Interstate/highway median

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Master Chief

Interstate/highway median

Unread postby Master Chief » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:57 pm

Today I scouted somewhere a little unusual. I have found a shed antler laying 10 yards from an interstate before but never thought to get in the median-which in most places you can't. I knew of a median that happened to be public land and it is a good 100 yards wide. I didn't scout all of it, but I did find some trails and old rubs.

Has anyone ever hunted a median before? The only thing that made me feel unsure about it was pushing deer onto the interstate.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

mihunter101

Re: Interstate/highway median

Unread postby mihunter101 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:18 pm

Even if you could legally hunt it, I think it's a bad idea. As you mentioned, what happens if you shoot a deer and it runs into traffic and causes an accident?
Let's go Brandon!
tcop7
500 Club

Unread postby tcop7 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:28 pm

That just sounds like an accident waiting to happen if you ask me. Are you sure it's legal to hunt in that spot? I wouldn't think they would allow hunting there for that reason.

[glow=green]Experience Is What You Get When You Didn't Get What You Wanted![/glow]

[glow=blue]McLaughlin Athletic Center[/glow]
[glow=blue]Northwest Ohio's Youth Sports Complex![/glow]
[dropshadow=blue]Visit us at --->[/dropshadow]http://www.macgymohio.com/ [dropshadow=blue]<---[/dropshadow]
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:36 am

THP told a couple locals guys the median as well as the shoulders of the interstates up to the state fence hunting wasn't allowed.

Warning ticket for where they had their truck parked

[ Post made via Android ] Image
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:19 am

illegal in wisconsin but that doesn't keep me from wondering what kind of deer may be hanging out in some of those places
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:59 am

I know there is a strip of woods in the median of 151 between Sun Prairie and Columbus where I have seen some big boys. Great looking spot for deer, is a deer hit magnet being it's right in the middle of a busy area.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:49 am

An even better choice that won't get anyone in trouble is where a creek, stream or river crosses the Interstate and goes underneath. The deer naturally follow waterways and will cross from a side with high pressure to the other side by literally crossing underneath. They will also cross for does and better food sources. I have a friend that on opening day of gun season shot a good buck crossing through the tunnel underneath the Interstate when it popped out on the other side for quite a few years in a row. Another hunter figured it out and cut him off... then he cut that guy off... oh boy.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:54 am

151 between Sun Prairie and Columbus where I have seen some big boys. Yup sure is a Hot Spot during parts of the year.

I also wouldn't think it would be that safe if a deer would run out onto HW after being shot.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:59 pm

I sat a tree that put me eye level with traffic and 30 ft north. Good observations but didn't connect. Definitely an overlooked spot!

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:43 pm

I have hunted a few spots close to interstate highways and found it wasn't a very relaxing hunt with all of the road noise. Might be a good place for big bucks but it's not for me. You guys can have those spots.

fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:46 pm

Beauford wrote:151 between Sun Prairie and Columbus where I have seen some big boys. Yup sure is a Hot Spot during parts of the year.

I also wouldn't think it would be that safe if a deer would run out onto HW after being shot.

Guess I wasnt suggesting to hunt there. Just that I have observed deer using a spot like this.

davglo35

Unread postby davglo35 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:57 pm

I used to be an Inspector for the Arkansas highway dept. Just entering these median wood lots and thickets can push deer out and into traffic. Ive seen contractors jump deer from patches of brush that were smaller than a hotel swimming pool. These areas are used as sancturaies by bucks and does alike. The big bucks may hunker down and hide but the does and young will flee if you get close.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”