The Secret to Killing Big Bucks - Mark Kenyon

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

Re: The Secret to Killing Big Bucks - Mark Kenyon

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:06 am

kenn1320 wrote:There are plenty of people who work hard and don't have a wall to show for it. Its easy to be successful at something and say its due to hard work and make others feel like crap when they don't have your success. For some people things just come natural. The success rate of hunters is only in the 35% range and that's on any deer, not just big bucks. I used to shoot small bucks with ease while friends and family couldn't. I didn't work any harder than them or others that didn't get any deer, I was just luck. Id go to their land for the first time and shoot a deer. One yr a group of us were hunting a friends farm and none of us had gotten a deer. It was last morning and my friend shot a 7pnt. The 3 of them were high fiving each other saying finally somebody out did me. I met up with them at the edge of the woods and they rubbed it in. They started to walk away and I asked if they were going to help me drag my deer? I shot an 8pnt that morning. I could say I worked harder but truth is i was just luckier all those yrs. No doubt if my group lived in a better area we would have shot bigger bucks without any additional effort. No doubt some of you work hard every year and shoot a nice buck or don't shoot one, but I promise you there are guys who don't put in half your effort that are shooting them too. I realize many will beat me down for this post, but its reality. Here's another example, I've got almost every job I've ever interviewed for. I have no formal education/colledge degree and make great money. I could talk about all the hard work that I did and make others who have worked harder with less feel they didn't work as hard as me, but that would be a lie. Some people are just luckier and the sooner you come to terms with that the better. Who doesn't have a friend that was a chick magnet and was nothing special? I had a friend who just got girls everywhere we went. Id ask a girl, what do you think of my friend? He is kinda fat they would say and an hour later Id ask again as they were hanging on him and they would say I don't know, there is just something about him. He must have put in a lot of time and hard work he? Lol I've fished in the same shanty using the same jig/bait as my friend and he couldn't get a bite while I pulled them in hand over fist. I've been on the other end and got skunked while my friend caught fish. Plenty of people have bad luck. Desire is another word thrown around as if only the successful people have it. Seriously?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I agree with some of that too, but I think it is much more than luck in most cases. Maybe you are better at spotting deer than your buddies, or sitting more still, or picking the right tree or playing wind. Maybe you don't even realize you are doing these things, but at a certain point, it isn't just luck. Most things have a reason when they become consistent. I've had the same experience ices fishing many times as well, meaning same bait same location, different results, both ways. Almost invariably, I'm able to discern some subtle difference, be it subtle jig action, specific depth, micro-structure under the hole, line weight (several time 2 vs 4 pound made a HUGE difference). Point is, I don't think very many things that happen with some consistency come down to simple luck.

On the same token, there are plenty of people who work just as hard at something but just plain don't have the aptitude for a given task. I could work as hard as I possibly could, but I probably don't have world class sprinter in my future (not just because I'm too old...). At the same time, Ussain Bolt may have such immense genetic talent that he doesn't have to work as hard as other on the fringe of world class (not saying this is true, just an example).

The combination of hard work and general aptitude can be a pretty dangerous combination in most circumstances though.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”