Bucks bedding in standing corn

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tcop7
500 Club

Re: Bucks bedding in standing corn

Unread postby tcop7 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:02 pm

I hunt in very flat farm land and deer spend a lot of time in the corn around here. When the corn comes off is when you really start seeing them. I know quite a few farmers and they say that when they are picking corn the deer will stay in there until the last one or two strips with the combine. They say it's nothing to see 15 or 20 deer come out of the corn on the last few passes.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

[glow=green]Experience Is What You Get When You Didn't Get What You Wanted![/glow]

[glow=blue]McLaughlin Athletic Center[/glow]
[glow=blue]Northwest Ohio's Youth Sports Complex![/glow]
[dropshadow=blue]Visit us at --->[/dropshadow]http://www.macgymohio.com/ [dropshadow=blue]<---[/dropshadow]
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:46 pm

I shot one of my 8 pointers last year by a combine running the deer out. I had no idea he was picking that day. He started about 9am. When I heard his combine, I moved to a funnel I thought the deer would move thru after being kicked out of the corn. I shot him at 11:20am trying to sneak into another bedding area. Once the leafs fall in my area I think 90% of the deer will bed in the corn if its still standing. The woodlots get alot of pressure starting oct1 in my area.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Wapiti

Unread postby Wapiti » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:24 am

Bucky wrote:My Sept buck this year was bedded in the corn or very close to it in a tree line.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

This is where I typically see them, especially on grassy points that extend out from woodlots. Most bucks I've bumped in cornfields have been within 50 yards of the woods. That's not to say they wouldn't bed elsewhere in it, however.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:31 am

In classic farmland where hunting pressure is focused on the timbered creek drainages, I've seen plenty of big bucks bed and utilize the standing corn cover to avoid pressure.

In other situations devoid of real pressure, I'd agree with the other guys on grassy areas near the edges or first two rows. All in all I still think they are within 50-75 yards of some "structure" type.

Pressure changes the game.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”