can he survive?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

can he survive?

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:38 am

so i spotted the big buck bedded and posted "bedded with does" a week or 2 ago...

yesterday my buddies were out flintlock hunting...

they jumped him from the same spot he was when i spotted him...one buddy missed...he took the same route out of there...runs a couple hundred yards and is running down the path my buddy was sitting on...he stops 15yds away...he fires...

that was about 2pm...

they find blood and find a small tree "painted red" so they took after him...

3 and a half hours later and over 2 miles later they were STILL chasing him...they jumped him from a couple beds..says he seems to run fine..jumps over the biggest tree tops laying around...

they said he bled a little bit in the beds..a half cup or so..nothing great...only bled when he was walking...dime sized drop every 5-10yds...said its good clean red blood..sounded like muscle blood to me..

he was 2 miles or so from "home" and starting to circle back...

this morning they took back after him...cant carry a gun here on Sundays..but figured he would be dead or will be fine but they wanna make sure...

they tracked him another mile and a half or so...said they never found anymore beds but without snow in many areas and the wound drying up itd be hard to say that with certainty...

now they said today they found some "green stuff" which just makes me sick...

a bit later they said they jumped him again and one buddy got a good look at him and said it looked like a long flesh wound..

im not sure of the shot angle..i am thinking hard quartering towards him or facing him..they said if it kept going on that trail it would have ran him over but he shot because it stopped and was close...

he has circled almost completely home...he is maybe 400yds from home and when last jumped was heading home...

was shot with a 50cal lead round ball...which can do some funny things and why i got away from shooting them...

up until they said they found green stuff i figured it was a flesh wound and he'd be fine...now knowing they found gut matter i doubt he can survive...but he made it 4-5 miles and 24hrs....

what do y'all think??? i am sick and i have nothing to do with it...i glassed him for 5 minutes and said he was 130" give or take 5-10"...they SWEAR he is in the 160s and we will probably never see or kill a buck bigger in the area...its gotta be the same buck...we dont have hardly ANY bucks over 115"...either way...just sickening...

im thinking maybe the ball grazed it and then eventually punched a hole into the guts...hard quartering shot..ball rips through muscle and hide along the shoulder/ribs and enters behind the rib cage...balls are notorious for such..

i tell them EVERY year when in doubt head home and give them time...they wont listen...they wont learn...

the 400yds or so before he gets "home" is about the nastiest creek bottom you can imagine...talking multiflora rose 8-12+ft high in some areas...redbrush and multiflora rose in others...its NASTY....

i dont have much gut shot experience...can they go that far and that long and still die???

the whole thing makes me sick...i dont think the guy that shot him has ever fired a flintlock...had no business being in the woods with a flintlock...then they push him ALL day...

now he heads to the nastiest stuff around..they find gut matter and they leave him...i dont know if they left him to come back later or left him thinking he will be fine because the one guy said it looks like a big flesh wound..been my experience that gut hit deer always die...theyd be better off pushing him OUT of that nasty block today THEN leaving him to come back to tomorrow IMO...i aint there and ive learned that when it comes to this stuff that you can lead a horse to water but cant make em drink...

just frustrating to know he is out there wounded...

U.P. bownut
500 Club

Re: can he survive?

Unread postby U.P. bownut » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:47 am

mauser06 wrote:up until they said they found green stuff

Man it don't sound good. Maybe give it some time and head out and look for some big fresh tracks and/or crows.
"Freedom Isn't Free"
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:50 am

U.P. bownut wrote:
mauser06 wrote:up until they said they found green stuff

Man it don't sound good. Maybe give it some time and head out and look for some big fresh tracks and/or crows.

I would look in that thickest area an near the nearest water source.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:53 am

With a round ball they can go a long ways on a bad hit. I would say it is like shooting a deer with a field point arrow. So yea it still might be fatal. One of the first years my brothers and I muzzleloaded we hit a small buck in the shoulder with a round ball and had to trail him about 4 miles over the course of 2 days, he was almost dead when we finally found him. It deflected on a shoulder bone and never entered the chest. You were smart switching to ball-ets.

If it was a flesh wound...maybe he will live, if it is a gut wound he will die without a doubt. Just my opinion but anymore if I shot round ball I would only take perfect broadside shots. Regardless I hope you guys end up finding him. Did he circle all the way back to his core area?
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:19 am

The green stuff sounds like gut matter for sure...and i agree...that means he's gunna die sooner or later...

He circled 4-5 miles and is in his core..he's maybe 400yds from where he's been bedding lately...so I'd say he is home..

I went to the Ball-ets a while ago...I piled up a few with round balls but they didn't exit...and I've had them hit bone and do were things like I think happened here...

What snow we had is nearly gone...and he's in the nastiest stuff in the county...

Gunna be hard to find him at this point...they will probably give up before I do and I have nothing to do with the hunt...

My heart sank when they said they found green stuff...up till that point I believed it was survivable....now I don't believe so...and with the weather and ground conditions and where he is at...its gunna be tough to recover him at all...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
tcop7
500 Club

Unread postby tcop7 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:59 am

I agree that finding the green stuff doesn't sound good, if I had to guess, I would say he will die eventually. I would have backed out after kicking him up at the first bed and just came back the next day. The further they push him the harder it will be to find him IMO. Hope he makes it for ya next year man, keep us posted.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=green]Experience Is What You Get When You Didn't Get What You Wanted![/glow]

[glow=blue]McLaughlin Athletic Center[/glow]
[glow=blue]Northwest Ohio's Youth Sports Complex![/glow]
[dropshadow=blue]Visit us at --->[/dropshadow]http://www.macgymohio.com/ [dropshadow=blue]<---[/dropshadow]
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:18 am

If the "green stuff" is stomach/intestine contents he will die. Sepsis will set in as the contents of the digestive system, and bacteria, leaks into the cavity and the cavity becomes infected.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:25 am

I will keep y'all posted..I was getting 3rd hand info today...my one buddy had to work..they were texting him..he was texting me lol..not sure what their plan is...almost sounds like they are done since "it looked like a big flesh wound and he was running fine".

I wonder how long he will hold his antlers...I've seen them drop them in a quick hurry when wounded like this...I was surprised he had them today actually...

I am dying not having been there...I wouldn't been able to change much...but I would have seen the sign first hand and know what we're dealing with...

I told my buddy to get his camera and get it hung in the patch of woods he's been bedding in and bait it up heavy and see if we can get pics of him..long shot..but might work...hurt deer like an easy meal...and he circled back " home" and is nearly there...

Its so thick where he's at now we will literally have to trip over him to find him...some of it is crazy thick...and its a creek bottom..if he wants water he has a mile of it...

Any idea how long it might take for him to die if it is a gutshot?

I'm thinking the round ball just didn't damage it bad like a bullet or broad head and that's what's keeping him going strong...

Might be a week or better till infection takes hold and a cold night puts him down...

I'm still betting the antlers drop before he dies...

Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:40 pm

If those are contents from his intestines or infecting setting up. I don't see him making it much longer.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:20 pm

If he is moving that well he will more than likely live I would think they are tuff animals. People find full arrows in them when they kill them. If he does live it will certainly impact antler growth next year. Good luck

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:58 pm

That makes me curious....could "green stuff" be infection setting in this soon?? It was warm(er) yesterday...I don't think it fell below freezing since before he was hit...wasn't crazy warm either..

I did t get to see it and got the info 3rd hand..I feel like if it was gut matter they'd called it as such...and they never found d anything anywhere else yesterday to believe he was gut hit...normally there's gut matter spilling out along the trail...depending on the hit and hole etc...a round ball makes a different hole than what most of us are used to seeing..

I never thought about infection causing green stuff...but it makes perfect sense...

I don't know what approach to take now...guess I will talk to them and see what they did the rest of the day and tomorrow...if they gave up and didn't push him I may give him a week or 2 and keep an eye out for birds and try to monitor hi bed from a distance...right now the piece he was last in is nasty...but at least I know he's there somewhere...if they didn't push him I won't push him and give him days to die if he's going to...

Long story...my buddies wife shot a nice 130" 10 point opening morning...condensed version...we went back the last day...12 days later...that buck was on its death bed..he tried to get away but didn't have the energy...my buddy dropped him...

His wife's 243 hit the shoulder and didn't penetrate...left a 4" crater of nasty stinky rotting mess...he lost a ton of weight..he was skin n bones...he was gunna die eventually... But 12 days later he was alive!

I'm thinking this may be another on of them scenarios if its not gut hit and infection is too bad...if the wound is as big and nasty as it sounds it may be infection that kills him...unless they can get back on him and finish him off...

I still expect his head gear to fall off...this late in the year and being wounded...

I don't have a tag..I can't go finish him...I hate that...there's only a few of us that can and none of them are good flintlock shots or deer trackers...and they all gotta work during the days..

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:23 am

Yea who knows what "green stuff" they actually found. Stomach matter is easily identifiable if they had bothered to look close - its ground up food. Browse, grass, corn etc. I suppose what they found might have been puss out of the wound which could look a little greenish maybe.

If hurt really bad, say broken leg or worse, he could loose his antlers in a week or so from what I have seen. If it is just a superficial flesh would then it won't affect him that much. In a couple weeks you probably would not be able to tell he was shot other than a scar, deer heal incredibly fast.

Can you put a couple trail cams on travel routes into his core area he might be using? If you got a pic of him that would give you some peace of mind.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:10 am

I thought about the cam....

I told my buddy to get my friends camera and set it up right where he was bedding and feed him some corn...don't know if he did it or not...it could possibly work..he would like an easy meal if he's hurting...

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:58 am

He probably will die. But I had a buck I shot with a arrow hit very low and I never found the buck. The next weekend same 140 class. 8 walked by and I busted him so it is possible it could clog. But finding green isn't a good sign.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:36 am

I agree, that they may NOT have actually found gut material. Only once in a that long of a tracking job, seems to me it could possibly be something else. I ve come across things in the woods before that simulate gut material, could be a turkey with diarreha :D . They usually hunch or something when hit in the guts, and I think they would have found gut material in the beds he laid in. Just trying to be optimistic here. I think after one day he would have been hurting pretty good though and they would have found more beds. If it is indeed a gut hit, he's a dead deer. Either, way good luck! Hope it works out for you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”