Hill country...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BBH1980

Re: Hill country...

Unread postby BBH1980 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:33 pm

dan wrote:
BBH1980 wrote:
dan wrote:
Jphunter wrote:Dan, Some of the mountain type ridges that I have seen don't really have a military crest but they have benches and small spurs. Are these the ones that you are talking about when you say deer seem to prefer a cross wind instead of a down hill wind?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

It depends on the elevation and relation to the top of the ridge... If they can't smell the wind from above, cause of elevation where the bench is, they like a cross wind where they can smell from behind and below. That could get a little complicated though, cause the wind speed can make a difference on how far down scent from above rolls... Just making the statement that I have seen consistent bedding on lower benchs with more of a cross wind.

When you say crosswind are you talking about wind blowing parallel to the slope as opposed to down from the top?

yes

BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:37 pm

BBH1980 wrote:
dan wrote:
BBH1980 wrote:
dan wrote:
Jphunter wrote:Dan, Some of the mountain type ridges that I have seen don't really have a military crest but they have benches and small spurs. Are these the ones that you are talking about when you say deer seem to prefer a cross wind instead of a down hill wind?

It depends on the elevation and relation to the top of the ridge... If they can't smell the wind from above, cause of elevation where the bench is, they like a cross wind where they can smell from behind and below. That could get a little complicated though, cause the wind speed can make a difference on how far down scent from above rolls... Just making the statement that I have seen consistent bedding on lower benchs with more of a cross wind.

When you say crosswind are you talking about wind blowing parallel to the slope as opposed to down from the top?

yes

http://photos.thehuntingbeast.com/displ ... play_media

Sorry finally got pic to appear. This is the public I am hunting. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Where the "deer track" icon is is where the biggest rub is and where the rubs start on the hill. Straight up is north. Thanks.
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:52 pm

dan wrote:
BBH1980 wrote:
dan wrote:

yes

The picture is the public I am scouting. The "deer track" icon is a large track I found next to a cluster of big rubs old and new. It's also the elevation where the rubs start. Any thoughts on how to scout it would be appreciated! You can see the benches on the hills. Each with it's own military crest. Thanks !
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:12 pm

dan wrote:
BBH1980 wrote:
dan wrote:

yes

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:39 am

Each bedding area has its unique characteristics... You have to look at it and evaluate if they are bedding based on a wind thermal combination, which may or may not be in relation to the rest of the hill, or if they are bedding based on a transition edge with wind to back like in farm, or if they found a spot where thermals and winds suck in from multiple directions like in a bowl, or maybe some unique cover that you cant get close in without detection like marsh cattails... This is the reason I say you need to learn bedding in every terrain. Cause within hill you will find marsh like bedding, farm like bedding, etc... Bottom line is after you learn how bucks bed in each terrain, you will be able to read bedding areas and understand when and why they are bedding there.
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:03 am

dan wrote:Each bedding area has its unique characteristics... You have to look at it and evaluate if they are bedding based on a wind thermal combination, which may or may not be in relation to the rest of the hill, or if they are bedding based on a transition edge with wind to back like in farm, or if they found a spot where thermals and winds suck in from multiple directions like in a bowl, or maybe some unique cover that you cant get close in without detection like marsh cattails... This is the reason I say you need to learn bedding in every terrain. Cause within hill you will find marsh like bedding, farm like bedding, etc... Bottom line is after you learn how bucks bed in each terrain, you will be able to read bedding areas and understand when and why they are bedding there.

Thanks Dan. I have all of your DVDs and the only one I haven't watched is marsh. I didn't realize they would bed anything different in hill country than what's on the hill DVD. This helps a good bit with these huge hills. I've neevr hunted public so I'm new to beast and public land but listening to you has given me confidence to do it.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:36 am

BBH1980 wrote:
dan wrote:
BBH1980 wrote:
dan wrote:

yes

I garentee you no one is parking along that highway to the west and walking up that STEEP mountain. Right where the highway runs off the picture if you look up that ridge there is a bench/point. I don't like that its west facing though b/c we almost always get West winds here in Pa. But still, man if I were a big boy i'd be there. No one is walking 2 miles up that mountain from other side either. I'd scout all that west side if i were you, those little benches and knobs above the highway. I also see a huge old clear cut on the private land to the NNW on the north side of that next ridge with more very small knobs and benches. Man that looks good to hold alot of deer. its gonna suck to walk that but i garentee there is no human scent on that side of the ridge up above the highway. That all needs scouted.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
BBH1980

Unread postby BBH1980 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:12 am

rfickes87 wrote:
BBH1980 wrote:
dan wrote:
BBH1980 wrote:
dan wrote:

yes

I garentee you no one is parking along that highway to the west and walking up that STEEP mountain. Right where the highway runs off the picture if you look up that ridge there is a bench/point. I don't like that its west facing though b/c we almost always get West winds here in Pa. But still, man if I were a big boy i'd be there. No one is walking 2 miles up that mountain from other side either. I'd scout all that west side if i were you, those little benches and knobs above the highway. I also see a huge old clear cut on the private land to the NNW on the north side of that next ridge with more very small knobs and benches. Man that looks good to hold alot of deer. its gonna suck to walk that but i garentee there is no human scent on that side of the ridge up above the highway. That all needs scouted.

Thanks for the info! I was thinking about that for my next trip.. whats kept me is the fact that its west facing... I am hoping I can find some laurel they are using and bedding on a north or south cross wind. I cant imagine there is much if any human intrusion there. Even what I am finding on that hill to the top.. I have been on it twice scouting and I blow deer everytime right on the 1/3 top. Where in PA are you?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”