DNR board object to Walker

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: DNR board object to Walker

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:52 pm

Do a search who sits on the board and their credentials to do so......

See how many times the board voted against the counties reps in the spring hearing.

The big one last year was to allow trolling in northern counties on class a musky waters. The public voted it down in the spring by a wide margin in the northern counties.

A big shot dnr rep in Madison thought hogwash and advised the bogus board to recommend otherwise.

After the public anoucemnt Walker stepped and forced a re-vote for the next 2 years.

Good move by Walker.

Either change the board members to actual biologists or strip their power.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
trapper57
500 Club

Unread postby trapper57 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:58 pm

I hope Walker cleans house.
I'm so sick of what's going with the natural resources in Wi.
It's a joke!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:52 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:Do a search who sits on the board and their credentials to do so......

See how many times the board voted against the counties reps in the spring hearing.

The big one last year was to allow trolling in northern counties on class a musky waters. The public voted it down in the spring by a wide margin in the northern counties.

A big shot dnr rep in Madison thought hogwash and advised the bogus board to recommend otherwise.

After the public anoucemnt Walker stepped and forced a re-vote for the next 2 years.

Good move by Walker.

Either change the board members to actual biologists or strip their power.

x2 a LOT OF THOSE PEOPLE GOT THERE JOBS BECAUSE OF POLITICAL REASONS. A lot of them were appointed by Doyle, and are democrat Liberals with an agenda. They are not educated wildlife professionals.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:31 pm

http://dnr.wi.gov/about/nrb/members.html

This is a list of board members.

Previous members were chairman's of banks, heads of realtor businesses, president of a large car dealership and so on.

If my memory is correct they only meet once a month and vote/pass bills.

Being a dnr board member is not their full time job.

Opinions vary, but the few I knew personally that are biologists within the dnr were not satisfied with original process and all of the boards decisions. The board had/has the authority to overturn biologists decisions.

I have yet to discuss this new arrangement with the dnr reps I know.....can't say if they are for Walkers new idea, just know they disliked the board. (Most wouldn't admit their personal opinions until after years of knowing me and would stress it was just their opinion.)

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:47 pm

While I agree completely that he Board is misguided and formed poorly, let's not lose site of the fact Kathy Stepp is the exact same kind of appointee that the board members are and she will essentially be given more power with almost no background in anything related to Natural Resources other than having to go through permitting for her construction business. I have heard her speak at a couple of events, I would go past unimpressive to downright scary.

Though I'm in IL now, growing up in WI and still recreating there very often, I try to keep up. This move could be seen as positive if the power was given to the right folks, instead it scares me. Nothing to do with political leanings and I try very hard to separate some of the economic policy from the environmental policy (thought the UW cuts are also quite absurd).

While we seem to be taking some positive strides for the deer heard in the last two years, things like Gogebic Taconite loom larger in the background. Sometimes I wonder if listening to us on the deer heard is an attempt to distract the public from the more important issues DNR deals with like water/air quality, etc.

Just my two cents.
nater

Unread postby nater » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:43 am

Ask any Wisconsin DNR employee who will give you an honest answer what they think about Walker. It's all well and good to say you want to support "natural resource professionals" instead of political appointees, but I wouldn't say that Walker is supporting the professionals by eliminating positions, freezing pay, and cutting budgets. The Wisconsin DNR will be losing some good people, no doubt.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:14 am

Kraftd wrote:While I agree completely that he Board is misguided and formed poorly, let's not lose site of the fact Kathy Stepp is the exact same kind of appointee that the board members are and she will essentially be given more power with almost no background in anything related to Natural Resources other than having to go through permitting for her construction business. I have heard her speak at a couple of events, I would go past unimpressive to downright scary.

Though I'm in IL now, growing up in WI and still recreating there very often, I try to keep up. This move could be seen as positive if the power was given to the right folks, instead it scares me. Nothing to do with political leanings and I try very hard to separate some of the economic policy from the environmental policy (thought the UW cuts are also quite absurd).

While we seem to be taking some positive strides for the deer heard in the last two years, things like Gogebic Taconite loom larger in the background. Sometimes I wonder if listening to us on the deer heard is an attempt to distract the public from the more important issues DNR deals with like water/air quality, etc.

Just my two cents.

True... But there are some major differences. I don't think Walker fired any of the educated staff to apoint his buddys those jobs like Doyle did... I also feel as the head of the WDNR he had a duty to clean up the filth. But did not have the time to do it himself, so he had to appoint someone to carry out his wishes... She needs no formal wildlife education to direct people. She has people under her that have wildlife degrees... In case you did not know, Walker also provided the funding and mandated the hiring of trained wildlife biologists in every county, thats where we got mark from on this site... Doyle fired them and hired his neighbors, friends, and people who donated to his campaign.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:55 am

dan wrote:
Kraftd wrote:While I agree completely that he Board is misguided and formed poorly, let's not lose site of the fact Kathy Stepp is the exact same kind of appointee that the board members are and she will essentially be given more power with almost no background in anything related to Natural Resources other than having to go through permitting for her construction business. I have heard her speak at a couple of events, I would go past unimpressive to downright scary.

Just my two cents.

True... But there are some major differences. I don't think Walker fired any of the educated staff to apoint his buddys those jobs like Doyle did... I also feel as the head of the WDNR he had a duty to clean up the filth. But did not have the time to do it himself, so he had to appoint someone to carry out his wishes... She needs no formal wildlife education to direct people. She has people under her that have wildlife degrees... In case you did not know, Walker also provided the funding and mandated the hiring of trained wildlife biologists in every county, thats where we got mark from on this site... Doyle fired them and hired his neighbors, friends, and people who donated to his campaign.

You'll get no argument from me that Doyle was a train wreck as far as DNR management, and just generally. I am also completely understanding that having a formal technical background is not necessarily a prerequisite to run an organization of that size. For context, I worked at DNR for a couple of years as an LTE in the Dam Safety and Floodplain department. I am a consulting engineer now and 30-50% of my work is permitting through agencies like Wisconsin DNR, and DNR itself, so I have a fair understanding of DNR and what they do.

My particular concern is that the research I have done on Stepp and the couple of times I have run across, her, I'm not sure I personally believe she is qualified on either a technical or management front. I think they have made strides in wildlife management under this administration, I also appreciate the anecdotal evidence that there appears to have been direction to the wardens to use judgment on violations, and the push to streamline permitting processes is certainly appreciated by me and my clients. My concern just remains that these are window dressing to allow for big business to come in and dictate policy and that there is a background movement to lessen environmental regulations, which has occurred. I'm not at all for bigger government, but certain things, like water quality, I feel we long ago established a need to protect ourselves from ourselves.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”