Post your bad luck buck stories here:

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Post your bad luck buck stories here:

Unread postby dan » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:35 am

If you were entered in the big buck contest and DID NOT get a buck please post your stories here.

THIS GOES HAND IN HAND WITH THE BIG BUCK CONTEST. Please read the rules in the big buck contest post.
The bad luck buck (B.L.B) Contest is for people who entered the big buck contest before the posted time/date and DID NOT SHOOT ANY BUCK... You still have to post a story as to why you feel your effort and your experiences thru the season should make you eligible for a prize. The H/B Elders (500 club) will vote on whose story is the best based on hardship, bad luck, effort, bucks passed, humor, or anything else that they think makes you worthy of winning the B.L.B. contest. As always, prizes will be picked by winners in the order of who had the most votes.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Post your bad luck buck stories here:

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:58 am

BAD LUCK BUCK CONTEST PRIZE PACKAGES:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PRIZE #1
A beast member will donate 50$ anonymously towards the buck contest
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PRIZE #2
A member whom wishes to remain anonymous has donated a copy of Brad Henrdon's "Mapping Trophy Bucks"

AND...

a pack of Grim Reaper broadheads
Stan Lamont

Unread postby Stan Lamont » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:41 pm

My wife and I discussed doing some home remodeling this fall and it was decided that October would be an ideal time for doing soffit,facia and vinyl siding.We further decided that I should be the person in charge of the installation of these areas. So since I still wanted to sleep in the house anyone want to guess what I did in October?Bowhunting was to be accomplished in a few days scattered out during the month.So one of these fruitful hunts is my topic: I hunt only on public areas and decided to try one that I hadn't checked on lately.We all know blind fishing expeditions are always the most successful and rewarding!So I drove to this spot where bucks were waiting to parade in front of me!Upon my arrival I saw right away what a great plan this was.The hayfield that I had to cross to get to this certain kill that was just awaiting my appearance had five deer in it! All bucks! At least three were carrying racks wider than the ears.Not wanting to drive to any of my other spots I decided to drive to a different access point around the other side of the property.I got into the pocket that I wanted to set up on but never saw one of the bucks during my day to hunt.But lest any of you feel sorry for me I finished my fall bow deer hunting by finishing my siding in early November.Just before wisconsins gun deer hunt where I hunted five days and saw one doe.I shot her so I have meat and can continue living in my house. Life is good!
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:49 pm

It was the best of seasons yet it was also the worst of seasons. I wouldn't say I am a bed hunter, I mostly hunt farm land and the biggest piece of land I have access to is 80 acres. So I am hunting trails coming from known bedding areas and I just try to get as close as I can without crossing property lines.

My season started in a tree in one of my best spots. A good half hour before dark I had two nice bucks come from the bedding area and break off about 30 yards to soon. I figured I would move in a little closer when the time was right. Well about that time my neighbor starts building a hangar for his airplane in the field just outside of this spot. In my wildest dreams I never thought I would have to compete with airplanes :roll:

Well I kept hunting different properties and I was seeing bucks show up as expected but only small bucks. As we got to November I took a trip to an area near Alma in Buffalo county. I was pretty excited when I arrived at the parking area around 12:30 and there were no other cars there. I didn't see anything and when I returned to the parking area at dark it was filled with cars. That was enough for me I got the heck outta there. This area just can't handle that many hunters.

I then spent a few days hunting some public land in Clark county and again I was passing small bucks but did not see any shooters. Well time to head back home and hit some more farmland. I found out my good for nothin brother in law was pounding one of my best areas and had killed 2 nubby bucks there, let me tell ya that is a story for another day. This property is divided by a river and is against a great bedding area on the other side. Thank God the b inlaw has not figured out how to cross a river. Its November 8th and I get up a tree in a transition area downwind of this bedding area. I am sitting the backside of the tree from where I expect deer to come from. Then I think I hear a grunt and then I hear it again, a doe comes directly to the bottom of my tree and I look to where she came from and there stands an absolute slob. He is really wide and very heavy. I'm thinking this is gonna happen, he comes directly to my tree and then turns at 90 degrees and walks directly away never stopping to give me a shot. I bleated but he did not stop. I was in disbelief. This encounter broke my heart. I wanted to just give it all up but by the next morning I was back in another tree. At first I felt failure but later realized the success of this encounter. He got hit by a car 4 days later 150" and 11 pts.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:39 am

I hung a stand right off a logging road in a very thick area . Behind me there was a ridge of thick saplings going down to the creek a trail with several large rubs was half way down the ridge. On the way in I placed a tinks 69 scent bomb on a branch infront of my stand. I sit in a pouring down rainstorm with my bow in a hang on I had hung 8 feet up on a tiny tree. The rain had just stopped at around 3.15 I heard a stick crack behind me it was a mature buck a 140 class 8 point. The buck walked the trail behind my tree about 40 yards away it was so thick it was hard to see him at times. About halfway down the trail he rubs a signpost rub. Then he does the complete unexpected he turns North and crosses the logging road cutting downwind of me I'm sure at this point I'll be busted. But he lip curls still 60 yards away then he turns west coming torward me. Walks directly to the scent bomb. I slowly pull my bow back my shots right around 20 yards. My hearts beating out of my chest this is the first large buck I've seen from a treestand ever. He begans licking the scent bomb I focus my pin in on him. As soon as I let the release go it seems time freezes it's headed perfect right at the heart. He deer jumps streight up the arrow slices the bottom of his belly below the heart. I get down out of my tree after about 10 minutes in total shock. Go to my arrow their is hair all over the ground not a drop of blood anywhere. This buck has done the impossible dodged my arrow for several days and even now this lesson is imprinted in my brain. I rewatch this moment in my brain again and again as though it's a slow motion film. Even to this day many years later I aim higher on a deer now above the heart intentionally. This taught me a lesson I will never forget. But as fate would have it and my determination I moved my stand 60 yards to the North and avoid the area all week. On Muzzleloader morning a beautiful calm crisp morning I climb into the tree about 5am. To my west is a inside corner and my neighbors property to the north is logged off to my northwest 300 yards a soybean field. I sit in the tree facing south all morning was still no movement no squirrel or nothing. At 9.45 am I hear the most noise I have every heard you could hear crunching 100 yards away. I turn and watch the ridge has a lip I could not see the hillside as the sound came closer got within 30 yards a rack stuck up over the lip in the ridge it was him. I move my body sticking my muzzleloader around the tree. The buck is 15 yards now there was a moment he looked up our eyes connected. Beast and prey he knows I have him he made the mistake. I fire the buck runs into the neighbors property I climb down after 15 minutes my heart again pumping away. I find blood call my dad to help search. We contacted the neighbor told him we were going on his property to search for the buck he says no not acceptable. Well I go anyway sure I'm going to find my dream buck the blood follows for. 70 yards into his property and then it ends. I searched for hours and found nothing else. Since it was my property I left the stand in that spot. Around 2 weeks later I walked to check out the stand. A note with blue writing from my neighbor thank you found your buck scored him at 143. He will look good on my wall. That was the month long chase I endured all the rain sweat blood hours on stand heartbreak not only once but twice. Far as I know the buck is still on his wall. I still think about that buck very often reliving those moments in my mind.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:52 pm

I decided to just submit this link. Hope its alright vs. putting whole story here. I actually had really good year as far as sightings and opportunities go. I let the biggest deer I ever have walk by with the bow with no regrets. I seen several other nice bucks. But I found its very hard to kill one specific buck especially when you can only access part of his core range and our limited on access. I stuck to my guns when hunting him and let everything else walk. I did hunt other places too, public and private alike, with out worry because of Bonus Buck I had the opportunity to tag multiple if given the chance so i could keep the Buck of my dreams still a reality. The link is my favorite hunt of the year

viewtopic.php?f=157&t=29150
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:54 am

Dant - Dant - DAAAA...

I suck...

The End! :oops:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:19 am

**NOTE VOTING IN THE 500 CLUB STARTS AT 7:45 am for BAD LUCK BUCK
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:33 am

I suck too Ed.....at bow hunting. I wish I had some funny story, but I don't. Lost some private ground, lack of deer at our place up north a knee needing surgery and some bad luck public hunts. All this in addition to sucking= shooting just one doe and no bucks for Matt.
I'll be back at it next year....as usual

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”