do you have prior knowledge?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

do you have prior knowledge?

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:45 am

Do you guys usually kill bucks you know are there? From trail cam pics or scouting, shinning, glassing etc?

Or do you hunt a spot figuring there is a good buck using that area based on tracks and whatever else?

If you don't have prior knowledge of your bucks..how many times do you hunt and see smaller bucks than expected and not the big one you thought was there?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Jphunter
500 Club

Re: do you have prior knowledge?

Unread postby Jphunter » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:29 am

We cant shine where I live and we don't have a lot of ag fields to really glass in the evenings like I hear people talking about. I have killed a few bucks that I knew were there from game cam pics or maybe a deer that I saw on a previous hunt, bust most of the time I am hunting there because I think there is a good buck there based off of big rubs or tracks. I see the smaller deer most of the time for sure and I really need to get a better inventory of the areas I hunt, but I also like the suspense of setting up to hunt what I think is a good buck not knowing exactly how big he is.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:26 am

Some areas I hunt I know the bucks named many of them. But in areas I don't if I see a single deer it's usually a nice one. I do see small bucks occasionally. It seems I never see a doe anymore.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:38 am

mauser06 wrote:Do you guys usually kill bucks you know are there? From trail cam pics or scouting, shinning, glassing etc?

Or do you hunt a spot figuring there is a good buck using that area based on tracks and whatever else?

If you don't have prior knowledge of your bucks..how many times do you hunt and see smaller bucks than expected and not the big one you thought was there?

For me I do both. Bucks will use multiple beds. If you have a couple mature bucks on the area your hunting it can alter your odds of killing a "target buck". Many guys here have target bucks and have passed multiple different bucks that come from the bed they are hunting waiting for a specific one. Kind of defines the term "holding out" and "target buck" to me. That being said, I don't pass any mature buck that comes by me! Sometimes due to many factors, I don't lay eyes on every buck I'm after. Some of those factors that make it hard for me to do this are rut(buck dispersal), etc. I also don't run cameras like I used to. So I rely on sign and any visuals I can get during spring scouting or in season. The rut also brings new deer and also ones you chase leave. Any buck that passes my stand that fits my criteria for what I'm happy with usually receives an arrow :lol:

iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:27 am

I was aware of all them except 3.

ERICBROOKS

Unread postby ERICBROOKS » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:41 pm

Private land I run cameras on salt licks just to take inventory. Public I just hunt

purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:00 pm

My three largest I had prior knowledge of which gave me info to use against him, all these were on private. Even knowing where a good buck lives virgin sits are most effective, all three were on the first time in the spot.

JohnnieU

Unread postby JohnnieU » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:04 pm

Always had prior knowledge of any buck in Wisconsin, which is where I live and spend most of my time. The only exception was an out of state hunt, but that is why I traveled there to hunt, I knew the area held big bucks so I didn't need to identify a specific target back.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:02 pm

Probably 50/50 for me, I'd have to take a count.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”