Bedding with wind changes discussion

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Thermals
500 Club

Bedding with wind changes discussion

Unread postby Thermals » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:14 am

So here I have noticed the just before sunrise if there is no wind present as the sun comes up it creates a east wind (heat from the sun) but after anywhere from a half hour to a few hours it will switch back to the predicted for the day. Do thing a buck will bed with that wind and hang tight for the day or move after the switch. I have not sen this for myself, and I wonder how much this plays a part when setting up on a bed for an evening hunt.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

mauser06
500 Club

Re: Bedding with wind changes discussion

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:29 am

Interesting....pretty rare for us not to have some kind of wind here...

I've noticed sometimes they "get lazy" and don't change beds with the wind change...or move during daylight...both make them vulnerable...

I've seen some only have to move a few yards to the other side of the point to get a better wind...

Depends on the circumstances I guess..

I started paying ming to thermals last season...utterly amazing...I had a good buck coming to a scrape regularly... A few times a day in the daylight..

He busted me 2 mornings in a row and an evening due to thermals! Mornings he came RIGHT as it switched...same with the evening...it was impressive...I learned more from that than i would have from killing him right away....almost like he knew when they'd switch...I was setup downwind thinking he'd circle to get down wind of his scrapes and had him blocked by a wide open gas line...but he waited for the thermals and came in above the scrapes..

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Thermals
500 Club

Re: Bedding with wind changes discussion

Unread postby Thermals » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:20 pm

Yeah and are early season really most of the time there is not much wind at all which keeps me from hunting.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”