first marsh scout!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

first marsh scout!

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:02 am

So in had an hour or so to take a walk...

Found a small road not marked as public access...I had a hunch I'd find a small parking lot at the end and sure enough there was...game on!

I hiked down to the edge of the marsh..

Its different..they logged a fair bit of the woods..but still a fair amount hard woods..and some pine clusters here n there..

The edge doesn't have a red brush buffer...its weird..cat tail clusters...rednbrush clusters..

Had a pretty decent bit of sign in the woods 20-40 yards off the edge of the marsh..

Got to a kind of "marsh finger". Wet..thicker brush/red brush etc..not real wide..30-60yds..but 200yds long or better...

It was loaded with sign...hard woods on both sides..

I came across 3 bedding areas...beds in snow...only one had buck rubs..but uncounted at least 7-8 different beds...hard to tell but they almost looked like maybe different days of use..some were clearly used more recent than others...I couldn't get a feel for track size..we got snow last night and its deep enough theirnlegs make a bigger impression in the snow..

The other 2 I found both had 2 beds..no rubs..and looked different...not sure if it was buck or doe...

All 3 were on the edge of that " marsh finger"

I did cut a few tracks that were clearly big tracks...on I swear looked like pony tracks...again hard to say for sure between the crusty snow and muck and ice and all that...

Tried following the bigger sets of tracks when I found them and never could follow them long...got mixed in with major trails and just lost them..

Only found 1 tree stand and I'd say he's a rifle hunter...big ladder stand with a shooting rail and its high..20-25ft...

Interstingly enough I was never super far from the parking lot...the beds and best sign were 550yds or so from the truck...

This is my 3rd scouting trip up here in new territory...my first in a marsh...

I told you guys I'm determined to get on better deer...do my homework...get into new ground...

I feel like I'm heading in the right direction...I'm absolutely confidential could hunt the edge of my marsh finger during the rut and smoke some kinda buck..

Still got a lot of learning...I still haven't figured out much...but I'm out there...logging everything I come across... Heavy trails. Other stands..beds..rub lines..good oak trees in the middle of nothing else around...

This is what its all about...the HUNT isn't the day you're out there with a bow or gun...the hunt is now..start collecting the puzzle pieces...start putting the puzzle together...then go in and kill the beast...

I might take my camera down at home and put it on the edge of the marsh finger and see what I can get on camera...getting late and close to horn drop...but there's enough sign there I think its worthwhile...and I can still look at a pic and say that's a mature buck without antlers...

Leave it on the trail a few weeks and go get it...

Right now its on a bait pile at home and will have been there 10 days or so...I probably have pics of everything I'm gunna get pics of...

I don't plan on hunting home nearly as hard next year anyways...I rather get pics of these marsh deer I plan to hunt...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: first marsh scout!

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:20 am

Sounds like you found a nice buck bedding area. Great job .

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:47 am

It seems your on the right track to killing a big one this upcoming season.I'm right there with ya..every chance I get I'm doing something that's gonna help me with the upcoming season..whether its scouting,shooting,on here learning,etc. I'm already giddy for next season to get here and see what all my hard work and determination brings...even if the beast isn't harvested..a bad day in the woods beats a good day at work

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:12 am

Watched the marsh video for about the 100th time...

I think I am on the right track but gotta do some more looking...I am not convinced what I found was buck bedding...I think it was does..

I think I need to try to get out IN the marsh..

The marsh is different...its got cattails but not like the big expanses some of you guys hunt..

I got to thinking and I think the big tracks were going to a bean field and logged area to browse...I'd loose them but when I'd follow them they were coming/going in the direction of the marsh..not milling around like the other tracks...

Next time I will focus more on the edge and try cutting tracks coming in/out of the marsh...

Maybe they do bed on the mainland thickets...scouting more will tell the story..

Didn't realize it but the area I was in has houses on the other side...could mean unwanted guests hunting that area...or keeps others from gaining access...not an easy place to get into...only found the one stand and no tacks or ribbons etc..

Big marsh...gunna keep looking...

Took my camera down so I can take it with me and get it hung up there somewhere next time..

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”