Late Season Tactics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DropTyne
500 Club

Late Season Tactics

Unread postby DropTyne » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:25 am

I know it's early to talk about this but I was wondering how everyone hunts after the rut is done and the bucks are back to bed/feed...... Same as early season? Are they more apt to show up during daylight because of the limited food resources and harsh conditions?

DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Late Season Tactics

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:38 am

Late season can be easier than early season... A lot of the cover that could hold deer earlier in the years is gone or covered with snow. Deer get on some pretty solid patterns that are easy to intercept. When there is snow on the ground it gets really simple to circle known buck bedding areas from a distance and see if there is big buck tracks going in but not coming out.... The down side is the shorter days, holiday interference, the cold, lack of cover, and burnt out hunter syndrome.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:42 am

This year if I don't fill my tag, I plan on giving the late season a go :D I have never hunted in the late season so I'm pretty interested on what people do for late season tactics.
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:56 am

where i hunt..i plant food plots of brassicas and soybeans and corn fields which i leave standing so the deer winter in my area..for me id rather hunt the late season in the snow cold weather than the rut..because when its cold outside the deer have to move to eat and stay warm and that always seems to get those big bucks on my food plots during daylight hours...pretty easy to pattern them during late season
Hill Hunter

Unread postby Hill Hunter » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:06 am

Late season is probably my favorite time to hunt if I can get on a good food source...it's cold, and colder the better, but worth every shivering minute!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:55 am

bump
Monster Raxx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tom.lester#!/pr ... 0779026926

Unread postby Monster Raxx » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:42 am

[glow=red]FOOD[/glow] if you can find their prefered food source during late season it then just comes down to the same thing all season...time spent and right place right time.
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:04 am

Late season is probably my favorite time of the year to hunt. The mature bucks around here are on red alert after a long gun season, but once they arent interested in the does I go back to hunting bedding areas. I try to get as close as I can without getting busted. A lot of the time the deer will not hit the feed fields until dark or shortly after. It seems that preferred bedding areas stay very consistent this time of year because they have adapted to the hunting pressure and feel safe where they have been holed up for the past few weeks. I have had better luck hunting preferred water sources than I have preferred food sources. It seems I can usually count on seeing deer mid days at secluded water areas
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:13 am

This will be my first season hunting late season. Can't wait to hunt again in another week. Hoping for some good action.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:54 am

I have found that does are very easy to kill late season but bucks are now extremely nocturnal. Backtrack them from the fields to their beds and get in close. Early season tactics for the most part.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:58 am

Waiting for the right day can really help you in late season too... Deep snow, and/or ice covering the food, combined with very cold days will get the bucks to come out early.
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:24 am

Cold weather seems to be avoiding us. I get annoyed by local weather reports and everyone is so happy to have 50's in December, and all I do is get frustrated. Hey there are some people left who like the seasons of old. It can't be cold enough for me. The couple of deer I shot during late bow, the temps were down right frigid.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:27 am

I agree Chasman. I am hoping for a serious cold snap one of these weekends. I love hunting when its nasty cold out.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:36 am

Here in OK we rarely get snow in season, and when we do we're lucky if it lasts more than a day. I've always wanted to get a nice buck late season, but so far never have connected. 50 degree weather is pretty common for us- heck it's supposed to be 76 today! :cry:

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:38 am

Dan, you mentioned looking for tracks going into a bedding area and not coming out. when you see this, where are you setting up on this buck? are you saying buy seeing the tracks you know he is currently in the bed, and then you set up in a pre determined tree you found while scouting?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”