Ever had a coyote possibly screw up your hunt?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

Ever had a coyote possibly screw up your hunt?

Unread postby Schultzy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:00 pm

Might of happened to me today. I've had the bug real bad to start deer hunting but I've been holding off as long as I can. Problem Is I don't have many other areas to go hunt on so every year the woods I always hunt gets a little over hunted as time goes on. There Is some state land with In a mile of where I live that gets pounded by the duck hunters and also by the pheasant hunters when that opens. Duck season Is open now and pheasant opens In a couple weeks.

Today I said I can't take It anymore and I'm going deer hunting finally!! I headed to this state land and I knew exactly where I wanted to go and set up on the ground. Surprisingly the wind direction was NE with this warm weather and where I wanted to go that would be perfect. I set up 70 yards off of a swamp. In the middle of the swamp Is a high spot that's about 30 yards long but It's very narrow. I never went to this high spot In the swamp but figured If there was an older buck In the area this could possibly be a place where they'd bed. I also remember listening to Dan In his Marsh bucks video talking about these high spots In these swamps. I was sitting on a lightly used trail that looked to come out of this swamp. I was sitting on the ground In some switch grass about 17 yards off of this trail and I felt real good about the switch grass and my Enigma Camo blending In with each other. There was a cut bean field that was 50 or so yards to my right that this trail led to.

An hour Into my sit I'm getting pounded by mosquitoes and I look back towards this swamp and all of a sudden I catch movement. There was no mistaking the movement either on what It was. There trots out a 135 Inch class buck looking back where he came from. He stops at about 80 yards from me looking back and I can hear something walking through the cat tails. 5 minutes later a coyote makes himself present 30 yards or so from where I 1st saw the buck get up. I don't think he even knew this buck was around being he kept trotting In the opposite direction the buck was and before you knew It the coyote was long gone In the opposite direction. I watched the buck for about 20 minutes watching where this coyote was and just like that he bounded of slowly. I watched him carefully seeing the direction and area of his escape route.

The problem Is that where this buck Is bedding Is damn near right on the line of this state land. The people who own the land next to the state land are some different people so If I was to stick this buck and he ran on to their land I'm not so sure that would go to well. Not sure what I'm going to do with this buck yet.

What would you all do? Remember what I said about these landowners. In Minnesota you have to have permission to retrieve an animal. If the landowner says no not even a CO can do anything about It.

muddy

Re: Ever had a coyote possibly screw up your hunt?

Unread postby muddy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:38 pm

Why not go ask them now and ask if you could pursue a deer if you happen to shoot one. No need to tell them exactly where you'd be, heck, fudge it by a mile. Never hurts to ask.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:04 pm

I set-up on an awesome spot Saturday nite it was twenty minutes till sundown,and then the howling begain.Only 75 to a 100 yards away.Believe it or not did,nt see a single deer that night.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:14 pm

The Big 8 was 35 yards away last November 20th around 3:15pm. By all indications of the milkweeds I had the thermals and wind but he kept smelling something and literally sneak walked backwards and never presented a shot as he left the area. Around 9:30am that same morning I had a coyote chase a small buck through the woods right up that same ridge. Hmmmmmm.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:17 pm

I have had yote's run off deer a few times.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
eastwoodhunter

Unread postby eastwoodhunter » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:05 pm

I had a coyote jog past my my stand at 8:30 opening day shotgun, i took a shot and missed, probably didnt help my odds for the rest of the day ;)
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:30 pm

2 years ago on my last morning in KS, I got the right wind for "my favorite spot". I was pumped to say the least. I slipped up in my tree and turned on my ears, as my eyes couldnt see yet. It was almost breaking light, were you can make out tree's at 30yds. Then I hear a sound that puzzles me briefly, but then I recognize it, antlers tearing up a tree. My eyes strain, but I cant really find the source of the noise. Searching I find the source, shooter buck 45yds up wind of me. YES! He is quartering towards me slightly and the wind is perfect. He is standing motionless stairing over my right shoulder kinda. Im like stand there all day big boy, few more minutes and there will be no question on the amount of light to seal the deal. Then over my shoulder I hear leaves rustling that turns into a steady gant. NO, is that a doe thats going to wind me? No this cant be happening, not now. The buck is still frozen, he heard the noise way before me and that is what he was stairing at. He turns and scoots out of there. I think "land of the giants", here comes a 200" deer. 8-) The sound gets closer and I start to second guess the gant. Im straining to look over my shoulder without moving and sure enough, a dang coyote! :twisted: I didnt take a shot at him, didnt know if that buck went 50yds or 500yds and didnt want to blow the set. I sat till noon, which was longer then intended as we had to hit the road. Not a single deer came thru. :cry:
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:41 am

Yes and I also ruined a few coyotes hunts.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:56 am

Yes, but that was mostly when I was hunting field edges during the early season. Since I have moved back into the timber during this time I have not had any situation in the early season.

Last year in November on public land I was set-up in a stand about 55 yds from a decent bedded buck (might have made P&Y). I watched him come in to his bed right at first light from another direction. Around 10:00 AM I heard a rustling sound to my right hoping that it was a bigger buck coming to kick his but out of the bed. Instead, it was a 'yote that jumped that buck out of his bed. The 'yote stopped at around 35 yds and I release an arrow at him thru some really thick underbrush (probably not the best decision). He ran as soon as he heard my arrow bouncing off of the brush. I waited the rest of the day in that stand and that buck never returned...nor did any other deer. Dang Willy E Coyote!! At least I found my arrow after dark that evening. :dance:
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:06 am

Two years ago, on gun season opening day, I was hunkered down for an all day sit with rifle in hand. The nieghbors had shot a doe that went on to our land, and had asked one of the other guys if they could track it. He radio's me to ask me since I was hunting the area theywould eventually pass through. It was about noon and slow so I said go head. You never know when yo might need the favor returned ;) . Just after I get the call I coyote comes trotting through, and I figure what the heck hunts going to be over shortly anyway, so I took a poke, and gave him an early dirt nap. Unknown to me the neighbors had found their doe just across the property line and never penetrated to far into our land. After another call on the radio explanining what had happend, I decided to get the coyote out and continue to hunt the rest of the day. I had 10-15 deer come through he rest of the day does, fawns and a few bucks, the oldest 2.5 years old. Some deer obviously smelled where the coyote was shot (could have been my scent too, since I picked him up), others paid no attention to it. I have seen deer come down a trail, shortly after a coyote had passed through and not seem too concerned. I don't think a healthy adult deer is too afraid of a coyote, unless there is snow on the ground, or they have fawns around.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”