Bed Or Scrape?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

msw08d

Bed Or Scrape?

Unread postby msw08d » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:52 am

Hey guys this is my first post here (rookie beast that hunts in Alabama)...looking to start using some of the beast tactics that I have been reading about here, so much great info. I found this spot at the end of this past season and was wondering if you think it is a bed or just a scrape? I can give you additional info about it but I just wanted to see based on the picture what your opinion was... Thanks!!!!

Ok So can someone give me directions on how to add a picture that is saved on my computer??? I cant seem to figure it out... I click on the image button but all that comes up is (img)(img) and it doesn't see to want to let me add one.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Bed Or Scrape?

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:13 am

Welcome to the Beast.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5754
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
msw08d

Unread postby msw08d » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:51 am

Wow thanks for the link Stanley I would have never figured that out.... Here's the photo!!

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:58 am

I would say bed. There appears to be no licking branch above if it were a scrape. If it were a boundary scrape it might not have one above it but most boundary scrapes aren't paid that much attention to unless it's a show for dominance and a fight happened in that location between bucks.The tree to the bucks back gives him cover as he sees it for bedding. Is it located on a point or Lee side of a ridge? . I had not considered a mineral lick I guess it's possible is it heavily hunted or private ground?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:23 am

Welcome to the Beast!

Looks like a mineral lick or bait site to me. The left side of it is cut and square (shovel) and the little grass clump island in the lower right with pawing around it are clues.

There is a lesser chance it is a scrape than what I listed above, but if it is the licking branch may be above the photo. My last choice would be its a bed.
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:29 am

Singing Bridge wrote:Welcome to the Beast!

Looks like a mineral lick or bait site to me. The left side of it is cut and square (shovel) and the little grass clump island in the lower right with pawing around it are clues.

There is a lesser chance it is a scrape than what I listed above, but if it is the licking branch may be above the photo. My last choice would be its a bed.

X2, that's what looks like to me, needles pushed back to clear ground for mineral...
"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
msw08d

Unread postby msw08d » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:59 am

Thanks for the info guys I will add a little more to the discussion. This is a new lease that I joined and I know that they did put out minerals during the summer but I am unsure as to where they were put. It definitely didn't look like anyone had been messing around there recently as it was the last week of hunting season (our rut). No licking branch that I can remember, a couple nice rubs in the area. At the time that I found it I just thought it was a scrape but after reading on here it hit me that it could be a bed. Here is an additional picture that might help... off to the right is a swamp/marshy area, food plots to the left and the area in question was towards the point but I am unsure of exactly where. I will be returning in several weeks to so some more post season scouting but the property is several hours away and I can't get up there as often as I would like.

msw08d

Unread postby msw08d » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:20 am

Looking at the picture zoomed in on my phone now I see a little grass growing in it... I guess maybe this could be an old mineral site or feed site from early in the season. I believe the clump in the right is a pine tree limb in the foreground.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:39 am

I had a friend who's a rather casual deer hunter ask me to look at some giant scrapes he had found... he kept bugging me so i finally went. He showed me two different spots where a guy had hunted out of a tent blind next to a tree, and had cleared the ground out under the tent. :lol: I suppose those could look light some mighty big scrapes!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:56 am

marked a few spots for you in yellow to look for buck bedding...

msw08d

Unread postby msw08d » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:54 am

Thanks a lot singing bridge I plan on going up to scout soon and I will definitely check those areas out!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”