the big one that got away update...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

the big one that got away update...

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:20 am

My trailcam is in a marsh up north and its the only one I have right now...

I talked my buddy to get his cam out and on the farm...

He hung it near his corn pile...he feeds the coons and figures a corn pile will keep them out of his feed bin in the barn...lol

Anyways...its been out a few weeks...he spreads manure on that farm daily...

He pulls the card every sunday... Always with his grandkids...

The buck is using the farm but not coming near the corn pile...

He got pics of him...assuming its him by tracks in the snow..he wouldn't come any closer than about 75yds...he stayed out there for over an hour...

Hopefully its him and he is alive and well....

And I thought it was interesting...confirming what we all know about mature bucks...they simply avoid where people go...even in the dead of a long cold winter....he won't come in for a free easy meal...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

mauser06
500 Club

Re: the big one that got away update...

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:06 pm

Disregard....

My friend that checked the card is an idiot...it wasn't a deer 75yds away....it was snow flakes...

But....I do believe we have pics of him...a deer came in and it has a tuft of fur on its left shoulder that is not laying right..can't see antler holes..... But it looks like a buck to me...

The bad news.....he's really thin...which is another reason I believe it is him...

I am in fear of him dying if it doesn't warm up really quick...

I will post a few pics tonight or tomorrow..

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:02 pm

Looking forward to the pics.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:59 am

now im not so sure after looking at the pics forever....

thats a regular 1.5yo buck that visits regularly for scale...

thats the pic that caught my eye...deer have marks on them by this time of year...and hair doesnt always sit flat...

the buck in question was hit on the left side and they saw the wound "high on its left shoulder" they believe...

this is a few minutes later...

the front end looks like it lost a substantial amount of weight..and it looks like its thinning out quick...

i dont know...if he lost his antlers a few weeks ago would you see antler holes??

the neck on it appears smaller than the 1.5yo so maybe it is a doe...

or maybe he left after that first pic and thats a thin doe...the neck and frame look bigger on the first pic that caught my eye...

my buddy isnt the best with setting up a camera as you can see...the corn is in the log pile...he wanted to keep the coons there working to get the corn...funny thing is he hasnt fed a coon yet lol...

i dont know what to think....i might go for a walk today and see if i cant find him or his tracks or his sheds..last time he was seen he was a half mile away though so he may actually been pushed from that farm...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”