coyote hunters (dogs) trespassing

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

briar
500 Club

Re: coyote hunters (dogs) trespassing

Unread postby briar » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:19 am

What really makes me scratch my head is all the drum beating beast public land hunters why defy pressure and the odds and want to bash TV hunters and big managed farm hunters sure seem to want the same unpressured sanctuary's that they are so against when a photo of Tiffany gets posted with a another monster buck... :think:

vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:25 am

msailor wrote:
vanceg wrote:
JJWI wrote:Clemson University did a study on the effects on Deer during coon hunting years ago. Hopefully this link will work. http://tailgateadventures.com/impact-of-coon-hunting-to-deer-hunting.html

I guess no statistically significant changes in these deers’ movements were measured kinda kills the deer hunter argument that hounds screw up their deer hunting. Oh yeah, I still beleive trespassing is wrong.

First thing you learn when in grad school; Theres a difference between statistical significance and ecological significance.

I'm pretty sure this statistical significance isn't leading to wrong scientific conclusions being made on this study. I have seen the same results as this study. I kill mature bucks every year in the same place I run my hounds, every single year. This whole topic is another reason I'm getting sick of deer hunting and deer hunters. Dem dang dogs gonna run my buck clean out of the country and he ain't never coming back. doh. Oh yeah, I still believe trespassing is wrong.
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:28 am

briar wrote:What really makes me scratch my head is all the drum beating beast public land hunters why defy pressure and the odds and want to bash TV hunters and big managed farm hunters sure seem to want the same unpressured sanctuary's that they are so against when a photo of Tiffany gets posted with a another monster buck... :think:

Don't attack the beast member secret society, we're already on thin ice.
Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:19 am

Let's try to sum this whole thread up:

1. Trespassing is bad and disrespectful
2. Dogs running DEER does affect deer
3. Hounds running COYOTES does not affect deer. It may bump them, but it won't change their patterns or push them out of the country.
4. People trouncing through the woods after their dogs can affect the deer.
5. Coyotes running deer?????????
bones09

Unread postby bones09 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:41 am

vanceg wrote:
briar wrote:What really makes me scratch my head is all the drum beating beast public land hunters why defy pressure and the odds and want to bash TV hunters and big managed farm hunters sure seem to want the same unpressured sanctuary's that they are so against when a photo of Tiffany gets posted with a another monster buck... :think:

Don't attack the beast member secret society, we're already on thin ice.

Wow! This escalated quickly.

I don't think i saw one person mad about running hounds on public land? Maybe i missed something?

The fact still remains that trespassing is not ok with many landowners. Yes most landowners in the midwest protect their deer hunting. In the Dakota's or Kansas it's alot more bird hunters. Further west it's bigger game like elk, mule deer, etc that the landowners are protecting. What doesn't change is that trespassing is not ok, hound runners have admitted to believing this much. Yet, the dogs go where they go, and they can't help it. Makes the hound runners seem, well, pretty incompetent with their lack of control. But way worse is the "deal with it" "it doesn't hurt anything anyway" attitude. I guess the drum beating hound runners just gotta do what they gotta do, they got science on their side.. Just a little respect would go much further.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:26 am

It's about trespassing - pretty simple...
Whether or not you live in that state or not.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:36 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:It's about trespassing - pretty simple...
Whether or not you live in that state or not.
I can't speak for every state but iowa it's not trespassing I'm not sure why everyone is throwing that word around.Its legal to do.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
186buck

Unread postby 186buck » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:42 am

Could one of you guy's that hunt with dogs please explain it to me. I understand how it would work for bear and coons. The dogs run them up a tree and you come in and shoot them. But how does it work with coyote? You don't need to answer here feel free to start a new thread.
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:58 am

Some guys do it diff. We get around sec drive draws out till we spook one out then put the hounds on him till we can shoot him or they catch him the chase can last all day or just a few min. You keep track of them by listing to them bark some people have gps units as well. Other groups turn thear hounds out and wait for them to jump a coyote themselves coyote hounds are trained not to run deer and won't do it. I've seen them run threw huge groups of deer and not even think about chasing them. Hear in iowa our sections mail are 1 mile by 1 mile if we can hunt the hole section except 60 or 80 it's kinda hard sometimes to keep them out but when they do get in thear it's for a few min is all.

briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:09 am

186buck wrote:Could one of you guy's that hunt with dogs please explain it to me. I understand how it would work for bear and coons. The dogs run them up a tree and you come in and shoot them. But how does it work with coyote? You don't need to answer here feel free to start a new thread.

A coyote race can go a long way. Similar to what iowa whitetail said, some dogs are free cast, some are rigged, some are put on tracks found in the snow. The gps units really help the hunters get in front of the race for the shot or at times the coyote is caught and killed by the dogs.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:29 am

So if the dogs catch the coyote on someone's land that you don't have permission to be on, how do you retrieve the coyote?

iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:40 am

dreaming bucks wrote:So if the dogs catch the coyote on someone's land that you don't have permission to be on, how do you retrieve the coyote?

You dont. Thear normally worth about 2 dollars

briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:46 am

Let me start by saying that I am not a coyote hunter, I just never got into it, but I am a coon hunter. When you free cast dogs you hope for the best, but oftentimes no matter how well you plan, things just don't go that way and its very unpredictable. The good dogs I have been around don't have an off switch once they start a track. They pursue and track until they fall treed and they stay, or in the case of coyotes catch the coyote either because it makes a stand or a hunter shoots it.

As I said before if my dog trees where it doesn't belong I am already in trouble. All I can do is go to the closest house, see if they own the land and ask to get my dog. Most people in my experience have been very nice and I am out of there hair in minutes. I don't shine the tree and I certainly don't take a gun to shoot the coon unless I am asked to do so. If the landowner refuses all I can do is contact the warden or police and get them to help me get my dog....if the landowner wants to pursue a trespass ticket, that's fine I am sure not gonna cry about it, but all in all most of the time you get treated how you treat people and it is very rare I run into a problem.
msailor

Unread postby msailor » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:04 am

186buck wrote:Could one of you guy's that hunt with dogs please explain it to me. I understand how it would work for bear and coons. The dogs run them up a tree and you come in and shoot them. But how does it work with coyote? You don't need to answer here feel free to start a new thread.

They'll conviently forget to mention how they chase them in trucks and snap em from the cushion.
186buck

Unread postby 186buck » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:16 am

So how often do the dog kill versus hunter kills? What kind of dog do you use on yotes? Do they get them just by out numbering them or are they bigger dogs? I have some areas that I hunt that are over run by yotes. But they are very hard to kill or catch. We have alot of upland birds that get released and the yotes get there fill of the released birds. So they really are not very hungry so they don't come to calls and trapping is hard because the bird dogs get caught also. Drives work but they figure you out pretty quick.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”