Difference between marsh hunting and swamp hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

briar
500 Club

Difference between marsh hunting and swamp hunting

Unread postby briar » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:11 am

Around here we just really don't have marsh land. Our wetlands are more or treeless less swamps. Is there a difference or is that just in my mind? If there is a difference would there be different information or technique you would use to hunt one vs the other?

SRWbowhunter

Re: Difference between marsh hunting and swamp hunting

Unread postby SRWbowhunter » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:26 am

Good question I guess I always just figured they were interchangeable

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:43 am

There will be some differences depending on the type of swamp but overall I hunt them just like you would a marsh. Basically get in there and let the sign show you what is it up, don't limit yourself or set any rules or expectations.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:09 am

I use the term interchangeably but in NY I think of marsh as muck based with cattails (small islands of small trees) and swamp as wetland but drier and with many more trees (like a thick muddy forest). My property would be a combo of both. I could be totally wrong in the proper definitions. Most of our sets are in the swamp vs. marsh simply due to the lack of huntable trees in the marsh. There is a lot of bedding in the marsh though.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:20 am

Marsh is WAY easier IMO

Why? Because you can see the animals from a distance and pattern them...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:25 am

I'm trying an area with flooded timber...swamp right?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:28 am

Our swamps are wet and dry hardwood bottoms with a little marsh mixed in here and there.

justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:32 am

From what Dan showed us at the workshop in January, the marsh tactics and areas to focus are similar to what I refer to as swamps in the northwoods. These are not cattail marshes, they are more like conifer swamps, both low and wet. From my limited observation of these northwoods swamps, activity is focused on or near the edges, just like we saw in the cattail marsh.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:11 am

I hunt marsh and swamp in similar fashion. As mentioned, they are still bedding on edge. On points, fingers, bowls, islands, etc... Just harder to see those features with an aerial or the naked eye because of tree and brush cover vs cattails.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:28 am

I find it is a lot easier to hunt marshes. Access, bedding, transitions are easier to define.

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:25 am

justin84 wrote:From what Dan showed us at the workshop in January, the marsh tactics and areas to focus are similar to what I refer to as swamps in the northwoods. These are not cattail marshes, they are more like conifer swamps, both low and wet. From my limited observation of these northwoods swamps, activity is focused on or near the edges, just like we saw in the cattail marsh.

x2. I will also say that cattail marshes are about 10x easier to figure out, because the deer sign can be so blatantly obvious. Sometimes it's tough to tell what's fresh in a wet evergreen swamp, which is why I always hunt the wet/dry edge when I hunt them.
uncleron

Unread postby uncleron » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:46 pm

Something else to consider, many times a marsh is bordered by a body of water on 1 or more sides. Making it easier to tell which direction the deer will be coming and going. Swamps can be smack dab in the middle of the woods and the deer can leave and approach from any way they please.

Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:12 pm

You cannot forget the region the swamp is in, for example I would go about hunting a Northern Swamp completely different than a Southern Swamp. This doesn't pertain to the hunt specifically but preparing for the hunt, which is equally as important. A Northern Swamp might have some venomous snakes and skeeters, but a Southern Swamp will harbor skeeters, ticks, chiggers and everything else that stings. Forget a Thermacell in a Southern Swamp and I guarantee you'll question your sanity. You also cannot forget about the Wild Boar that thrive in Swamps, deer prefer to stay away from hogs which will dictate where you should setup.

I hate to get off on a tangent but preparation is the key to success and underestimating Mother Nature doesn't always end well. Plus I'm jealous y'all don't have to deal with Chiggers or hogs.. :clap:
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:19 pm

uncleron wrote:Something else to consider, many times a marsh is bordered by a body of water on 1 or more sides. Making it easier to tell which direction the deer will be coming and going. [glow=red]Swamps can be smack dab in the middle of the woods and the deer can leave and approach from any way they please[/glow].

I agree......certainly adds a twist when trying to figure the swamp areas out.
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:44 am

The area I am looking at is a swamp with bordering giant area of phragmites that is impossible to get through. In this situation I am guessing I should concentrate on the edge where the phragmites meets the more open woods.

Would this be a transition line?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”