How has archery hunting shaped you as a person?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

How has archery hunting shaped you as a person?

Unread postby xpauliber » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:58 pm

It's always happens this time of year. Muzzleloader season has been out for a month, the snow is deep, and short of a few coyote sets, I've mostly been out of the woods. The winter is at its peak and I spend quite a bit of time beside my woodburner in the basement looking at my mounts, re-living hunts, and reflecting on what I learned the past hunting season. Being inside so much has made the hunter inside me restless.

It kind of dawned on me this winter that I've been archery hunting for 19 years now and that means 19 opening days, 19 autumns where I watched the leaves and the woods transform around me, 19 ruts, and 19 last days. As I reflected on those seasons (especially the early ones and looking at how far I've come as a hunter) I also started reflecting on just how much archery means to me and how much it shaped me into the person that I am today. I'm sure that the guys on this forum more than any other on the internet can understand what I mean. Archery hunting is more than a hobby or something we do; it's part of who we are.

My son just turned 5 this month and I think that has also stirred up some eagerness within me to pass on what the archery woods have taught me about hunting...about being a man...about God...and just about life in general. Looking back, I know for a fact that archery hunting has taught me patience more than anything else could have. Countless hours I've spent in the woods waiting on that 20-yard antlered encounter. I know I'm a more patient man in other areas of my life because of what I've learned in the archery woods.

Archery hunting mature bucks has taught me that there aren't any shortcuts to success. You get out what you put into it. Understanding this concept has certainly helped me in other areas of my life including my professional life, my marriage, etc. Unfortunately, I've also learned that many people would prefer to take the easiest route as opposed to working for success. That's another reason I love BEAST style hunting so much; you can explain to someone step-by-step exactly what you did to kill a buck Beast style and more times than not, the reply you get is: "I don't want a buck that bad."

Archery hunting has taught me perseverance, to keep a positive attitude, and that no matter how hard you try, there are going to be things in life that you can't control; the only thing you can control is how you react. How many times have you executed your approach perfectly, got in your stand silently, waited patiently and then the wind swirled when the buck was on his way? You can get disgusted and hang the bow up for the season (like I've seen some guys do) or you accept it as part of the hunt and keep grinding it out. The first deer I ever killed was when I was 13 years old and the farmer came down to cut the corn an hour before dark. I was disgusted until I saw deer pouring out of the field directly towards the finger that I was setup in. I learned a life lesson that evening.

One of my absolute favorite things that archery hunting has taught me is to slow down, enjoy the little things in life, and it has brought me closer to God. As I climb into my treestand and melt into my surroundings as a passive observer, I love observing nature go about its course independent of me. Too often, I become the center of my own universe and think that the world revolves around me and I miss the big picture. Most times when I cross over a small stream back in the mountain, I stop and think about how this stream has flowed before me and how it will continue to flow even after I'm not around to cross it. I thank God for giving me the desire, ability, and time to participate in His creation. Archery hunting certainly helps keep me centered and I've learned to appreciate the little things in life because of it. I feel sorry when I see other people's lives revolve around TV and what reality shows are on. The real reality show is your own life and sadly a lot of people choose to spend it watching other people live their lives.

Sorry for rambling on but the cabin fever is really getting to me! haha So what has archery hunting taught you about yourself and about life in general?

Jackson Marsh

Re: How has archery hunting shaped you as a person?

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:49 pm

Great post XP! It was so good I have nothing to add. Well stated.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
bowhunter

Unread postby bowhunter » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:52 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Great post XP! It was so good I have nothing to add. Well stated.

Good post its really made me reflect on my three year archery hunts.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:01 pm

Good post

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
9pt
500 Club

Unread postby 9pt » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:57 pm

Great read. I am only two seasons into archery hunting but I can see similar lessons I am learning.
I went into it just thinking I would be able to hunt more and at warmer times.
I wound up seeing that hunting more time would not get it done. I also wound up enjoying the autumn leaves, learning about rut tactics, late season cold weather tactics, and now about hunting year round for the next great buck bed to set up on next season.
The lessons have compounded and I have started to see my commitment to achieve my hunting goals flow over into my view of how to achieve other life goals.
I admire my Creator and his Creation in new ways the more I learn about the woods and marsh.

9pt

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:48 pm

:shock: WOW... mind blowing post xpauliber! I thoroughly enjoyed every word!

To answer your question... what has archery hunting taught me?... It has taught me that ANY scenario is MIND over MATTER.

I can't get over your words man... that was awesome... pretty sure I'm going to re-read that several times in the next few days.
tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:59 pm

"The real reality show is your own life...."
Great line and great post. Thanks for sharing this.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:06 pm

Can't really add much to that. :clap: You pretty much said just how I feel. Pretty amazing how some people just don't get it. Glad we have plenty of like minded people here. 8-)

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:10 am

Good post! As I like to say the natural world is my Prozac and Ritalin all in one. Bowhunting is a large part of my connection with mother nature.

I say that partially as a joke but do believe a whole lot of people would need a whole lot fewer meds if they took time away from the zoo that is our modern lifestyle had a greater connection with old ma nature.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:35 am

Makes me more flexible and have a stronger right shoulder.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:46 am

Awesome post. Can't really add anything. I think it has taught me the importance of preparation..

pitz0022

Unread postby pitz0022 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:54 am

xpauliber wrote:One of my absolute favorite things that archery hunting has taught me is to slow down, enjoy the little things in life, and it has brought me closer to God. As I climb into my treestand and melt into my surroundings as a passive observer, I love observing nature go about its course independent of me. Too often, I become the center of my own universe and think that the world revolves around me and I miss the big picture. Most times when I cross over a small stream back in the mountain, I stop and think about how this stream has flowed before me and how it will continue to flow even after I'm not around to cross it. I thank God for giving me the desire, ability, and time to participate in His creation. Archery hunting certainly helps keep me centered and I've learned to appreciate the little things in life because of it. I feel sorry when I see other people's lives revolve around TV and what reality shows are on. The real reality show is your own life and sadly a lot of people choose to spend it watching other people live their lives.

^^^^^This is it for me.
Archery hunting (and waterfowl hunting) is my Yoga, my medetiation, my church. I don't need somebody whispering in my ear to breath and relax, the wind and trees and the birds, and everything else does that for me all by itself. I return to real life feeling refreshed and having a better disposition.

I guess I could say the same thing about fishing early in the morning before the recreational boaters are out and about. It is just like sitting aroud a campfire with your best buddies, nobody says a word and it turns out to be the best conversation of then entire trip. Nature definitely has a calming affect.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:43 am

If I didn't have the hunting/outdoors outlet I'm not sure I'd be where I am today.... that being happy and hopeful in many many regards.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:20 am

You shared some great messages and thoughts. Without nature I would be lost.
This comment came to me yesterday and relates somewhat so here goes.
I know today is different than yesterday. ..there is one less tomorrow.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:50 am

:clap:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”