Ever had a cat ruin a chance at a buck?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Ever had a cat ruin a chance at a buck?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:06 am

Ive heard of dogs doing this, but last year we had a barn cat come by the stand on the 2nd to last day in brutal cold. We sat the food plot since that where the big buck was coming in, first sit all season there. Everything going as planned, does filtering in upwind, then this cat come by in the brush and the adult does got curious as always. They came kind of stomping towards the cat and got downwind of us, otherwise would never have gone that direction. Well they mildly snorted but stayed put downwind. The 2 big shooters came out 5 mins afetr last light at 15 yards. It was too late to shoot. We heard them coming in but they hung up at about 50-60 yards, while watching/listening to the doe for warnings.

I used to like cats, but these barn cats are excessive around here. I pick up photos on every cam i have at some point. This one cat has really got on my nerves this season... Not sure why its ok to let a cat roam the surrounding 100 acres but a dog cant. BTW my dog stays in the yard.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Ever had a cat ruin a chance at a buck?

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:54 am

I had a feral cat walk past me in Iowa a few years back and most of the deer that hit the predator sce4nt freaked out. A lot of deer went thru and some freaked, some diddn't, and a few just got a little nervous.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:11 am

Not many cats get by me these days without an arrow in them.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Heisenberg

Unread postby Heisenberg » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:32 am

Don't think I've ever had a cat screw me up but had several hunts blown because of cows...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:53 am

At a buck, not that I know of. I did have a stupid black cat chasing a mole about 30 yards from me. I didnt want to shoot since I had about 45 minutes of light left and it just felt like a good night. Lost sight of the cat and a few minutes later a couple does come walking through exactly where I expected deer to come from. They are casually coming through when the cat returns on the other side of me with a mole in its mouth. It someone drops the mole and begins chasing it again. It startles the does and while looking at the cat, one picks me out and they spook. I went to draw on the cat soon after and just couldnt get a good shot.

Like said before, a feral cat rarely makes it by me with a bow in my hand. I have my eye on a big white one and a half black half white one this year. They both got by me last year and I had them on camera.

About 8 years ago we were after one in Michigan for about two years. My buddies just happen to box trap him the week I was there. He had been avoiding traps and bow hunters for a couple years. When we finally got him and put him down, I swear this thing was the size of a bobcat. He would actually stalk deer and go after them. He had no chance to actually get them but he would give it his best.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:55 am

You mean walking chicken wings?
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:02 pm

Bigb wrote:At a buck, not that I know of. I did have a stupid black cat chasing a mole about 30 yards from me. I didnt want to shoot since I had about 45 minutes of light left and it just felt like a good night. Lost sight of the cat and a few minutes later a couple does come walking through exactly where I expected deer to come from. They are casually coming through when the cat returns on the other side of me with a mole in its mouth. It someone drops the mole and begins chasing it again. It startles the does and while looking at the cat, one picks me out and they spook. I went to draw on the cat soon after and just couldnt get a good shot.

Like said before, a feral cat rarely makes it by me with a bow in my hand. I have my eye on a big white one and a half black half white one this year. They both got by me last year and I had them on camera.

About 8 years ago we were after one in Michigan for about two years. My buddies just happen to box trap him the week I was there. He had been avoiding traps and bow hunters for a couple years. When we finally got him and put him down, I swear this thing was the size of a bobcat. He would actually stalk deer and go after them. He had no chance to actually get them but he would give it his best.

This is what my cat does with deer.

http://youtu.be/W44Do-ZIMbk

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:17 pm

Is it legal to shoot cats? How do you know if they are feral or barn pets? Ive never really looked at a cat as a target, but this one really ticked me off. Im still mad about it. Ive shot coyotes with my bow without thinking twice, but never really thought about shooting cats.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:26 pm

johndeere506 wrote:Is it legal to shoot cats? How do you know if they are feral or barn pets? Ive never really looked at a cat as a target, but this one really ticked me off. Im still mad about it. Ive shot coyotes with my bow without thinking twice, but never really thought about shooting cats.

Box traps and give them to your local cat hoarding chapter. They do something with them.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:36 pm

Cat once, solid black walked in the direction I was expecting a buck to come from. Dogs many times. 4 wheelers many times. Duck hunters many times, squirrel hunters many times. I have had deer ruin my hunt a few times. Kids a few times. Stinking loud pick up truck a time or two. Farmer on a tractor more than a few times. One time, National guard in a Boeing CH-47 Chinook. Now that was a hunt wrecker of all hunt wreckers. Talk about loud and scare everything within miles. I was mad as a hornet.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:19 pm

johndeere506 wrote:Is it legal to shoot cats? How do you know if they are feral or barn pets? Ive never really looked at a cat as a target, but this one really ticked me off. Im still mad about it. Ive shot coyotes with my bow without thinking twice, but never really thought about shooting cats.

I would never shoot one... They cannot survive a Wisconsin winter unless they are getting help from a person. Which means, your shooting someones cat. Most likely a farm cat used to control mice in the barn.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:49 am

dan wrote:

I would never shoot one... They cannot survive a Wisconsin winter unless they are getting help from a person. Which means, your shooting someones cat. Most likely a farm cat used to control mice in the barn.

Thats kind of they way I saw it. I like walking targets as much as anyone else, but always figured it was someones pet. In the big woods, Ive never seen a cat.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”