.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image[/quote]

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention quality over quantity. Time spent, in my opinion, is often confused with quality effort . For most of us who have more significant life priorities, time is very valuable. We must use those available moments advantageously so we continue to experience success in the woods and those other areas do not suffer. For me, the learning curve is significant, but that is another enjoyable challenge to an already ridiculously difficult sport in chasing mature deer with a bow.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:42 pm

My #1 goal this year is to worry more about my hunting. I'm going to not worry about my hunting buddies seeing deer by putting them in my best spots. Sit all day instead of getting down to do something for them. Be a little selfish for me cause I'm on big deer but it's time to seal the deal. Too many times I get down to help a buddy and check the camera when I get back to the stand only to see a mature buck came through while I was out of the stand. It's time to put me first.

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:53 am

vtbuck wrote:My #1 goal this year is to worry more about my hunting. I'm going to not worry about my hunting buddies seeing deer by putting them in my best spots. Sit all day instead of getting down to do something for them. Be a little selfish for me cause I'm on big deer but it's time to seal the deal. Too many times I get down to help a buddy and check the camera when I get back to the stand only to see a mature buck came through while I was out of the stand. It's time to put me first.

I'd rather have good friends than a big buck on the wall. My friends wouldn't want me to give up my best spot, so I can see your frustration there. Being selfish never pays in the long run though.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:55 am

Great thread lots of interesting stuff.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
backstraphunter

Unread postby backstraphunter » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:30 am

this is who and what i want too be in the 5% club thats what drew me to this sight.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:14 am

I hunt date and work in that order. No matter what job I have I request off at least 30 days of deer season. I can work anywhere the rest of the year. The time I spend in the woods is my time. Jobs nowadays just say your overly qualified and pay people half of what they deserve so I take no job seriously loyalty cost and job company's only see people as slave workers. People who devote 50 hours in a office cubicle a week same thing as prison in my eyes no life. The peace and tranquility I find in the woods reminds me freedom exist. Deer hunting takes away all that stress of fast paced living. I'm sure when I have children and a wife my views will change but deer hunting is the main reason I go to work each day saving for that special time in November. and wake up each morning at this stage of my life.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:04 am

The average hunter watches the DVDs/TV shows and doesn't realize the time these people are spending. For many it's their only job. The others a time consuming second job. And that's not counting the actual hunts. My 2 failed marriages weren't because I spent too much time hunting. I defineatly wasn't specifically trophy hunting during those times. If your young and not married and aren't planning on getting married give yourself a few years to learn and become a trophy hunter. If marriage or other commitments eventually come your knowledge will help you to be able to spend your hunting time wisely. As far as the becoming a successful big buck hunter the realization that hard work is the only way to obtain consistant success and acting on it can be MAGICAL. Maybe that's the real pixie dust.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:29 am

stash59 wrote:The average hunter watches the DVDs/TV shows and doesn't realize the time these people are spending. For many it's their only job. The others a time consuming second job. And that's not counting the actual hunts.

You make an excellent point.

I love to hunt but I wouldn't want it for my job. Too much time away from home and too physically demanding for a guy like me with too many aftermarket parts in my back.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:07 am

There are plenty of people who work hard and don't have a wall to show for it. Its easy to be successful at something and say its due to hard work and make others feel like crap when they don't have your success. For some people things just come natural. The success rate of hunters is only in the 35% range and that's on any deer, not just big bucks. I used to shoot small bucks with ease while friends and family couldn't. I didn't work any harder than them or others that didn't get any deer, I was just luck. Id go to their land for the first time and shoot a deer. One yr a group of us were hunting a friends farm and none of us had gotten a deer. It was last morning and my friend shot a 7pnt. The 3 of them were high fiving each other saying finally somebody out did me. I met up with them at the edge of the woods and they rubbed it in. They started to walk away and I asked if they were going to help me drag my deer? I shot an 8pnt that morning. I could say I worked harder but truth is i was just luckier all those yrs. No doubt if my group lived in a better area we would have shot bigger bucks without any additional effort. No doubt some of you work hard every year and shoot a nice buck or don't shoot one, but I promise you there are guys who don't put in half your effort that are shooting them too. I realize many will beat me down for this post, but its reality. Here's another example, I've got almost every job I've ever interviewed for. I have no formal education/colledge degree and make great money. I could talk about all the hard work that I did and make others who have worked harder with less feel they didn't work as hard as me, but that would be a lie. Some people are just luckier and the sooner you come to terms with that the better. Who doesn't have a friend that was a chick magnet and was nothing special? I had a friend who just got girls everywhere we went. Id ask a girl, what do you think of my friend? He is kinda fat they would say and an hour later Id ask again as they were hanging on him and they would say I don't know, there is just something about him. He must have put in a lot of time and hard work he? Lol I've fished in the same shanty using the same jig/bait as my friend and he couldn't get a bite while I pulled them in hand over fist. I've been on the other end and got skunked while my friend caught fish. Plenty of people have bad luck. Desire is another word thrown around as if only the successful people have it. Seriously?

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:46 am

Ken, I agree with some of what your saying... But there are plenty of people who are successful because they work harder at it than others.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:07 pm

I mentioned that Dan, and when the yr comes you don't shoot a buck it wont be cause you didn't work hard at it. I've read your posts, no doubt some of your success comes from shear hours on stand. That in itself is the hardest in my opinion. It takes mental toughness to sit hour after hour, day after day. I also acknowledge you have a natural ability. I've seen places you have shot big bucks, yet no way I would think to set there. No cover, limited sign, but you pull it off. I had the same experience walking the woods with John Eberhart. He showed a tree, no way Id sit in it. I walked land with Tony Lapratt, same thing. His stand placement seemed horrible to me, but he kills nice bucks. I spoke in depth with his hunting partner Chris and he said i seemed to be doing things right. Apparently Im not doing things right, or Im really unlucky. I love to scout, sometimes more than hunting. i enjoy walking new ground, exploring. Maybe Im missing the obvious and hunting the thick where the deer aren't. Ive been accused of over thinking it too much. Look at your buddy Dave, you say pick your stand on his land and you pick second and who shoots the big buck? He hunts and hangs around you, he should know a ton about your methods by now and yet you get the deer. I have a friend who puts friends in his best stands and he sits a random spot to just be out in the woods that day and friends see dinks and he watches big bucks parade by. He can't give his luck away. Lol moderators on here sat your best stands, nothing. I realize not every day is a killing day, but some days there's luck, lots of it.

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:27 pm

kenn1320 wrote:I mentioned that Dan, and when the yr comes you don't shoot a buck it wont be cause you didn't work hard at it. I've read your posts, no doubt some of your success comes from shear hours on stand. That in itself is the hardest in my opinion. It takes mental toughness to sit hour after hour, day after day. I also acknowledge you have a natural ability. I've seen places you have shot big bucks, yet no way I would think to set there. No cover, limited sign, but you pull it off. I had the same experience walking the woods with John Eberhart. He showed a tree, no way Id sit in it. I walked land with Tony Lapratt, same thing. His stand placement seemed horrible to me, but he kills nice bucks. I spoke in depth with his hunting partner Chris and he said i seemed to be doing things right. Apparently Im not doing things right, or Im really unlucky. I love to scout, sometimes more than hunting. i enjoy walking new ground, exploring. Maybe Im missing the obvious and hunting the thick where the deer aren't. Ive been accused of over thinking it too much. Look at your buddy Dave, you say pick your stand on his land and you pick second and who shoots the big buck? He hunts and hangs around you, he should know a ton about your methods by now and yet you get the deer. I have a friend who puts friends in his best stands and he sits a random spot to just be out in the woods that day and friends see dinks and he watches big bucks parade by. He can't give his luck away. Lol moderators on here sat your best stands, nothing. I realize not every day is a killing day, but some days there's luck, lots of it.

I'm with you Bro...

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:55 am

You make a good point Ken.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”