coyote hunters (dogs) trespassing

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

coyote hunters (dogs) trespassing

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:40 am

Would it bother you guys, if you owned 60 acres, and area coyote hunters with hounds bust through your land a few times a year, without asking permission?

I understand the dogs are going to run and maybe there is nothing the hunter can do about it, or can they? Don't they have shockers on those collars now to stop a dog?

The hunters have permission 3 land parcels over, but they seem to be always ending up going through mine and my neighbors land.

When my neighbor confronted the hunters about them going through our land without so much as asking for permission, the hunter just laughed, and said "its not a big deal".

I don't know, this day and age, I think one should at least ask, don't you?

I don't know if it stresses deer out or not running hounds through the woods, but it certainly can't help.,.

OK, rant over....

[ Post made via Android ] Image

186buck

Re: coyote hunters (dogs) trespassing

Unread postby 186buck » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:53 am

If it's during deer season then I would say no keep them out. But if they are doing it after deer season is over I would thank them for helping me get rid of coyotes. I've had to much trouble with coyotes so as far as I'm conserned the more they kill the better.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:00 am

Db I agree 100 percent. They think they can go anywhere once they have permission from one land owner on the block .Then they act like they are doing a public service by shooting them. When really they are doing it for there own fun. I don't care how many coyotes need to be killed, u don't step on someone else's property without permission period.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
186buck

Unread postby 186buck » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:18 am

Thats the problem with people these days. Back in the day my father tells me how people would just work together. No body stood on there propert lines and cryed if a dog chased a coyote accross the property line. I hope you guy's that complain about the coyote hunter have to leave a deer over night some time. When the buck you've been chaseing all year is eaten I think you may see it differently. Let me be clear if it's during deer season I would say no but after what are they hurting?
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:25 am

It would bother me. Not the fact that they are busting through there, but the fact that they are busting through there [glow=red]without permission[/glow]
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
msailor

Unread postby msailor » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:37 am

hunter_mike wrote:It would bother me. Not the fact that they are busting through there, but the fact that they are busting through there [glow=red]without permission[/glow]

Dogs can't trespass...at least not in Missouri. Here's a famous court case proving just that, http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/hun ... hould-know
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:41 am

If they would just ask.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:44 am

msailor wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:It would bother me. Not the fact that they are busting through there, but the fact that they are busting through there [glow=red]without permission[/glow]

Dogs can't trespass...at least not in Missouri. Here's a famous court case proving just that, http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/hun ... hould-know

I did not know that. Not sure what the regs are in wisconsin. It would/does still bother me :snooty: just because its legal don't mean its very considerate
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:57 am

Coon hunters up in my parts run dogs through alot of properties. My brother used to coon hunt with a group and they had many issues with ticked off landowners and DNR. Somehow they never got any trespassing fines. I think I wouldn't mind if hunters ran their dogs through at night as long as nothing was tampered with and left no evidence of their presence. Its part of the hunting culture where I live. It happens regularly.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:16 am

I'll start by saying that I totally agree with you in that they should be asking permission. It would bother me too. I also know that guys that run coyotes catch a ton of from landowners now a days, I believe some of them have given up on the permission thing and there are always those that just don't care(goes for anything though). There is a couple big problems now a days.

1. The lack of respect for people/property by all . By this I mean disrespectful hound guys that don't treat people or property like they should which gives us all a bad rap. Also, so many new property owners believe any one steping foot on their property is there to destroy or pillage there land or run "their" deer off. People do not trust anyone anymore and with good reason I guess with the way society is today.

2. Land has been split up and bought up by people from cities or out of town and/or those that bought it for the sole purpose of hunting. You don't have the family owned land or big farms in an area much anymore. Also, the fact that so many non-locals own land doesn't help either. Back in the day, every body knew every body. Land owners knew the guys that were running the dogs, probably grew up with them or their kids grew up with them. You don't have that anymore. People are so protective of there land and in a lot of cases are worried about "their" deer. This is what lends itself to guys giving up on getting permission as long as they know a few people in the area. It is impossible to get permission from all landowners in any one area now. So they choice is to quit hunting or plan on getting your but chewed once in a while.

Most people just plain don't get it that those hounds running through there woods is not going to affect one single thing and this goes back to not giving out permission and why guys don't ask for it.

Also, the laws in wisconsin talk about dogs running at large. This does not pertain to hounds if their location is being monitored(the owners following them) while engaged in hunting activities.
186buck

Unread postby 186buck » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:37 am

I think alot of people will not give permission because they are worried about lawyers and lawsuits. Could the coyote hunters possible get permission from everybody in the area. Not likely. I'm all for keeping your land they way you want it but is a trip or two on your property to get a yote that big of a deal. If they are sneaking on for any other reason than by all means trespassing tickets are required.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:06 am

My coon dog is pretty smart...but I have trouble teaching him to read and not run passed those yellow posted signs...

I try my best to keep him on ground I have permission...I don't hunt spots I know I stand a good chance of him going on someone else's land..

But it does happen...

Coon hunting is a bit different...I'm out there in the middle of the night...I look at it from the land owners perspective... I much rather have you gather up your dog and be on your way than knock on the door in the middle of the night..my wife wakes up..kids wake up...all scared to death because some redneck with a funny light on his head is standing on the door step and there's a dog out back barking his head off...

Oh...it takes me and extra 20 mins to get to your house so the dog barks even longer than if I just slip in and grab my dog and slip back out...

If you come out yelling or call the cops on me so be it...I absolutely cannot get my dog back without physically going and getting him...he. Will bark treed till he dies...and you can't get him because he will rip your arm off if you try...shocker? I don't own one....and how am I to know he's going on posted land?? Then I shock my dog running a coon track like he's trained to...he's worth more than most peoples trucks..I shock him while he's running a coon and I just totally ruined him and he never chases another coon again...

Coon huntings a bit different...and coon don't run like coyotes do...

I would feel the same if I was a land owner...I get it...

Why not meet the guys and work out an agreement of sorts...they can't run till after deer season...and they gotta invite you anytime they are in the area...

Not a coyote hunter? Ever try it? Ever run dogs on anything? I'd give up all my hunting and hobbies if I could have a good coon dog and land to run coon for the rest of my life...yep..deer hunting too...I love runnin dogs...there's nothin I'd rather do...and I'd jump at the chance to run coyotes or cats or bear or deer...I've ran bear and deer down in NC and I was hooked immediately...

Just an option...

They honestly can't do much about it except quit hunting the area completely... And in a few quick years you'll have more coyotes then deer and you'll likely regret fussing over them...I've had coyotes screw up good deer and turkey hunts more than once....best way to kill coyotes is behind a good pack of hounds..

Like I said...I get it completely... But just throwing my thoughts out there and possible solutions...

Many of us hound runners absolutely love what we do and love our dogs and always looking to get people to come with us and we don't set out to trespass and cause trouble...we ain't all beer drinkin rednecks...

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:28 am

Well...
I'm not insinuating anything here but if those dogs "look" like a coyote and you "happened" to shoot the "coyote" - ahh never mind... ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:51 am

Hilts wrote:I'll start by saying that I totally agree with you in that they should be asking permission. It would bother me too. I also know that guys that run coyotes catch a ton of from landowners now a days, I believe some of them have given up on the permission thing and there are always those that just don't care(goes for anything though). There is a couple big problems now a days.

1. The lack of respect for people/property by all . By this I mean disrespectful hound guys that don't treat people or property like they should which gives us all a bad rap. Also, so many new property owners believe any one steping foot on their property is there to destroy or pillage there land or run "their" deer off. People do not trust anyone anymore and with good reason I guess with the way society is today.

2. Land has been split up and bought up by people from cities or out of town and/or those that bought it for the sole purpose of hunting. You don't have the family owned land or big farms in an area much anymore. Also, the fact that so many non-locals own land doesn't help either. Back in the day, every body knew every body. Land owners knew the guys that were running the dogs, probably grew up with them or their kids grew up with them. You don't have that anymore. People are so protective of there land and in a lot of cases are worried about "their" deer. This is what lends itself to guys giving up on getting permission as long as they know a few people in the area. It is impossible to get permission from all landowners in any one area now. So they choice is to quit hunting or plan on getting your but chewed once in a while.

Most people just plain don't get it that those hounds running through there woods is not going to affect one single thing and this goes back to not giving out permission and why guys don't ask for it.

Also, the laws in wisconsin talk about dogs running at large. This does not pertain to hounds if their location is being monitored(the owners following them) while engaged in hunting activities.

This!!!!

Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:57 am

The ask for forgivness instead of permission mentality is alive and well.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”