Bucks bedding in standing corn

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Bucks bedding in standing corn

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:50 am

What percentage of the time do you think mature bucks will bed in nearby standing corn versus the woods. Does it make much difference if it is flat ground woods or hill country woods? It seems to me they would be much more likely to bed in the corn if the nearby woods were small, urban with a lot of human activity, disturbance, etc. Does that matter much? Would they typically bed there the whole time the corn is standing?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
stash59

Re: Bucks bedding in standing corn

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:30 am

Don't know much about what the mature bucks do but the deer I've seen while stalking corn fields were usually bedded where some taller weeds growing between the rows.
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:52 pm

stash59 wrote:Don't know much about what the mature bucks do but the deer I've seen while stalking corn fields were usually bedded where some taller weeds growing between the rows.

That is interesting. In one corn field, there is a small, maybe 30 foot wide by 50 footing grassy area, I have wondered if they would tend to bed or hang out within this little spot since it was maybe more comfortable for them.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:55 pm

I have not seen very many bucks bed right in corn...similar to like stash said typically I see bucks and all deer really bedding in grassy swales, on terraces, fence rows, islands of cover, and similar in a corn field. They do like to bed right up next to standing corn...and in my experience as soon as soon as the corn comes out they tend to retreat to bigger or heavier cover.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:27 pm

Your right. I was always told that during the October lull the deer were all in the corn. So I would stalk them midday if it was really windy. Truthfully I didn't actually see that many. But when I did they were in some weeds that they could just see over or through. This was in sand country where they irrigated so there weren't any swales.
Tom's Hunting Lodge
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Toms-Hun ... 9489827174

Unread postby Tom's Hunting Lodge » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:28 am

goto Youtube and check out Toad Smiths Tricks for hunting whitetail deer in the corn.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:01 am

I have done quite a bit of standing corn hunting. 30 years ago the rows were way wider than they are today. Corn is a good escape for deer. They are very comfortable in and around it for this reason. The grass pockets hold more bedding deer than the corn rows. If corn is next to a timber or wood lot the corridor in between is a good place to set up on.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:22 am

Stan have you found that all the other nesissaties still apply? Like proximity to water,other food sources (they ain't just gonna eat corn). How do you go about choosing which corn fields to even bother with?
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:51 am

I Killed a handful of big bucks that were bedded in standing corn including my biggest one. When the wood lots are full of hunters the standing corn definitely provides the only area in a high-pressure situation that has virtually no human activity. I agree though that it's usually in certain areas like tips of hedgerows, grassy swale areas, and on the down one side of the small woodlots . More so in area void of swamps and marshes that provide similar security.

mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:15 am

Stanley wrote:I have done quite a bit of standing corn hunting. 30 years ago the rows were way wider than they are today. Corn is a good escape for deer. They are very comfortable in and around it for this reason. The grass pockets hold more bedding deer than the corn rows. If corn is next to a timber or wood lot the corridor in between is a good place to set up on.

Obviously sign would be the main tell, but you think any grassy pockets inside the corn would be a good bet? Would a ground blind be the best, stalking, or just hiding out on a chair?

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:27 am

My Sept buck this year was bedded in the corn or very close to it in a tree line.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:29 am

The day before Arrowbender killed his buck we got a trail cam photo of him walking into a waterway in the corn in the morning and coming out in the same spot in the evening. I think he was bedded in that grass in the corn all day. Approximately 6 yard wide waterway.

mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:37 am

Does it have to be high pressure from hunters or would they get pushed in by other human pressure (hikers, kids, if an urban setting). Guess what I am asking is do they use it when available and then the woods when not maybe? What percentage of the time would they spend there? I would think most of the time except when they got tired of eating corn and wanted something else or pursuing a doe.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:44 am

I'm convinced bugs in the summer will make em bed in corn

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:22 pm

Bucky wrote:I'm convinced bugs in the summer will make em bed in corn

If it gets them away from ticks and flies I could sure see that!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”