Learning the hard way

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Learning the hard way

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:43 pm

I don't care who you are or where you're from, everyone learns the hard way once in a while. I was at work today, thinking about all the mistakes I've made over the years. Seeing how receptive people are to learning visually on the beast, I thought a lessons learned thread would be well received. I apologize if this exact thread has been done before. Also, even though this thread is geared towards showing your mistakes in order to help others, at the end of the day, this thread is for helping people. If you've got a success story, feel free to post it. After all... the goal of this post is to help each other visually.

My friend Tyler and I (tcjohnsonjacks... he likes to sit back and doesn't post very often :D ) had a set up that we hunted this fall that we want to share with you. The night before opener, Tyler watched 3 bucks leaving some public cattails for a corn field about 100 yards away. The interesting thing about this spot, is ALL the good ground is on the other side. NOBODY bow hunts there, as all the good oak flats, points and islands were separated by hundreds of yards of cattails. Where the bucks came from it is generally void of big trees. We both cyber scouted this area, and somehow overlooked this TINY patch of willows where the deer were bedding. Anyway, the night before opener Tyler saw two little bucks and one 10 point that was easily 130's or better. A stud for our area.

In the subsequent weeks, he saw the 10 pointer again, in the same wide open spot, heading for the corn. It was then when he noticed the tiny clump of willows while cyber scouting. We made our game plan and headed in for a ground hunt.

With the wind blowing from bedding towards us, we knew we wouldn't get busted. At last light we heard some sloshing out in the cattails :shock: there was no mistake... here comes a deer! As it often happens, light faded, and the buck hung up just out of sight on the edge of the cattails. We waited and waited... NOTHING. We snuck out as quietly as possible, but I'm sure he probably heard us leave.

In the next days Tyler put the pieces of the puzzle together. No doubt, both nights he saw the 10 out in the open field, the wind was blowing from the field to the bedding, giving the buck confidence to step out into the open. When we set up, he did not have the wind to his advantage. He therefore hung up and refused to show himself without knowing for certain the coast was clear.

After we decided we weren't going to hunt that bed anymore that season (this was our first season of bed hunting and we had many other spots to hunt) we went out to that island one afternoon. No deer were bedded there, but there were beds all over on it, including one that was worn to the dirt, which is extremely uncommon for our area. The thickets were rubbed multiple times where they were staging once they reached dry land. The island was mostly void of rubs... I believe there was 1 or 2 small rubs.

I have our access and ground blind spot highlighted in black. This season, we're going to make a little hidey hole in the cattails, and hide on the opposite side of the trails, with the wind in the buck's favor (drawn in red). I have 100% confidence that this bedding area will hold bucks year after year, and we will have it all to ourselves. Pheasant hunters walking the transition will undoubtedly walk right past these deer, but the best thing is these deer basically exit this bedding area on one trail, in plain sight of the road. Lesson learned: Don't necessarily jump right in... if we would have realized this buck was only visible with a favorable wind, the end result could have been entirely different.

Zap

Re: Learning the hard way

Unread postby Zap » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:50 pm

When you learn your lesson the hard way you learn your lesson well...... :mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:01 pm

Zap wrote:When you learn your lesson the hard way you learn your lesson well...... :mrgreen:

Exactly my point zap :D you NEVER forget 'em! If everyone shared a lesson learned the hard way, think what we could possibly learn here...
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:05 pm

:mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:48 pm

Very nice write up.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
semperfidelis

Unread postby semperfidelis » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:06 am

Great write up.

Don't pass up opportunities to fix things before it is seared into your memory at the cost of a deer. After evaluating my own small mistakes I find I'm making less and less and my setups have become both quiet and efficient.

I've also learned that even if I do make a mistake (clank sticks, Siri decides to sound off in the woods) don't get flustered. Many times getting upset only leads to another mistake.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:27 am

It's SIMPLY called experience! Nice job sunshine...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:01 am

semperfidelis wrote: Many times getting upset only leads to another mistake.

Isn't that the truth!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:20 am

I think if this same situation happened in heavy cover, that buck would show himself regardless of wind direction. I just read a thread talking about whether or not it is best to set up with a "just off" wind, or set up with the buck leaving bedding wind to back. Stanley said he most often sets up for the deer to exit wind to back, and we've all seen the bucks he kills ;). This situation is an unusual one due to the fact that he's in the wide open after leaving his bedding/staging area. And maybe it has to do with the buck's personality that he only feels comfortable doing so with the wind in his favor. :think:
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:33 am

Nothing wrong with making mistakes as long as you learn from them. Needless to say I have learned a TON over the past 5 years. :lol:

I also have switched my set's on certain beds, even moved out of places I have shot bucks because I feel I have better odds in different trees. One could easily stick with what worked once but my mind and my gut are telling me I need to be in a different location to ge the job done next time.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:25 am

Great writing. I agree I have made so many mistakes in the field. It is our passion for hunting that drives us to correct and learn from them.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:26 am

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.
"In the deed, the glory"
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:12 pm

Wait, wait…

wait…

There is an easy way?!?
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:05 pm

PalmettoKid wrote:Wait, wait…

wait…

There is an easy way?!?

Very true... there is no easy way to learn, but the EASIEST way is to join the BEAST 8-)

Here's an aerial of a river bottom that Dad and I no longer have permission for. Its a 40 acre piece. We killed 7 or 8 bucks out of here and a family friend missed a wallhanger slug hunting. Dad killed one 120" 8 point with a bow (and winged a similar buck he never found) and my best was a 110" 11 pointer. At this point in my life a 2.5 yr old didn't get passed... EVER.

All of our success came before the house was built on the west side of the neighboring property. Once it was built, our deer sightings and success out of stand #1 and 2 plummeted.

Stand #1 - We hunted this stand with any northerly wind [glow=red](note: North is DOWN... not up)[/glow] with NW being prevailing. I killed one of my first archery bucks from this stand and my first muzzleloader deer, a doe. Dad bowhunted that stand a lot and killed his nice early season 8 point, and winged the buck he didn't find from this stand. Back in the early 90's, my Dad's good buddy was slug hunting from the ground in this area and had a huge buck come out of the bedding to the West. I can still remember the quiver and "man, I want to cry right now" feel in his voice when he told the story at the truck after dark. He shot thru thick cover and missed. We had MANY hunts where no deer were sighted from this stand, but if we did see deer, they were almost always heading East out of the oxbow, or headed South along the East side willows towards food (mainly does and fawns). We knew the deer bedded on that oxbow, and there was also a river crossing there. [glow=red]Our Beast knowledge would indicate that particular bedding area is best hunted with an Easterly wind[/glow]. Between Dad and I that stand got sat anywhere from 6-10 times a year. I'm sitting here wondering what things might have been like had I known what I know now. :doh:

Stand #2 - After years of success at stand #1, I hung this stand so we had an opportunity to hunt that oxbow with a SE wind. There were trees closer to the bedding area that I could have picked, but I chose the location I did due to the other oxbow and the fact that it pinched the entire East side down to 30 or 40 yards. I can remember hunting this stand 3 or 4 times. One hunt was my birthday, Oct 29th, and I watched a basket 8 come out of the oxbow heading East towards stand #1. I grunted him in to 12 yards and killed him. The very next day, with a doe tag in my pocket, I sat the same stand (why WOULDN'T I sit the same stand twice in a row... I just killed a buck there the day before!! :lol: ) and this time it was a SSW wind. I remember not liking it in case something came on my East side from the North. I rolled the dice. About an hour before dark a 2 year old 8 stood up on the oxbow NW of me maybe 50 yards away. He browsed his way West.

Stand #3 - This stand was HOT when gun hunting, but we did have success bowhunting here as well. There were trails on all sides and annual scrapes and a few rubs on the W and NW side. [glow=red]A smart Beast hunter would call this a staging area[/glow] ;) Going by what Dad told me, NW worked for this stand, NE was the best wind, and SE worked too. Theory being that with any of those winds you could kill a deer before it got to your scent. Looking back on it, I'm not high on the SE wind, but he was right. The large yellow bedding area I have circled was MONEY. It didn't matter if it was morning or evening, early or late season, that's where all the deer came from. It was full of vines, tall canary grass, and it was choked out and impenetrable.

Growing up, Dad always taught me that deer like low spots to remain hidden. Made sense to me. Stand #3 was in a low spot, and the trail heading West to the Ag was low. I can tell you right now the BBSK is reading this saying "Yeah... they like low spots because of THERMALS!"... I think that's what made this stand great.

The furthest north bedding area was a spot where we'd jumped a few deer here and there doing drives. Nothing crazy and nothing BIG. It transitioned from super thick to somewhat open, and they bedded on the edge where they could see. The only bucks we killed there were driving from the south to the north. Driving the opposite direction meant one jump and they were gone.

When I was a senior in high school, the landowner leased this ground to some city hunters. It was a 3 year lease. They set up box stands on the Eastern and Western edges and never killed a buck there. Why? They were hunting the food, not the bedding. The willows are thick on the edges and they couldn't see into the bottoms very well. After they left, we got permission again and continued where we left off until the property got sold.

The last thing I'm going to mention is where I saw the biggest buck of my life in my teenage years. It was an upper 130's or lower 140's ten pointer that was heading NW across the grassy side hill on the East side (in green). I saw him sky lined on my way back to the truck after hunting stand #1. It was early season and he was bedded in the neighbors standing corn. IMO bucks bed in or near standing corn more often than groves or river bottoms in farm land. Where I live ag fields are 95% of the landscape. Where do you think mature bucks encounter humans... in a huge corn field? or in a small grove of trees near corn? More on this later...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:43 am

Good stuff. You can read the books, study the maps, buy the clothes, shoot the bow, talk the talk. Until you have walked the walk you won't have the salt to know how to get it done.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”