moving

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter

moving

Unread postby bowhunter » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:10 pm

So a couple weeks back i found this spot on the land I'm hunting which i thought was very good. It is down in a holler with one steep ridge about 35 yards away. I have a 15 acre lake to my back and a creek that runs into the lake to my left. My landlord says she sees deer cross the creek/shallow spot of the lake there all the time. I have hunted this location numerous times and have fail to see deer the only thing keeping me from moving the stand is the amount of heavily worn trails right in front of my stand and the fact that my landlord always sees deer there. What are yalls opinions on leaving or staying.

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: moving

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:20 pm

If your landlord "sees them all the time" and you don't see anything after "numerous" sits something is wrong with your set up or access that is tipping the deer off to the fact that you are there.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:27 pm

Have you put any trail cams at the spot where the deer are supposedly crossing all the time? If not, try it out...see what pops up!
The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...
bowhunter

Unread postby bowhunter » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:41 pm

Horizontal Hunter wrote:If your landlord "sees them all the time" and you don't see anything after "numerous" sits something is wrong with your set up or access that is tipping the deer off to the fact that you are there.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

This was my thought exactly! I do have to walk through the woods quite a bit and in the dark it can be hard to do so quietly and without smell no matter how much scent killer you use. I am thinking about starting to come in with a canoe from the lake do you think this would be more effective? I would certainly think so.
bowhunter

Unread postby bowhunter » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:44 pm

whitetail4ever wrote:Have you put any trail cams at the spot where the deer are supposedly crossing all the time? If not, try it out...see what pops up!

The thought has crossed my mind I've just never really had any luck with getting pictures no matter where without the use of corn and to me it kind of takes the sport out of it putting corn in front of my stand. What kind of trail cameras do you use? I just bought cheap ones from walmart and that could be most of my problem
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:50 pm

Sounds like your wind might be swirling down low alerting any deer of your presence. You might have to wait for the absolute best conditions to hunt it.

If its a cheap camera, you're probably missing a lot of deer. A lot of us made the mistake of buying a cheap camera at first. I'd pick up a covert or Bushnell and you'll probably have better results. Amazon has a real good Bushnell trophy cam right now for $99 shipped. Personally, I'd get a good camera, let it run there for a month and when you get a lot of deer, check what the wind was that day and see if its a wind that is hunt able for you.
ERICBROOKS

Unread postby ERICBROOKS » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:03 pm

Getting in with a canoe is a great idea.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”