Lightly Hunted Permanent vs Mobile Stands

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Lightly Hunted Permanent vs Mobile Stands

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:55 pm

I would find a way to hunt mobile. A lot of the bedding areas I hunt have several trees I hunt out of based on the exact wind, or time of year. Foliage and weather can dictate how close I can get... You could run into hot sign on your way to your perm. stand, or see a great buck from your stand you want to go after... You need at least one mobile set up... If you don't have the cash buy the best you can and modify it to make it quiet.

olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:08 pm

I would have saved a ton of money and hassle if I would've just bought the right stands years ago, everybody's method is a little different, figure out how you see yourself hunting and start there. If I would have bought a mobile set years ago, I would have been much better off with mature buck encounters and more money in the wallet!
"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:37 am

After pricing around Archery Talk I'm definitely getting a lightly used Assault. I'll probably keep the steel climbing sticks I have now and upgrade those as I progress. I may end up wrapping them in something to prevent the inevitable steel "clank" when I'm setting up. Either that or go for the one stick approach, not sure how fun that is in the dark though!
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:56 am

Twenty Up wrote:After pricing around Archery Talk I'm definitely getting a lightly used Assault. I'll probably keep the steel climbing sticks I have now and upgrade those as I progress. I may end up wrapping them in something to prevent the inevitable steel "clank" when I'm setting up. Either that or go for the one stick approach, not sure how fun that is in the dark though!

Daylight or dark the level of fun never changes!!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:00 am

You can't beat a Assault i love mine. Wish I had bought the lone wolf setup years ago I'd have more bucks on my wall .

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:05 am

I like the mobile way much better. I used API stands for years as mobile stands. I just sold an 8.5 lb. API for $55.00 delivered. I do have one left for sale. You don't have to spend bid money to be mobile. The Lone wolfs are great and the best. But if you're broke there are other ways to get the job done.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:14 am

burkhart wrote:if you watch archerytalk daily sticks go for cheap you could be in the mobile game for around 250 total if your patient.

$250 total for an Assault and 3 LW sticks? That's sounds a bit optimistic, I' anticipating $300+ total but I'm just going for the stand now so hopefully $170ish

Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:15 am

Stanley wrote:I like the mobile way much better. I used API stands for years as mobile stands. I just sold an 8.5 lb. API for $55.00 delivered. I do have one left for sale. You don't have to spend bid money to be mobile. The Lone wolfs are great and the best. But if you're broke there are other ways to get the job done.

Stanley, I appreciate the offer but I've had the itch to buy a Lone Wolf for a while now so I'm going to finally bite the bullet on one

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:52 am

Watch Amazon I got my new Assault for 168 dollers and free shipping. Last I looked they went back up after Christmas but you might find a deal like that.
I used a alpha before I bought my assault saw that deal and had to buy one.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Ruger

Unread postby Ruger » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:53 am

Too much of a chance for your permanent stands to be stolen. Get a good used hang-on and use the phone app for your GPS.

Also, you can hang a loc-on in more places than you can find a good tree to climb or hang a ladder stand on.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:55 am

If you can swing it I'd buy the lonewolf sticks or the xop sticks. The steel guide gear ones I don't think will be what you want if it's the ones I'm thinking of. They'll be loud and clanky not to mention heavy.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:31 am

Lightly hunted permanent will produce deer and leave most mature, big bucks safe. Now if you read enough maps and put in the time a permanent rut stand can slay serious deer. If the right conditions are there.
But owning a mobile set is still key. It can be semi permanent or any configuration you feel like using. That is why ladders and such limit people and are not pushed for this style.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
mobowhunter77

Unread postby mobowhunter77 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:52 am

They have the Ameristep hangon for $45.00 bucks at Walmart. Heavy as heck. This weighs more than my entire gear put together. Buy a couple of these then get the LW sticks and your set.

I don't feel bad leaving these out there just lock em up and take your sticks with you when your done hunting.

Just my 2 cents.

Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:58 am

mobowhunter77 wrote:They have the Ameristep hangon for $45.00 bucks at Walmart. Heavy as heck. This weighs more than my entire gear put together. Buy a couple of these then get the LW sticks and your set.

I don't feel bad leaving these out there just lock em up and take your sticks with you when your done hunting.

Just my 2 cents.

I got a deal on Guide Gear hang-on stands, very similar to these for $30 each. I may end up hanging 2 of them in areas I'll hunt during the rut. If they get stolen I honestly wouldn't care and I'll probably sell my steel climber to off set the cost of the LW.

Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:59 am

burkhart wrote:
Twenty Up wrote:
burkhart wrote:if you watch archerytalk daily sticks go for cheap you could be in the mobile game for around 250 total if your patient.

$250 total for an Assault and 3 LW sticks? That's sounds a bit optimistic, I' anticipating $300+ total but I'm just going for the stand now so hopefully $170ish

you gotta barter a little

I watch 4 packs of lone wolf sticks go for 100 a few weeks ago... they even sat for a few days before anyone bought them.....

That's ridiculous, was this on Archery Talk or another site?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”