coyote hunters (dogs) trespassing

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Southern Man
500 Club

Re: coyote hunters (dogs) trespassing

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:16 am

briar wrote:Let me start by saying that I am not a coyote hunter, I just never got into it, but I am a coon hunter. When you free cast dogs you hope for the best, but oftentimes no matter how well you plan, things just don't go that way and its very unpredictable. The good dogs I have been around don't have an off switch once they start a track. They pursue and track until they fall treed and they stay, or in the case of coyotes catch the coyote either because it makes a stand or a hunter shoots it.

As I said before if my dog trees where it doesn't belong I am already in trouble. All I can do is go to the closest house, see if they own the land and ask to get my dog. Most people in my experience have been very nice and I am out of there hair in minutes. I don't shine the tree and I certainly don't take a gun to shoot the coon unless I am asked to do so. If the landowner refuses all I can do is contact the warden or police and get them to help me get my dog....if the landowner wants to pursue a trespass ticket, that's fine I am sure not gonna cry about it, but all in all most of the time you get treated how you treat people and it is very rare I run into a problem.

Good for you. I don't think anyone could expect anything more. The problems arise when those that don't respect others property regardless of what the landowner thinks.

You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:19 am

186buck wrote:So how often do the dog kill versus hunter kills? What kind of dog do you use on yotes? Do they get them just by out numbering them or are they bigger dogs? I have some areas that I hunt that are over run by yotes. But they are very hard to kill or catch. We have alot of upland birds that get released and the yotes get there fill of the released birds. So they really are not very hungry so they don't come to calls and trapping is hard because the bird dogs get caught also. Drives work but they figure you out pretty quick.
I have 2 hounds they are old enough that 2 of them will kill a coyote no problem. Yes we use trucks and radios. My hounds are walker hounds. We shoot them more often than the dogs kill them.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:25 am

msailor wrote:
186buck wrote:Could one of you guy's that hunt with dogs please explain it to me. I understand how it would work for bear and coons. The dogs run them up a tree and you come in and shoot them. But how does it work with coyote? You don't need to answer here feel free to start a new thread.

They'll conviently forget to mention how they chase them in trucks and snap em from the cushion.
we hunt them with trucks and radios. They have been doing it like that forever.

briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:46 am

Southern Man wrote:
briar wrote:Let me start by saying that I am not a coyote hunter, I just never got into it, but I am a coon hunter. When you free cast dogs you hope for the best, but oftentimes no matter how well you plan, things just don't go that way and its very unpredictable. The good dogs I have been around don't have an off switch once they start a track. They pursue and track until they fall treed and they stay, or in the case of coyotes catch the coyote either because it makes a stand or a hunter shoots it.

As I said before if my dog trees where it doesn't belong I am already in trouble. All I can do is go to the closest house, see if they own the land and ask to get my dog. Most people in my experience have been very nice and I am out of there hair in minutes. I don't shine the tree and I certainly don't take a gun to shoot the coon unless I am asked to do so. If the landowner refuses all I can do is contact the warden or police and get them to help me get my dog....if the landowner wants to pursue a trespass ticket, that's fine I am sure not gonna cry about it, but all in all most of the time you get treated how you treat people and it is very rare I run into a problem.

Good for you. I don't think anyone could expect anything more. The problems arise when those that don't respect others property regardless of what the landowner thinks.

Well thanks, I try to do all I can to be as respectful as possible and it has given me a lot of opportunities to hunt. The way things are now though I am about ready to quit the sport. It ends up being very stressful every time you turn a dog loose. I think of it is real and some of it is perceived after years of reading about trespassing on a variety of forums. Even places I know I am allowed to be I am never comfortable.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:58 am

iowa whitetail wrote:
Stanley wrote:I can't go by some scientific study. I can go by what I have seen over the years dealing with dogs. If you have dogs running deer you are not going to have a peaceful uninterrupted hunt. I hunted a property about 10 years ago. I scouted the place and had a nice pattern figured out. I hunted the property and saw 4 dogs and no deer. The next day I hunted a different area of the same property saw the same four dogs and no deer.

I called the neighbor, the dogs owner and told him to keep the dogs out of the timber. The next day I killed a nice 11 point buck and the dogs were leashed up. So you can spew all you want that dogs don't mess up the deer hunting. But I know for a fact it does and like I said on more than just a couple of instances I have personal experiences with dogs and deer. They will mess up your deer hunting and that is fact.

I have seen dogs run deer and you sure aren't going to kill a good buck when dogs are running deer. Keep the dogs out of where they are not supposed to be and everything is good. If you don't have a legal place to run the dogs, you should rethink, of why you even have them.

we are not talking about dogs chasing deer, coyote and coon chasing. If you killed a buck the next day it must not have screwed much up. This topic could be like the song that never ends. It's not just about if dogs screw the hunting up its also land owners rights. I do not hunt during deer season, I don't walk on the land or drive on the land. If you don't want my dogs on your land I try to prevent it but sometimes it's impossible creeks, fences, snow is to deep, lost ware the dogs are, so many things are against you. Like I said I'm a landowner and have yote dogs so I see both sides. We have hunted the last two days 11 dead coyotes and not once did the dogs or us get on non permission property.

Two days of wasted hunts. I'D call that significant. You can only assume there are no repercussions from your dogs running in the timber. No dogs running the timber is 100% they wont bugger the timber.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:21 pm

Went and got my cams today, and got a pic of the trasspassing coyote hunters dog.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”