Thermal Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jdaukontas

Thermal Question

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:15 am

Will a buck bed where he has a thermal advantage, but not a wind advantage? I have located some beds that do not match up with the prevailing winds in my area, but seem to have heavy use. They are not on the leeward side of the hill, but they are backed up against briars that are at least 15 yards thick, impossible to penetrate from behind the buck. I would imagine this buck is using the thermals and prevailing wind in front of him, along with view from above to his advantage, but will the briar protection to his backside be enough to keep him bedded here? OR is this a last minute bedding option?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Thermal Question

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:21 am

The beds are probably more vision based than wind based... I would expect that spot to be exceptional if you ever get the rare wind blowing from the thick stuff.
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:36 am

So it is safe to say this is being used a lot, just not for a wind advantage. I think this area NEVER sees pressure, because the highway runs at the bottom of the hill and the parking lot for the public land is literally 200 yards away. There is an apple orchard that is about 20 yards behind the briars, so I will check for staging in or near the orchard. Any clues to look for?
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:15 am

If this is hilly teraian the wind could be doing Domingo different than what you may think it is.. Can you post up a map

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:20 am

http://caltopo.com/map?id=424Q

Computer is not cooperating at the moment, but here is a URL for the map. The wind is almost exclusively west to north-west, say 95% of the year. The bed is clearly being used a lot though.
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:24 am

Looks like that will be used on a south to southeast wind. If I was you I would take your post off since there is gps cords on the map

Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:58 am

That seems obvious, but there is no Southeast winds in my area, maybe once a month. The bed seems very used, with very fresh rubs and a TON of hair. Is that from the small usage on a SE wind, or is he really using the cover to protect his backside?

I will take it off when this convo finishes, but this area has very little pressure because it is my father-in-laws private property. The public land starts down below.
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:50 am

Can you get some pictures of the bed are you sure it is a buck bed.

Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:55 am

Pretty positive. There is a large rub in the bed and it is the only one there. I have also found a few scattered around along the point in both directions. To the right of the bed in a Red Oak cluster and to the left towards the back of the bed in an old apple orchard. I have found doe bedding in the orchard and the beds there are more doe fashion, with 4 in a big circle, not overlooking the hillside, but rather in the thick of the orchard.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:05 am

Thermals wrote:Can you get some pictures of the bed are you sure it is a buck bed.

Heavily used beds are rarely doe beds...
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:09 am

I am throwing all options out there. Sounds like a buck but why is he there is question. But you that much already hunt him down.

Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:54 am

dan wrote:
Thermals wrote:Can you get some pictures of the bed are you sure it is a buck bed.

Heavily used beds are rarely doe beds...

Dan
You say rarely and I agree, but also got two beds that's has everything saying buck but I have to confirm it

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:09 am

Does sometimes bed in buck beds... Especially if its a lone doe or only a couple does. But, as a group, they bed more in an "area" and don't wear down beds as much cause the beds shift around a lot WITHIN THE AREA. There not as "exact spot" oriented as a buck... They bed in a circle looking for danger in each direction. Bucks wear a spot out cause its a great exact spot that covers all aspects of danger entering the area.
Bucks bed right at the thermal tunnel. They put an obstacle to there back, they have great coverage from every direction... Its not always black and white, but "most of the time" well placed beds that are worn are buck beds... What may be more questionable is the age or dominance class of bucks willing to bed in a certain spot.
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:23 am

I don't want to hijack this thread, but it made me think of a questions I've been hoping to ask, and I'm not sure it's thread-worthy on it's own.

How far away from the base of a hill does a hunter need to set-up to avoid his scent being carried up the hill by thermals? I realize that is probably not an easy questions to answer and there are probably many different variables.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:32 am

Primetime41 wrote:I don't want to hijack this thread, but it made me think of a questions I've been hoping to ask, and I'm not sure it's thread-worthy on it's own.

How far away from the base of a hill does a hunter need to set-up to avoid his scent being carried up the hill by thermals? I realize that is

You answered your own question: "probably not an easy questions to answer and there are probably many different variables"
Wind speed, hill height, sun light, temp. among other things can all effect the answer... Its something your probably just going to have to test for yourself at the hill site... But, my immeadiate gut reaction is that even if you get far enough away, your going to have big issues with swirling winds at the bottom of a leeward hill. At least until after thermal switch.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”