Success in Relation to Specific Wind - Bob Sheppard's Book

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Thermals
500 Club

Re: Success in Relation to Specific Wind - Bob Sheppard's Bo

Unread postby Thermals » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:30 pm

I did not take a deer this year and we had a lot of south winds maybe he is on to something haha

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Tapeworm

Unread postby Tapeworm » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:36 pm

Definitely doesn't apply to us down here in FL.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JohnnieU

Unread postby JohnnieU » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:18 pm

I read this book too, and wish I hadn't wasted my time and money. Looking at my four best bucks on my wall, two were shot with a south, one with a southwest and one with a northwest.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:36 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:I have killed bucks in different winds. 1000 deer my question is why would you kill 1000 I can't eat more then 3 a year.

LOL I was thinking the same. I was adding it up in my head. If I killed 20 per year and God willing I'm able to hunt 40 more years, that's 800 deer. I mean me and my wife barely eat 2 per year. That's some mass killing of whitetails lol.

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:42 pm

Philski wrote:I have a tough time applying "research" done in the Deep South to hunting where I do in the Midwest. They are deer but I think the different terrain, habitat, weather patterns, rut timing....etc. makes it tough for me to get excited about the info.

The guy only lives 2 hrs from me. But still it doesn't apply to my area. I really think his data is skewed. It's supposedly compiled from thousands of hunters. I'm wondering if the ones that hunted South winds were just news lol.

JohnnieU wrote:I read this book too, and wish I hadn't wasted my time and money. Looking at my four best bucks on my wall, two were shot with a south, one with a southwest and one with a northwest.

There's some decent stuff in there but I don't think its anything I don't already know or have learned from here. Hard to best this site and the experienced guys here for learning. I just wanted some extra reading material... Thinking if I picked up one or two new things it's worth it. I also thought him being in my area maybe there would be some area specific tips.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:31 pm

Dewey wrote:My top 4 bucks were all killed with south winds along with many smaller ones. :think:

Same for me :think:

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:43 pm

My 2 best bucks one was killed on a Northwest wind and the other Southwest wind. I have killed small bucks in every wind except a east wind which is very rare to get.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:12 am

I have never heard of the Dr. before this thread. If he is selling books maybe his signature difference is hunting one wind. It sounds more like boilerplate reading than anything factual for hunting. I mean, anyone that has hunted much, knows for a fact this wind theory of his is not correct. He may know his onions but it sounds like he is trying to sell the outer skin.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:47 am

Agreed Stan

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:41 am

Wlog wrote:Don't agree with the only hunt northerly wind theory. Deer move every day period.

Deer need to eat every day. If I waited to only hunt a north wind I would rarely get in the woods to hunt.

Hunt every day you can and hunt the wind.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:43 am

I have been on plenty of properties that lay out well for one certain wind... If he is compiling his data on a single property, thats probably why he believes in his theories...
Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:51 am

I read the book before finding this site. There is lots of good stuff you can learn elsewhere, but still helpful to a new hunter. He dispels a lot of common hunting myths. Everything is based on statistics he has compiled. Most of them from a daily pay to hunt outfitter. He does consulting for the outfitter and obviously they have paying clients on warm south wind days. He helps set up stands and food plots for those conditions, but he won't hunt himself on them. I think his numbers and reasoning are sound, they just aren't practical for most hunters.

His objective is to kill on every sit, so he only hunts when the conditions are optimal. I know AL rules have changed, but his policy was to always shoot the first deer in range every sit. Many times he would shoot a for first and a buck later. He has few obligations and lots of property, so he can be very picky with his hunting days. He only will sit a set once a season. Since he has so much property, I think he shoots a lot of management deer and donates the meat. I think he said he shoots about 30 a year now and I think it is all archery.

I think it's worth the read from a statistical standpoint. Just like everything else you have to adapt it to your situation. I spent some time trying to plan for only N wind hunts, but gave up on it once the season started. As most hunters, I make extra effort to hunt when it's relatively cold. He stated many times in the book that lots of people don't have the opportunity to hunt the way he does. He doesn't make the rules and just explains them.

http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
BowAssasin

Unread postby BowAssasin » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:35 pm

I hunt in the South in Northeast Louisiana to be exact I support his theory a little bit, however I can say we have a better chance to harvest deer where i hunt with a northly wind. I have 6 deer on my wall all with a bow, and the two biggest ones scoring in the high 40s were killed on a south wind one during rut and the other during pre rut.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”