Hornady American Whitetail and Superformance ammo

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

Hornady American Whitetail and Superformance ammo

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:41 am

wondering if anyone has any experience with these two ammo choices. Looking at finding ammo for my new 7mm-08. I want a bullet that will hold together upon impact. I have been having issues with Remington Corelockts fragment upon impact even if only hitting a rib upon impact.

I read the American Whitetail is an interlock bullet. Looking at reviews of it now. It is a cheaper ammo.

Other considerations are Federal Fushion, and Nosler Partitions.

Will be used on whitetails within 100 yards or so.

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
kurt

Re: Hornady American Whitetail and Superformance ammo

Unread postby kurt » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:18 pm

I have killed most of my whitetails with the Hornady Interlock bullet but hand loads. I have shot their "custom" brand ammo with the same interlock bullet and it produced really good groups.

I have a interlock bullet from a frontal shot that we dug out next hind quarter cutting the deer up and it mushroomed perfect and lost hardly any weight it was 143 of 150 grains
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:20 pm

I shot the American .243 this year and loved it. Solid groups at 200yds. Very happy with it. Might not be match grade but it'll put a deer down.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Ruger

Unread postby Ruger » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:30 pm

My buddy shoots the Superformance with the 139 grain SST bullet. I would estimate 9 out of 10 times there is NO BLOOD TRAIL. They rarely go more than 75 yards, but we usually have to follow tracks/game trail or do a grid search. Rarely an exit wound. This is my experience through him in nearly 30 kills. Very accurate though. I personally don't like a plastic tipped bullet.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:55 am

I use the 150g Superformance in my 30-06. I was putting 3 shot groups inside a quarter at 100 with my model 700 off the bench. I've only killed one deer with that round though. Shot her at 200 yards and she died in the spot she was standing.
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:08 am

I think like anything shot placement is the key. I've shot them with everything from cheap federal soft points to high dollar ballistic tips. I agree though that a fast expanding ballistic tip can expand so fast that it could potentially not pass through. I shot one in the neck with a winchester ballistic tip. The exit wound was impressive. I had a soft point pass through one deer and looked to not even expand. Double lung shot and he only went 40 yards. Anything shot with my 308 or 30/06 has been devastating with regular soft points. I do like the ballistic tips but I think they are best for open terrain.

With that said, I tend to shoot the cheapest, decent ammo that my gun will shoot. Some guns will not group with one brand or type of ammo. Our deer doesn't get huge either.. 220 lbs would be a very large mature deer.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Ruger

Unread postby Ruger » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:25 am

I shoot the 200 grain Superformance soft point in 35 Whelen. All I need for anything on NA! I love that gun and round.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”