thermals/winds in the marsh?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

thermals/winds in the marsh?

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:16 pm

So...I'm scouting a public marsh...

One thing that just dawned on me as I plan routes into a spot...

Is there any kind of thermal effect in the marsh and surrounding flat bottom land?

Any special wind factors to take into consideration?

I know certain times of year it'll cause fog...I think it's when the water is warmer than the air?

Just got to thinking....I haven't spent enough time in there to put wind patterns together yet...

From what I've seen its seems pretty consistent..but I haven't sat there through the course of a day as sun and temps change..

[ Post made via Android ] Image

PK_
500 Club

Re: thermals/winds in the marsh?

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:15 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25038&hilit=swamp+thermals

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9257&hilit=swamp+thermals

Yes, major thermal activity around bodies of water. The last couple years I have been keying in on the swamp thermals, I have been able to use them combined with rising thermals to leave virtually 0 scent footprint and nearly impossible to get winded in certain setups, no matter the wind direction.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:40 pm

I also heard from a popular YouTube series I watch that setting up near a flowing stream or river will "pull" your scent if the wind is blowing that direction.

Anyone have experience with this?
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:49 am

My first experience in swamp area was a bust.
The area was flooded timber that was a cold area after sundown. The area next to my stand that messed me up was a flooded field that absorbed the sunlight/heat. I hunted on the transition with prevailing winds taking my scent to the field.
As the sun set the prevailing winds die down like is common. A small buck and doe came toward the field edge where I was set. She came under my stand before alerting and leaving. My scent was probably pooling at that point. 10-15 minutes later the warm field was pushing scent into the flooded timber opposite of the prevailing winds which had died off. Maybe 40-50 yards into the timber a loud snort busted me out. I never got sight of that deer but assume it was a buck.
These observations would have been confirmed with milkweed but it fell out climbing up!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”