Lightly Hunted Permanent vs Mobile Stands

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Twenty Up
500 Club

Re: Lightly Hunted Permanent vs Mobile Stands

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:05 am

Alright so I'm debating between the Assault and the Alpha right now. The Assault I believe it smaller and more mobile at 8.5lbs and a tiny platform while the Alpha has a larger platform and weights in at 14lbs

Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:08 am

Older assaults are 8.5 the new ones are 11lbs, a little harder to find are the older ones but can be.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
tcop7
500 Club

Unread postby tcop7 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:22 am

I've never hunted with an assault but I really like my alpha and would recommend it. It has plenty of space and is definitely worth the extra 3 lbs compared to the assault.

[glow=green]Experience Is What You Get When You Didn't Get What You Wanted![/glow]

[glow=blue]McLaughlin Athletic Center[/glow]
[glow=blue]Northwest Ohio's Youth Sports Complex![/glow]
[dropshadow=blue]Visit us at --->[/dropshadow]http://www.macgymohio.com/ [dropshadow=blue]<---[/dropshadow]
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:31 am

tcop7 wrote:I've never hunted with an assault but I really like my alpha and would recommend it. It has plenty of space and is definitely worth the extra 3 lbs compared to the assault.

If I can find an older 8.5lb Assault I'll pull the trigger, if not I will stick with the larger Alpha.

Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:33 am

whitetailassasin wrote:Older assaults are 8.5 the new ones are 11lbs, a little harder to find are the older ones but can be.

As luck would have it I found a great deal on an older 8.5lb model! I'm not sure why they increased the weight? It's really pointless to buy the newer Assault II's because 11lbs vs 14 for a larger platform is a no brainer. At least 8.5lbs you had a much lighter, smaller stand but who knows..

mobowhunter77

Unread postby mobowhunter77 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:49 am

I have the LW assault II and it seem a little cramp and I'm a little guy (5'-2"). I have to put the seat up and stand most of the time to stay comfortable. I keep bumping my bow with my boots and afraid I'll lose it, makes me really uncomfortable.

I really prefer my LW sit and climb and Summit Viper SD. On places where the tress are bigger I use the Summit Viper SD able to handle bigger trees and you don't have to readjust as you climb.

I have to adjust the LW sit and climb quite a few times going up as trees gets narrower to keep level once I reach my desired height.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:22 am

mobowhunter77 wrote:I have the LW assault II and it seem a little cramp and I'm a little guy (5'-2"). I have to put the seat up and stand most of the time to stay comfortable. I keep bumping my bow with my boots and afraid I'll lose it, makes me really uncomfortable.

I really prefer my LW sit and climb and Summit Viper SD. On places where the tress are bigger I use the Summit Viper SD able to handle bigger trees and you don't have to readjust as you climb.

I have to adjust the LW sit and climb quite a few times going up as trees gets narrower to keep level once I reach my desired height.

That's my only and biggest concern with the Assault.. I'm 5'11 with size 12 boots so I'm hoping that using this as a 100% mobile stand (3-5hr sits) won't be too bad.

mihunter101

Unread postby mihunter101 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:01 pm

About a month ago Lone Wolf had some "blemished" sticks for $125 per set of 4. Only blemish on mine was some damage to the box. The sticks were in perfect condition. You'll have to call to see if they still have any available.
Let's go Brandon!
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:41 pm

i bought the assault II...i got a steal on it from a local hunting store....it was used price but new. They were wanting to clear them out. I'm 6'1" and wear size 12 shoes. It's small but I don't think its too awful bad. I bought the hunt comfort seat and I can sit for a good half a day ok. Even standing isn't bad. I mean there's not room to dance around or anything but I find I sit more still with less room.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:12 pm

Just out of curiosity, have any of y'all ever attempted to hunt a permanent stand in this way? Set it and let it sit for that right hunt? Pre-cut shooting lanes months in advance?

Seems with heavy scouting this would be the go-to. Cut 1-2 shooting lanes that are just wide enough to get a shot in without exposing yourself, have the stand hung so you can walk in even quieter. No worries about noise while hanging your stand or being seen from the extra movement.

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:27 pm

Twenty Up wrote:Just out of curiosity, have any of y'all ever attempted to hunt a permanent stand in this way? Set it and let it sit for that right hunt? Pre-cut shooting lanes months in advance?

Seems with heavy scouting this would be the go-to. Cut 1-2 shooting lanes that are just wide enough to get a shot in without exposing yourself, have the stand hung so you can walk in even quieter. No worries about noise while hanging your stand or being seen from the extra movement.

It would definitely work in the right place. I have two near my house. I'm gonna set one on my uncles land next year where I spotted a big buck. Then I'll use my mobile setup for the rest of the time. Lots of deer even some big ones are killed all the time out of permanent stands and shooting houses around here. That's the way most people hunt here on private.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”