Water hole bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Water hole bucks

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:25 am

With this weekend being very warm I was wondering if water holes would be a good setup. I think what im going to do is try to set up on a known bed thats about 100 yards from the water. The bed is up high and the pond down low. I need to have a Southwest wind for it to work but I think thats what we are going to get tonight.

Has anyone had a buck kill over a water hole this time of year? Im wondering if they would get to the pond before dark? Thanks guys.

Hill Hunter

Re: Water hole bucks

Unread postby Hill Hunter » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:46 am

The only buck I killed over a water hole was during the opening weekend of the season a couple years back. I sat a water hole last wednesday and heard two heavy antlered bucks fighting near quitting time, about 60 yards north of me & the pond. While the sun was up, I seen several deer feeding on acorns near where the fight sounded to be coming from later in the sit. With the dry conditions we've had near my hunting area, water holes should be great and setting up between the water and known buck bedding area should be key. Had I done the same, I would have at least had a look at the bucks, rather than just hearing them. Don't think they are straying too far from the bed during daylight right now. Sounds like you have a good plan. Good luck!
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:51 am

Thanks Hill Hunter...yea last year I set up on this same water hole in warm conditions but I set up right on top of the pond. About 30 mins before dark I heard two different bucks grunting at eachother from that bedding area i want to hunt tonight but that was too far away from me and they stayed in that area until it was about 5 mins after shooting light, they came downwind of me and snorted off.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:03 am

Not sure exactly where you are, BBH but anytime that temp goes much above the average temp for the year, I think the water holes get hit. That is if it's in limited supply in the area, your hunting. I'm not expecting too much action during our youth hunts this weekend, they are predicting mid 80's for highs. :evil:. But will give it a shot anyway. I don't have any water holes, next to bedding, where I'll be hunting, or you could bet I'd be set up on one if possible.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:45 am

If the water is within 100 yards of the bedding, and you have not over hunted that spot. I would expect daylight visitors. However, you said the water hole is below the bedding area. Sounds to me like a thermal breeze may carry your scent to the bedding area. Sometimes the wind will hit you good enough to blow the scent downhill on the smaller hills, but if it calms down for a moment the thermal may temporarily take over and suck your scent up to the bed.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:53 am

They are talking about 84 degrees for a high temp in my area. I think you have the right plan. Water hole is the place I would be if I had the chance to hunt today.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”