Google earth pro...free

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

darenative

Google earth pro...free

Unread postby darenative » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:49 am

I know there are a pretty good handful of beast members that are utilizing gps for scouting and navigating, and with the pro version of google earth you can import and export tracks and waypoints as overlays.

This is a link to a free(2 year I think) trial of google earth pro. I think their servers are getting overloaded and I had to hit f5 and resend the page about 10 times before it went through, but it works awesome. Hopefully the link works and it will help fellow beast members out.

http://slickdeals.net/?pv=&au=&sdtid=76 ... trial.html

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: Google earth pro...free

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:55 am

Thanks for the link.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:57 am

I downloaded the Pro yesterday but haven't seen any difference with the regular goggle earth. Did you see any difference at all?
darenative

Unread postby darenative » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:14 am

Bigb, when I connect my garmin 62 via usb cable I can import waypoints and tracks and they are overlayed onto Pro and they are not importable on regular google earth. I believe you can also export custom tracks and waypoints to your supported gps device. There is also a bunch of tool functions and editing functions that don't exist in regular GE. Resolution on images that are printed is better in Pro GE. I've only messed with it for about 15 minutes, so I'm sure there is more features that I haven't discovered.
frogtosser

Unread postby frogtosser » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:06 pm

What did you use as a company name and job?
darenative

Unread postby darenative » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:08 pm

frogtosser wrote:What did you use as a company name and job?

I guess you could use pretty much anything. I used my company name and job title.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:43 pm

frogtosser wrote:What did you use as a company name and job?

I put "n/a" and "n/a" and "Media" for the type.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:43 am

Thanks for the link.
darenative

Unread postby darenative » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:20 am

Bowhunter15 is the resident tech junkie, he will no doubt have the program wired in short order. Maybe he will show us old timers a few tricks to get the most out of GE pro...maybe a short video tutorial :pray:
Wapiti

Unread postby Wapiti » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:21 am

GE Pro also shows parcel boundaries and provides limited parcel information in many, but not all, states.
nater

Unread postby nater » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:32 am

Pro also lets you measure area, which is really helpful. Normal Google Earth only lets you measure distance of a line.
Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:28 am

Signed up. Thanks for sharing!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:04 am

Thanks for the info about GE pro being free. So far, the only real advantage I have discovered ( over regular GE), is the ability to save the screen aerial image as a HIGH RESOLUTION JPG. This is significant to me because I can zoom out and cover a bigger area on an aerial while in GE pro (what you see on your computer screen is what you get), save it, and still have the high resolution thru out the whole picture!

i.e. I can now make custom aerials for my garmin gps using any google earth aerial..yet have the convenience of covering much larger areas (4x's larger) per map.

In a nutshell..
- get your picture on screen in GE pro
- select..save image.. from tool bar at top
- select..maximum resolution (4800x3330).. then save image
- select..add image overlay..from top tool bar..browse to your picture and select..open
-adjust transparency to 50% so you see both images, and line up as best you can (this is actually very accurate)
-once lined up..slide transparency back to full opaque and click..ok
- At left sidebar find your new overlayed image and select..save place as.. select KMZ
-find your new KMZ file (i put mine in my documents) and select..open with..then select..Google Earth..this allows you to verify your new aerial is properly lined up with GE
-normally, you could simply put this KMZ in your garmins CustomMaps folder, BUT, it is too big for the gps to read..so
-use G-Raster (super simple software $5) to break the big KMZ into smaller tiles your garmin can read..this literally takes only a couple mouse clicks

I realize alot of guys could care less about all this geeky mapping stuff, and thats great. But for guys who use their gps for more efficient scouting and navigating, it is nice to be able to have the best possible aerials available. I personally don't use a smart phone for scouting.
Last edited by KLEMZ on Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:44 am

I do appreciate this info, I would love to have aerial on my gps. I think the Birdseye from garmin is junk

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mobowhunter77

Unread postby mobowhunter77 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:38 am

darenative wrote:Bigb, when I connect my garmin 62 via usb cable I can import waypoints and tracks and they are overlayed onto Pro and they are not importable on regular google earth. I believe you can also export custom tracks and waypoints to your supported gps device. There is also a bunch of tool functions and editing functions that don't exist in regular GE. Resolution on images that are printed is better in Pro GE. I've only messed with it for about 15 minutes, so I'm sure there is more features that I haven't discovered.

Just FYI. I'm able to do everything you mentioned here with the regular Google Earth. Thanks to bowhunter15 for his tutorial.

I'm also able to geotag my photo taken at each location using Picasa3. I think picasa is now own by google.

Just download picasa then select a photo and click geotag on one of the menu bar (can't remember which right now). [s]I'll post a photo later when I have a chance[/s].

Here you go.
1. select the photo then go tools->geotag-> geotag with google earth.
2. If your camera has a gps built like most phones it will place the photo in the right spot or close to it.
3. If not you will have to center it using the zoom (mouse wheel) by centering the cross hair on the location you took the photo in google earth.
4. then click geotag.

Here's a sample.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”