Setup Process

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Setup Process

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:56 am

This coming year I'm thinking Place a ez hang hook and 3 cheap climbing stick sections cut limbs if I must . The day I go in I take 2 lone wolf sticks and my assault on my back to add to the 3 cheap sticks already placed. Cutting down on setup time and weight. If. 3 sticks are taken they cost very little and I know someone is using the area . Sometimes I go all mobile but I do like cutting down on weight and bulky gear .whats your opinion of this? And how do you setup.
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:47 am, edited 9 times in total.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: When to prepare for bow season.

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:08 am

I find its 365 days a year. Maybe not continuous, but it is neverending. For me a lot depends on family allowances.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:13 am

Yes I don't mean for scouting purposes but to preset a area on public land.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:24 am

Still 365. I personally don't like stepping anywhere near stand locations in July 1 - Opener unless its a new piece and I'm trying to dial down a core area with the cameras. If its inventory, the cameras are closer to food, scrapes, or funnels.
Wlog
500 Club

Re: Setup Process

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:09 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:This coming year I'm thinking Place a ez hang hook and 3 cheap climbing stick sections cut limbs if I must . The day I go in I take 2 lone wolf sticks and my assault on my back to add to the 3 cheap sticks already placed. Cutting down on setup time and weight. If. 3 sticks are taken they cost very little and I know someone is using the area . Sometimes I go all mobile but I do like cutting down on weight and bulky gear .whats your opinion of this? And how do you setup.

What if the spots you pick don't pan out? Most of the public around me don't allow any parts of stands to be left.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:36 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:This coming year I'm thinking Place a ez hang hook and 3 cheap climbing stick sections cut limbs if I must . The day I go in I take 2 lone wolf sticks and my assault on my back to add to the 3 cheap sticks already placed. Cutting down on setup time and weight.

I used to do this years ago when I used screw in tree steps. Worked pretty good. Saved a lot of time. I would take out the bottom 3-4 steps when I set it up and that wasn't a big deal when I came back to hunt there. Tree steps are kind of hard to see though. Seems like the stick would stick out to someone from a distance.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:00 am

Tenn3 if you take the offseason to learn the 1 stick method it keeps weight WAY down. It involves rock climbing harness and is slow up and slow down but effective. So many guys look at harness' as a headache or extra junk but once it is used for every hunt it becomes a valuable tool.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:14 am

I have never heard of the. 1 stick setup. I agree at times I might need to move them however I never know till after I sit a stand. I have. 40 ameristep sticks the areas I hunt are usually very thick figured I would put them to use. We're not allowed tree steps screwed into the tree.

trybowfishin

Unread postby trybowfishin » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:29 am

around here on public land we are not allowed to cut any trees, so we cannot create shooting lanes... also I would worry about squirrels chewing on the straps that hold the sticks, that would be unsafe leaving up all year... we cannot use the screw in tree steps either...
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:43 am

Squirrels chewing straps??. By cut I mean push a tree branch high or low or into another tree so I have enough room for a bow shot.
Not like go cut the woods down type of thing the loggers do enough of that as it is.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:37 am

Couple issues...

1) I am always moving... Different stand each day. very few spots get two or more sits.

2) Depending how summer scouting, and fall hunting go, and what Im after, I may never make it back to a spot I had intended to hunt when I set it up.

3) In a lot of spots based on the exact wind, or the exact sign I find the day I set up, I might or might not be in a different tree. Some spots also I can get to a certain tree in early season, or when its rainy or windy, but come wide open late season or quiet conditions and I am much farther back.

4) I don't feel much difference carrying a stand and one stick, and a stand with 4 sticks to warrant this...

5) Very often I don't hunt the spot I intended to go to... I find hot sign on my way in and set up... Can't do that when 1/2 my set up is in a different area.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:11 am

True thanks Dan

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”