Mobile or stand rotation?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Are you more Mobile? or rotational?

Mobile
58%
Rotational
13%
50/50
29%

Total votes: 283
blackwolf
500 Club

Re: Mobile or stand rotation?

Unread postby blackwolf » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:30 pm

About 75/25 rotational. I am very careful about using my rotational stands and they are used with only good wind and max of about 4 sits per year. I have taken a few good bucks on 3rd or 4th sit. When I run into a new hot area I will go mobile but my worn out back and knees dictate that I try to be set up way ahead of time.

Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:47 pm

I am 100% mobile however I prep my stands sites prior to season. I have over 60 marked trees on about 20,000 acres of public ground that I hunt.
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:54 am

Prefer mobile. Used to have a lot of fixed ladder stands om the private that I hunt. We took them all down about 5 years ago due to trespassers. Prior to that I hunted a mix of mobile and fixed. Now I hunt all mobile. I feel I am able to scout an area and make adjustments on the fly. It make the hunt more interesting switching up locations and I feel I have a better chance of getting on top of the deer's changing patterns. I have been using a LW Aplha hand climber, I added a LW hangon with 4 sticks this year.. This will really open up the types of trees I can get into..

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:08 am

I would also like to note that going mobile does not come without its hazards from time to time :)... On a good fixed set you can sneak in with little noise or physical exertion. Sometimes when your mobile climbs can be hard or not go as planned, due to the tree or position I have had to climb back down and start over on some hunts.. But to me its part of the adventure :).. I think Dan mentioned on a previous thread that you should try not to rush into your mobile set.. Take your time.. Slow down and sit if need be..

keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:42 am

Mobile to many things I can't control on a yearly basis, I have trees and spots I will return to each year if nobody has caught on to them.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:35 am

80/20 Rotational. The guy who owns the land I hunt would rather have us use fixed stands. I still bring my LW out with me and use it but usually stick to fixed because that is what he prefers. On 250 acres we are up to 27 fixed stands. There are three of us that hunt it and one guy likes to sit between two or three stands and thats about it. It leaves about 25 stands for two of us. Over the last two years we've added most of these stands and the deer sightings have gone way up from when we only had about 10. We usually only hunt the majority of stands 2 to 3 times a year and with the perfect wind. Lanes are all cut by now as well. I know its not the beast way but I try and stick to what my buddy who owns the land wants. I really concentrate on getting in quietly and quickly.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:54 am

Any time I can use a fixed stand I do. Fixed stands are sometimes impossible, just like not having a tree to hang a stand on. I often set up a fixed stand using gathered information from previous years. I have a couple new fixed stands I plan on using this year. I may hunt them once or twice. I may not hunt them at all.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:58 am

bump
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:30 am

I've pretty much always been a mobile hunter. I started with a climbing tree stand when I was 14 and still use it to this day. I have recently gone the Alpha and sticks route which helps in the public marsh trees that are a bit more knarly than those in the hardwood stands I hunt on private land. I typically have about 3 - 5 fixed stands used only on private land. Typically these stands are only hunted during the rut or during gun season. I find that I rarely keep any of the fixed stands in one spot for more than a year or two.

No matter which method I am using I seldom sit the same spot twice in a season.
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
moosehound

Unread postby moosehound » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:20 pm

mobile. except opening weekend of gun season.
I hunt whitetails all year long.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:26 am

I picked rotational. The private properties I hunt are small and even so there are several stands preset to cover different situations. On public, 100% mobile.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:08 am

Over the last few years I have transitioned to mostly mobile, I have started hunting out of my tree saddle a lot. I used to hang a dozen or so stands before the season when I hunted more private land. All but two of my bow bucks that I can think of were taken in spots where it was the first or second time hunting a spot, even if it was a pre-hung set. That tells me something.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:12 am

I'm all mobile right now especially on the small public pieces I hunt on. However, on the private I hunt I'm going to set out 30-40 pre-sets (steps only) next year for different winds, and uses throughout the season. I'll never use all of the setups, but each hunt will be a fresh sit. After hunting the property for two seasons, I'm seeing patterns come together every year but the good areas rotate due to crop rotation. If I sit in one of the presets and see some action elsewhere I can still move my setup because I'm hauling in my stand every hunt.
C&T Archery
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ctarchery?ref=hl

Unread postby C&T Archery » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:15 am

Currently most of mine are rotational. We have leased land and try to set up enough pre-sets for all different wind conditions. problem is a lot of stands are fairly close as the property isn't the biggest.

Hopefully I will become more mobile after my brother's knee replacement. I'm the only hunting partner he has, so i kind of fell like I should be close. he wants to be more mobile also, just tough for him to do much if any walking at all.
http://www.ctarchery.com
email: sales@ctarchery.com

[glow=red]Farmers Insurance -- Chad Ratzburg Agency
FOR A FREE LOOK AT YOUR AUTO, HOME, ATV, BOAT, LIFE OR BUSINESS INSURANCE NEEDS. PM ME OR EMAIL ME
Email: cratzburg@farmersagent.com
[/glow]
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:15 am

I do not have a single fixed stand, all of my sets are mobile. Gun season I usually hunt the same tree (if I don't kill a buck on the first sit which I normally do) simply because everyone has "their" spot and we hunt them regardless. Bow hunting I seldom ever hunt the same tree twice, I might go into a different tree in the same general area but that can sometimes be all it takes to get one. I like the convenience of per set stands which is why I avoid them, most guys get sloppy and over hunt them. I also don't like to leave sign where I hunt for others to pick up on. With that said on the private I hunt I am thinking of putting in steps in advance so all I gotta do is climb up and hang the stand, but I'm still undecided.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”