Who does their own antler mounts?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Who does their own antler mounts?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:58 pm

Last year I sawed off the skulls and learned how to do antlers mounts so I could put them on the wall with my other mounts. I was just playing with wood and leather colors, and I just started my 2 most recent ones. Which colors do you guys use or pay to have done? I really have only seen a handful of mounts from others, so I don't have much to compare to. I'm not much of an artist so I don't even know what stuff goes together and what doesn't.

The top one isn't done, just need to be attached and add rope.

Crazinamatese

Re: Who does their own antler mounts?

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:11 pm

Those mounts look very nice. I had this one done by a taxidermist. I decided dark leather on a stained oak plaque would give it more of an old school look which I like.

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:15 pm

Those are really nice looking! I've hacked through a couple, but have taken to euros for anything that isn't a full head mount.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:24 pm

I do all of mine and lots for others. All different colors. Black, grey, brown, buckskin, red. Buckskin and dark brown are the most popular. I will put up a tutorial sometime.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:40 pm

I did this one for my Dad awhile back. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

When I get some spare time I want to do redo a bunch of my old antler plaques the same way.

johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Thanks guys
I learned a lot on the bottom 2 I did last year, and the top one I just did. The leathers are drastically different to work with, in terms of stretching. I think that can be the hardest part. I liked the dark one most, but it was the hardest to deal with. I got better at blending the putty to the form this time, and learned to go faster.

Cut antler plate to small size
Boil and clean then bleach
Mount to foam forms or make your own from scratch using foam insulation
Drywall putty in stages while sanding to match curves on form
Cover in leather and staple back sides
Mount to wood plaque
Add rope to edges and antler bases

My local taxidermist that did a couple shoulders for me wanted $210 for one and his looked just "ok". I have about $30 into each of these, and I like the thought of knowing I did them myself.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:41 pm

Dewey wrote:I did this one for my Dad awhile back. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

When I get some spare time I want to do redo a bunch of my old antler plaques the same way.

Looks good Dewey. That wood plaque is very nice, color is perfect too.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:46 pm

Kraftd wrote:Those are really nice looking! I've hacked through a couple, but have taken to euros for anything that isn't a full head mount.

So far Ive got 3 shoulder and 5 antler mounts at home. They all go in the front room of the house, my wife is generous....lol. She doesnt like the euros so I sawed them off and made these. The euros look have a "tough" look (which I like), but these seemed to fit better so I got out the hacksaw.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:27 pm

Looks good to me.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
tcop7
500 Club

Unread postby tcop7 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:01 pm

I have never done my own but have a few racks laying around that I would like to try to do one day.

Dewey the mount you did is awesome!
[glow=green]Experience Is What You Get When You Didn't Get What You Wanted![/glow]

[glow=blue]McLaughlin Athletic Center[/glow]
[glow=blue]Northwest Ohio's Youth Sports Complex![/glow]
[dropshadow=blue]Visit us at --->[/dropshadow]http://www.macgymohio.com/ [dropshadow=blue]<---[/dropshadow]
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:53 pm

johndeere506 wrote:
Kraftd wrote:Those are really nice looking! I've hacked through a couple, but have taken to euros for anything that isn't a full head mount.

So far Ive got 3 shoulder and 5 antler mounts at home. They all go in the front room of the house, my wife is generous....lol. She doesnt like the euros so I sawed them off and made these. The euros look have a "tough" look (which I like), but these seemed to fit better so I got out the hacksaw.

Most of mine end up in my work office, but Pottery Barn started selling fake euros this year, so I got one in our livning room and saved the wife $125!
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:55 pm

Dewey wrote:I did this one for my Dad awhile back. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

That is a great antler plaque! Did you buy the leather with like that or do that yourself? Very cool either way.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:57 am

I do all of mine that I don't shoulder mount. But you guys put a little more into it than I do :mrgreen: I've never used leather. I always have used black velvet to wrap to skull base left on. I make my own plaques, just an oval cut and stained. I'm doing 5 sets of antlers now. I must say the leather looks good. You guys do a great job. My wife doesn't like euros either, so I wrap em or mount them.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:13 am

I usually do euros on mine that don't get shoulder mounted. I don't think I"m crafty enough to make mine look that good... My euros that I've done probably don't look as nice as those..:)

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:32 am

Great euro!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”