broadheads

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter

broadheads

Unread postby bowhunter » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:42 pm

I am currently shooting a Hoyt Charger its a really good bow for the price. I have bought some rage 2.3 inch mechanical broad heads simply cause i had a gift card to the store and it was all they had. My bow is at 60 pounds so it is shooting at about 315 fps does anyone know if these broad heads are simply to big for the fps. I have shot deer in the shoulder with this bow before with a much smaller broad head and the arrow didn't pierce the shoulder which resoled in the deer not dying. So I've found that no matter what broad head i shoot if i hit a deer in the shoulder its not going to be lethal. My theory is if i hit a deer in the shoulder no matter what its not dying so i figure i might as well aim for the double lung shot and have the biggest hole possible. Any thoughts maybe from someone with a little more experience than me.

HoosierG5
500 Club

Re: broadheads

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:55 pm

Id be more worried about your kinetic energy and arrow placement than anything else. You can shoot 315 fps all day long but if you cant hit a heart size target you will struggle to kill deer. Shot angle, deer position, etc...lots of variables here. In short Id shoot whatever I could place exactly where I needed them to be out to my farthest range. For me, its a 70lb prime centroid with victory vforce 350s tipped with 100 grain G5 T3s. Also, I always shy away from the shoulder-always. I error on the liver side if any... I go straight up the front leg to the crease and always wait for the front leg foward to expose the boiler room better.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:29 pm

If you're truly shooting 315 fps with your setup you must be shooting a very light setup arrow. I was told by an old timer to setup your rig for the worst sinerio, not the perfect sinerio. I shoot a heavy arrow, and if I hit anything in the shoulder outside the nuckle I expect to go through. What's the total weight of your arrow setup?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:55 pm

I think your bow shoots 315 fps ibo no tip on the arrow or fletchings, you will find amo with broadhead correct splined arrow and weight it won't be near that. More like high 280s maybe. Also you hit a mature buck in shoulder, you aren't busting through like most will think. Many of us have had bad hits square shoulder, not getting the deer. Limited penetration resulting in almost full length arrow snapped off :lol: I personally don't like the huge open on impact broadheads, I like smaller heads like nap spitfires, original grim reapers, or cabelas laser 2s. They fly great and not as much lost energy on impact. But honestly if hit in the correct locations Walmart broadheads will knock me down.

Tapeworm

Unread postby Tapeworm » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:18 pm

Saw a test at 60# / 30 in. / 385 gr.
Speed was 287fps & kinetic energy was 70.5

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:03 pm

Agree with others, not very likely your hunting set-up is actually hitting 315. It really comes down to your kinetic energy, not the speed. Shoulder shots, especially on mature deer are never a good plan, but the right set-up can give you a better chance. By right set-up I generally mean high KE. I pull 72 pounds with a 31.5" draw length and pretty heavy arrows and 125 grain heads. I've put a Rage 125 grain through a shoulder blade (not necessarily intentionally) but know many others who have had them stop. Hitting the shoulder joint itself is never good news. If your current set-up with a smaller broadhead didn't push through a shoulder blade, then it won't put the 2.3" Rages through either.

If you're using lighter arrows it may be best to stick to a fixed blade head depending on your KE. My personal opinion is there is a break point in KE where a good expandable isn't much of an issue compared to a fixed blade head, but I'm just not sure exactly what that number is. Personal experience on several mature bucks tells me my set-up is over that threshold, but I'm getting around 80 ft-lbs of energy depending upon what my exact hunting set-up chronos at. I have also never tried the 2.3" Rages, the 2" have worked very well for me and seem like a good middle ground for my set-up. I've shot 5 bucks with them now (4 of them 3.5+) and all died within 50 yards of where they were standing. I think any broadhead would have killed all of those deer, but I do think a couple died quicker because of the larger cut for what it's worth.
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:39 pm

Agree with others on your speed Im shooting a carbon spyder turbo at 71lbs throwing a 414gr arrow at 312 with a 29.5" draw and I shy away from huge expandables on marginal shots where theres soft tissue there great but on good shots where theres bone (ribs,shoulders ect) there not great drop back to an inch and a half broadhead you will be happier but I disagree with others on the fact that you need a heavy arrow that was true when bows where slower a long long time ago but the kinetic energy gained is nil you will likely gain some momentum but it will be minimal but what you will lose with a heavy arrow IMO is the one thing you need to be worried about SHOT PLACEMENT heavy arrows drop more so your known yardage of the target has to be more exact and when it comes to shooting through thicker timber and small shooting lanes a flatter arrow will prevail. That being said you want middle of the road for weigh I can shoot arrows from 7.8gpi up to 12+ and i shoot arrows weighing 9.1gpi hope this helps.

Earn what’s never given.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”