Anybody ever killed a 150" out of a ladder stand?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Bucky

Re: Anybody ever killed a 150" out of a ladder stand?

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:46 am

Pretty close

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:24 am

phade wrote:Ladder stands are super popular in my part of the country - I suspect its probably as common, if not more than hangons and climbers combined. Other than working farms, property is most small acreage. Public land is a fair distance away and as a result people hunt small acreage at high hunter per sq mi.

I think between me and Moog we have more than 50 ladder stands set out right now. Most are basic 15'ers and some are as high as 24' (actual manufactured stands). Some are not hunted each year, some are hunted a couple times, and some are hunted hard during the rut, etc. We also supplement with climbers and alphas as needed.

At the end of the day, I probably know of just as many, if not more mature bucks shot out of ladders than hang-ons. I don't believe that bucks avoid ladder stands due to some visual component. If anything, ladder stands are easier access for many people and they end up overhunting them, especially on small acreage when that's all you have to hunt. I think its how you use them, just like any other tool in the hunting bag of tricks, rather than just the tool itself.

I also think the original question is interesting, but would probably put the standard as more of an age thing rather than antler score. My biggest two have been shot from ladders, both in October. The largest is a 6.5 y/o confirmed by deerage and would score much better if not for two broken tines on one beam. Probably in the 140s.

After last year I'm thinking ladder stands will be used way more in my future hunting. It is hard to get them where I go though. That said when the sands of time say its time to change things up. I think the ladder stands are a good safe way to go.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:32 am

Stanley wrote:
phade wrote:Ladder stands are super popular in my part of the country - I suspect its probably as common, if not more than hangons and climbers combined. Other than working farms, property is most small acreage. Public land is a fair distance away and as a result people hunt small acreage at high hunter per sq mi.

I think between me and Moog we have more than 50 ladder stands set out right now. Most are basic 15'ers and some are as high as 24' (actual manufactured stands). Some are not hunted each year, some are hunted a couple times, and some are hunted hard during the rut, etc. We also supplement with climbers and alphas as needed.

At the end of the day, I probably know of just as many, if not more mature bucks shot out of ladders than hang-ons. I don't believe that bucks avoid ladder stands due to some visual component. If anything, ladder stands are easier access for many people and they end up overhunting them, especially on small acreage when that's all you have to hunt. I think its how you use them, just like any other tool in the hunting bag of tricks, rather than just the tool itself.

I also think the original question is interesting, but would probably put the standard as more of an age thing rather than antler score. My biggest two have been shot from ladders, both in October. The largest is a 6.5 y/o confirmed by deerage and would score much better if not for two broken tines on one beam. Probably in the 140s.

After last year I'm thinking ladder stands will be used way more in my future hunting. It is hard to get them where I go though. That said when the sands of time say its time to change things up. I think the ladder stands are a good safe way to go.

Time escapes from nobody. Obviously ladder stands are not as portable/moveable, etc. but we generally have found the system that works for us to move them. We move them in season alot and hunt from them the same day and have had success with this method. That's not to say there aren't times where we go in with the alphas and hunt because the sign we see or have a hunch on indicates so.

I will say Moog isn't exactly small either...guy is 6' 5" or 6'6" and usually is in the 330lb range and built like a sherman tank. He hides just fine in most of our 15' ladders.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:47 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
Spysar wrote:My friend killed a huge non typ out of one this year. Maybe 200er" ...hasn't scored it yet.

The stand was tall and old. I didn't feel safe in it, plus it made my balls go numb it was so uncomfortable. It was in the woods from the year before.

Bet your wishing you didn't have balls and felt safe? ;)

You wouldn't give up yours for a buck like this??? :mrgreen:

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:50 am

Spysar wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:
Spysar wrote:My friend killed a huge non typ out of one this year. Maybe 200er" ...hasn't scored it yet.

The stand was tall and old. I didn't feel safe in it, plus it made my balls go numb it was so uncomfortable. It was in the woods from the year before.

Bet your wishing you didn't have balls and felt safe? ;)

You wouldn't give up yours for a buck like this??? :mrgreen:

Castration for me!!!
Three of those tines are bigger, inch wise, verses my biggest buck to date :oops:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Robert

Unread postby Robert » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:06 am

I shot a 130 inch buck out of a ladder stand 2 years ago. I had a cousin shoot a 145 inch 11 pointer with a droptine out a tower blind. Also had an uncle shoot a 170 inch double main been 12 pointer out a tower blind.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:29 am

Spysar, did you shoot that buck? Score? Public, private, ranch? That's a monster.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:21 am

whitetailassasin wrote:Spysar, did you shoot that buck? Score? Public, private, ranch? That's a monster.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Spy's buddy, private, IOWA :mrgreen:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
mrjbigfoot
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MikeRTJohnson

Unread postby mrjbigfoot » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:48 am

I got one back in 2000, my 13 pointer, out of an old 10 ft. tall wooden ladder stand that I really had 2nd thoughts about getting up into. But the buck was actually spooked from the next farm over & it was a long shot with a slug gun so it wasn't like he was even coming near the stand. And one of the stands ladder steps broke as I was climbing down in a hurry/excited. We tore the stand down after that & put a nicer, taller, metal ladder stand in it's place.

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:11 am

I have a friend who shot a 160+ out of a ladder stand. I think phade said it, and thats the way i see it too. IF you don't over hunt them, they can be effective.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:18 pm

Heck....this year was the first time I ever actually "hunted" from a ladder stand...

A guy moved in one of my spots...he hung a giant 2 man ladder stand 2 trees from where I spent opening day of rifle last year...I hunt that spot once or twice every couple years when I have sign of a biggun using one of the points..

Long story short...I knew it was there in rifle season...so I didn't even pack my stand in flintlock season...I still hunted my way to it...and saw deer almost nonstop lol...hour or so later I finally got a 30yd shot at a doe...

First deer I've ever shot from a stand with a gun (or flintlock).

Say what you will....but when you knowingly trespass AND leave your gear someone using your stand is the least of your worries....he was knowingly on well posted land...he ain't part of our lease..at least I didnt recognize him...and if he was...we all agreed if no one is in a stand or blind it is fair game and if the owner comes along the user has to leave...

The guy is a moron...a 2 man ladder stand on a 8" tree is dumb...he had 1/4 of his FOV blocked by a pine tree...TONS of better trees in that spot.

It worked....thanx fella! Maybe next year I will kill a beast from it!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:49 pm

It's definitly not the ladders stand fault in not killing big deer out of them it's more of how, where, and how often hunted. Ladder stands have their place just not very mobile for public land.
Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:27 am

i shot a 140 out of a ladder stand 3 or 4 years ago.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:07 am

kurt wrote:It's definitly not the ladders stand fault in not killing big deer out of them it's more of how, where, and how often hunted. Ladder stands have their place just not very mobile for public land.

I agree
south

Unread postby south » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:45 am

Gene and Barry Wensel do it year in and year out...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”