coyote hunters (dogs) trespassing

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Re: coyote hunters (dogs) trespassing

Unread postby Brad » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:20 pm

Sounds like you are doing things the right way. Like I said If I owned land I would allow them to run the dogs, as long as they ask. I bet running the hounds is a hoot!

JJWI wrote:
Brad wrote:I call BS on the dogs (or hunters) not bothering the deer. Anyone ever see Hill country bucks and the dogs that ran a deer out of his bed? Also, I can see a buck being more tolerant of a dog or human intrusion at night than during the day, but that is not the point. Big bucks bed in a spot for a reason, and every intrusion in there is another notch in his weariness belt that might make him take up residence elsewhere, but even that is not the point. The point is if you are dogs are on land that you do not own and without permission, you are trespassing. Some states may allow it but it is still unethical and not right, and I would refer to someone who knowingly does this as a slob hunter, the same group of people I group as the type of hunter who trespass for other game animals, steal tree stands, or cams. We all know what is right and wrong, and this is clearly wrong and some still promote it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

The biggest factor in the Hill Country Bucks video is the dogs were pursuing the buck. As long as the dog isn't running the deer, the deer don't bust out of the area. Even on mature bucks, 2 years ago, my dogs ran a coon through a corn field not 50 yards from a hay field a 150 class buck was in. Both dogs treed 75 yards on the field edge and my daughter and I jumped this buck out of the field going to the dogs. The land owners son shot that buck a week later in that same field. A friend of mine owns 300 acres of the nicest creek bottom you ever seen. He had the same idea that the dogs run the deer out of the woods. I took him out one night during the summer. The field before the woods had about 20 deer in it. I turned my dog loose and all the deer looked at the dog as it ran past them. She got treed on the creek bank, and my friend couldn't believe there was a doe bedded 30 yards on the other side of the creek while my dog was treeing. Since that night he has no problem letting me hunt during the fall. Any time you want to go hunting and see what hound hunting is about, you have an open invite Brad. I am a hound hunter, and I don't agree with letting dogs run through with out permission. Asking for permission goes a long ways, but don't abuse it. That goes for any type of hunting. I have some areas that but up with other land owners that don't want me hunting in there woods. I simply ask if my dog goes from the land that I have permission to hunt and goes over in to their property, do I have permission to get my dog. A lot of times they will grant me permission to go in and get my dog. And that is exactly what I do if that situation comes about. No shining the tree, no shooting, leash up, and walk straight out. In all the years I have been hunting, I have never had a land owner say the deer sightings have gone down since I started hunting.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:00 pm

tim wrote:The only thing that matters in any of this conversation is this....if a landowner doesn't want u or your dogs on their land u shouldn't be on there. If u don't get that there's no use in discussing it any further.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

100% correct. I doesn't matter if the dog owners think it hurts nothing. It's what the land owner thinks. The land owner has the say any other thinking is skewed. And dogs do interfere with hunting deer on properties. I have seen many instances where dogs keep the deer out until the dogs are leashed up. Keep your dogs, atvs, and yourself where you belong and all is good. Just that simple.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:00 pm

Stanley wrote:
tim wrote:The only thing that matters in any of this conversation is this....if a landowner doesn't want u or your dogs on their land u shouldn't be on there. If u don't get that there's no use in discussing it any further.

100% correct. I doesn't matter if the dog owners think it hurts nothing. It's what the land owner thinks. The land owner has the say any other thinking is skewed. And dogs do interfere with hunting deer on properties. I have seen many instances where dogs keep the deer out until the dogs are leashed up. Keep your dogs, atvs, and yourself where you belong and all is good. Just that simple.

I think everyone agrees trespassing is wrong and we should keep our hounds off land they shouldn't be on. Like I said in a previous post trying to convince a deer hunter that dogs don't interfere with deer hunting is a impossible task. I see and experience it every season, it does nothing to deer. Just lock this thread. I've never seen one positive deer hunter vs. hound hunter on the internet.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:29 pm

vanceg wrote:
Stanley wrote:

I think everyone agrees trespassing is wrong and we should keep our hounds off land they shouldn't be on. Like I said in a previous post trying to convince a deer hunter that dogs don't interfere with deer hunting is a impossible task. I see and experience it every season, it does nothing to deer. Just lock this thread. I've never seen one positive deer hunter vs. hound hunter on the internet.

I would hope that nobody on here is against hunting with hounds. The things that hunters are divided on are what all of the anti hunting groups go after. Look at what's happening with baiting for bears in Maine. We definitely have to stand together.
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:11 am

Haus86 wrote:
vanceg wrote:
Stanley wrote:

I would hope that nobody on here is against hunting with hounds. The things that hunters are divided on are what all of the anti hunting groups go after. Look at what's happening with baiting for bears in Maine. We definitely have to stand together.

X2

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:58 am

I do my absolute best to keep my dogs where they belong and treat any landowner that allows or doesn't allow me to hunt with the utmost respect and gratitude. If I get permission on a surrounding 500 acres though and your 60 is in the middle and you don't allow it I am sorry but I cannot forgo the 500 simply to not risk coming onto your 60 once a year to retrieve a dog. I will come to your door, I will tell you who I am, I wil say I am sorry and If I have to pay the fine big deal I will apologize, pay the fine and be on my way. If the dog is on your land and you choose to shoot it so be it, I won't flip out, I will let the law setting it and push my rights simply as much as you pushed yours..totally fair but I bet you are surprised how much it ends up costing.

We have some pretty big chunks of public land around here. One I frequent a lot is just under 4000 acres, but you still get dogs that end up on bordering private and no matter how much you try, those dogs are just fast than you and you can't get around to cut them off in the middle of the woods before the damage is done and you are in fact trespassing. I avoid hunting much of the fall just to not risk bothering people who are out there deer hunting as I know I enjoy that also but things happen and I deal with them as they happen.
JJWI

Unread postby JJWI » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:06 pm

Clemson University did a study on the effects on Deer during coon hunting years ago. Hopefully this link will work. http://tailgateadventures.com/impact-of-coon-hunting-to-deer-hunting.html
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:53 pm

JJWI wrote:Clemson University did a study on the effects on Deer during coon hunting years ago. Hopefully this link will work. http://tailgateadventures.com/impact-of-coon-hunting-to-deer-hunting.html

I guess no statistically significant changes in these deers’ movements were measured kinda kills the deer hunter argument that hounds screw up their deer hunting. Oh yeah, I still beleive trespassing is wrong.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:15 pm

Didn't read through a bunch of pages but I have to agree with Stanley, trespassing is wrong, plain and simple. If the OP doesn't want the dogs on his property, he shouldn't have to justify keeping them off.

When it comes to that study, I feel like the group of deer is very skewed. It was composed of 56% fawns, traditionally the easiest to kill deer for a reason. They are wise to the woods. If your goal is to shoot fawns, than running dogs won't effect you. If you are looking to kill the mature bucks, I highly doubt they will tolerate coon hunter coming through once a week leaving scent everywhere. Plus, most coon hunter don't hunt alone so you have multiple people leaving scent, possible walking through bedding areas that you have stayed out of all year for a reason. I doubt the deer know the difference between the scent of a coon hunter and a deer hunter.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:16 pm

I can't go by some scientific study. I can go by what I have seen over the years dealing with dogs. If you have dogs running deer you are not going to have a peaceful uninterrupted hunt. I hunted a property about 10 years ago. I scouted the place and had a nice pattern figured out. I hunted the property and saw 4 dogs and no deer. The next day I hunted a different area of the same property saw the same four dogs and no deer.

I called the neighbor, the dogs owner and told him to keep the dogs out of the timber. The next day I killed a nice 11 point buck and the dogs were leashed up. So you can spew all you want that dogs don't mess up the deer hunting. But I know for a fact it does and like I said on more than just a couple of instances I have personal experiences with dogs and deer. They will mess up your deer hunting and that is fact.

I have seen dogs run deer and you sure aren't going to kill a good buck when dogs are running deer. Keep the dogs out of where they are not supposed to be and everything is good. If you don't have a legal place to run the dogs, you should rethink, of why you even have them.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:56 pm

Stanley wrote:I can't go by some scientific study. I can go by what I have seen over the years dealing with dogs. If you have dogs running deer you are not going to have a peaceful uninterrupted hunt. I hunted a property about 10 years ago. I scouted the place and had a nice pattern figured out. I hunted the property and saw 4 dogs and no deer. The next day I hunted a different area of the same property saw the same four dogs and no deer.

I called the neighbor, the dogs owner and told him to keep the dogs out of the timber. The next day I killed a nice 11 point buck and the dogs were leashed up. So you can spew all you want that dogs don't mess up the deer hunting. But I know for a fact it does and like I said on more than just a couple of instances I have personal experiences with dogs and deer. They will mess up your deer hunting and that is fact.

I have seen dogs run deer and you sure aren't going to kill a good buck when dogs are running deer. Keep the dogs out of where they are not supposed to be and everything is good. If you don't have a legal place to run the dogs, you should rethink, of why you even have them.

I thought the this thread was about hounds running coyotes and how it affected deer. So you saw yard dogs in the woods and killed an 11 point the next day? What are we talking about hounds running other target game or mutts running deer? Your I can't go by some scientific study comment is kind of scary. Scientific research is very important in all our lives. It makes you sound, well simple. Once again trespassing is bad but lets not confuse hounds running other game and mutts chasing a deer. Those have two different affects on deer.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:32 pm

I think hounds hounds are great and I am always amazed what they can track down. Definitely not against hounds or their handlers just wouldn't want them on my hunting property during deer season or without permission.

I think Briar has the right approach, he hunts his dogs but with respect to landowners.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:15 am

Stanley wrote:I can't go by some scientific study. I can go by what I have seen over the years dealing with dogs. If you have dogs running deer you are not going to have a peaceful uninterrupted hunt. I hunted a property about 10 years ago. I scouted the place and had a nice pattern figured out. I hunted the property and saw 4 dogs and no deer. The next day I hunted a different area of the same property saw the same four dogs and no deer.

we are not talking about dogs chasing deer, coyote and coon chasing. If you killed a buck the next day it must not have screwed much up. This topic could be like the song that never ends. It's not just about if dogs screw the hunting up its also land owners rights. I do not hunt during deer season, I don't walk on the land or drive on the land. If you don't want my dogs on your land I try to prevent it but sometimes it's impossible creeks, fences, snow is to deep, lost ware the dogs are, so many things are against you. Like I said I'm a landowner and have yote dogs so I see both sides. We have hunted the last two days 11 dead coyotes and not once did the dogs or us get on non permission property.

BCam

Unread postby BCam » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:29 am

Went coyote hunting this past weekend before the storm hit. These dogs do not run deer, only coyotes. They ran a coyote through a lake bottom next to my uncles property. Apparently all the deer in the area were holed up in there because we quit counting after 50 as they ran across a field. You can't tell me that the dogs don't effect deer in the area. I've seen otherwise.

I also agree that if a landowner doesn't want you or your dogs on their property then you and your dogs should not be on their property. It's as simple as that. IMO....
msailor

Unread postby msailor » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:13 am

vanceg wrote:
JJWI wrote:Clemson University did a study on the effects on Deer during coon hunting years ago. Hopefully this link will work. http://tailgateadventures.com/impact-of-coon-hunting-to-deer-hunting.html

I guess no statistically significant changes in these deers’ movements were measured kinda kills the deer hunter argument that hounds screw up their deer hunting. Oh yeah, I still beleive trespassing is wrong.

First thing you learn when in grad school; Theres a difference between statistical significance and ecological significance.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”