All day sits in November?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mattyq2402

All day sits in November?

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:17 pm

I'm wondering if those hunters on here who hunt leeward
ridges and wind tunnels do so all day sits or if its an approach that serves specifically morning hunts?? Further I'm curious if you have an elevation drop from 900 feet to 800 feet on a ridge, say for a quarter mile with a consistent elevation of 800 feet, does the wind tunnel approach still work for setting up on the leeward hill side as the elevation gradually decreases toward a point or bottom, I hope this makes sense.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: All day sits in November?

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:30 pm

Works all day as thermals, wind, and hunting pressure allow. It applies in your situation....big hills to small hills to edges on level terrain.

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:18 am

Have had lots of success in the hills om all day sits in November. I tend to see most of my movement in the hills during the midday hours but have killed them at all hours of the day in November

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:23 am

I have done a few all day sits in the rut but lately am taking the approach to move locations through the day...and honestly I rarely have a full day to hunt anyway. Peak rut I see most big bucks cruising between about 10AM and 2PM so that is the time I try to be sitting cruising funnels. It takes a leap of faith to sleep in and climb into your stand at 9AM with the intention of climbing down mid-afternoon but I have been impressed with how well it has worked. Hunting morning and evening I try to get in closer to where buck travel routes intersect with doe travel routes.

As to the leeward slope question I think you see the most consistent movement on leeward slopes when the sidehills are steeper rather than flatter. I think that makes for more consistent wind and thermals near the top around that 1/3 down elevation and which result in more consistent buck movement.

There are so many variations to travel across and along ridges though...you really have to pay attention to sign and how deer are moving through the area. One thing the longer ridge you have the better it will be for cruising all else being equal. Also bucks are not just moving randomly in the rut, they are methodically checking out all the places does might be....that means for any cruising funnel to be good bucks have to be moving through there for a reason, preferably several reasons. It shouldn't be just a leeward slope, it should be also between A and B.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:53 am

I believe in all day sits usually sit all day in November and December . Several of my biggest bucks I've seen have been strange hours in the first two weeks in November. One I got this year 8.42am saw a monster a few years ago at 10.14am. Saw a big 8 at 10.47 Saw a really nice 140 class 8 2pm. Probably the best midday spot would be the wind tunnel downwind of a doe bedding area on the Lee side during the rut . I know midday saddles in these bedding areas can be great.
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
dkoy85

Unread postby dkoy85 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:27 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:Works all day as thermals, wind, and hunting pressure allow. It applies in your situation....big hills to small hills to edges on level terrain.

I'll be hunting a lot of level/flat terrain this year with a ton of edge- Your saying the edge in this type of terrain has a similar effect on wind and currents as in hill country? This would really help me narrow down some spots!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:46 am

dkoy85 wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:Works all day as thermals, wind, and hunting pressure allow. It applies in your situation....big hills to small hills to edges on level terrain.

I'll be hunting a lot of level/flat terrain this year with a ton of edge- Your saying the edge in this type of terrain has a similar effect on wind and currents as in hill country? This would really help me narrow down some spots!

Yes, but to a lesser extent. The most significant edges will have relatively large changes in cover density. This creates a difference in air resistance and solar transmittance which in turn creates a scent tunnel on hard edges.

dkoy85

Unread postby dkoy85 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:05 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
dkoy85 wrote:

Yes, but to a lesser extent. The most significant edges will have relatively large changes in cover density. This creates a difference in air resistance and solar transmittance which in turn creates a scent tunnel on hard edges.

That's interesting and very useful. I'll definitely be playing with milkweed along these edges.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:53 am

JoeRE wrote:I have done a few all day sits in the rut but lately am taking the approach to move locations through the day...and honestly I rarely have a full day to hunt anyway. Peak rut I see most big bucks cruising between about 10AM and 2PM so that is the time I try to be sitting cruising funnels. It takes a leap of faith to sleep in and climb into your stand at 9AM with the intention of climbing down mid-afternoon but I have been impressed with how well it has worked. Hunting morning and evening I try to get in closer to where buck travel routes intersect with doe travel routes.

As to the leeward slope question I think you see the most consistent movement on leeward slopes when the sidehills are steeper rather than flatter. I think that makes for more consistent wind and thermals near the top around that 1/3 down elevation and which result in more consistent buck movement.

There are so many variations to travel across and along ridges though...you really have to pay attention to sign and how deer are moving through the area. One thing the longer ridge you have the better it will be for cruising all else being equal. Also bucks are not just moving randomly in the rut, they are methodically checking out all the places does might be....that means for any cruising funnel to be good bucks have to be moving through there for a reason, preferably several reasons. It shouldn't be just a leeward slope, it should be also between A and B.

Until you try this method it is hard to break tradition of getting up before light and hunting early morning. I start at 10:00 AM way more than I start before light. A good friend of mine put me on to this 35 years ago. I originally thought he was blowing smoke. As the season grinds on it is way more fun for me to do the 3 Ss and then go hunting. I am way more rested and it doesn't seem like a job.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:11 am

I killed my bucks last year in the evening on leeward sides after the thermals switched. Keys are to be close enough to the bed and ability to shoot the buck before he winds you.

But the best movement I have seen over the years has been 8am-2pm for all day rut cruising sets, leeward or otherwise.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:10 am

Stanley wrote:
Until you try this method it is hard to break tradition of getting up before light and hunting early morning. I start at 10:00 AM way more than I start before light. A good friend of mine put me on to this 35 years ago. I originally thought he was blowing smoke. As the season grinds on it is way more fun for me to do the 3 Ss and then go hunting. I am way more rested and it doesn't seem like a job.

Very true. I think I am in the middle of learning that now. I find myself climbing into my stand an hour or more before light less and less the last few years...sure in some spots its necessary but far from always.
mattyq2402

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:00 am

My next question would be if u are hunting a saddle on ridgetop with bedding just below on the fingers nearby wouldn't you be safer to access before daylight rather than after daybreak? I have one saddle in mind and a pretty good access.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:17 am

Depends on your access. I think it is safest to enter when you know where the buck is (in his bed). If you are talking mature bucks, beating them to the bed is an issue even 1-2 hours before daylight may not be enough. Even if you do beat them back, remaining undetected is the next obstacle.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:26 am

mattyq2402 wrote:My next question would be if u are hunting a saddle on ridgetop with bedding just below on the fingers nearby wouldn't you be safer to access before daylight rather than after daybreak? I have one saddle in mind and a pretty good access.

I seem to be a bit more quiet after daybreak than before daylight, unless it's a windy night. Things are still before daylight and noise is amplified. After daylight you have some wind, birds chirping, and just the usual daytime noise. It has always amazed me at what I can hear when I'm in a stand an hour before daylight. Even though I like the stillness and watching the woods come alive with daybreak, I think it's easier to move in after daybreak. Plus you can see a distance, where as in the dark you can walk up on something that freaks out you're not prepared for. I still like being there before daylight but not for any benefit, I just like it. It does make all day sits pretty tiring.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”