can he survive?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

Re: can he survive?

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:40 am

I agree...every gut track job I've been on it was evident pretty quick and along the trail...seemed every time they laid down and every time they jump or run I'd find bits of gut...I've seen coon turds washed partially by rain look like gut from a deer eating corn..

So its hard to say...

Only way it'll work out for ME is if I find his sheds...or kill him next year...if I find him dead I will give him to the shooter...sheds...all bets are off lol..they're the finders in my book...

Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:16 am

For what it's worth, I just finished butchering a shedded buck that had a healed over broken rear leg and part of a muzzy broad head in it's tenderloin. They are one tough critter.

From your story, I would say the buck will survive. Round ball or not, a gut shot is a lethal hit. All of the gut shot deer I have dealt with ended the next day less than a mile and half from where it was shot. Watery looking blood and stomach matter was evident in every case.

Hopefully you two will meet again.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:20 pm

So talked to my buddy more today...

He said they found blood and "green stuff" sounded like kinda mixed in but said it may or may not have been from the deer...idk...

Buddy that seen it Sunday said the wound looked high in the shoulder but looked lime a good sized wound..that's odd for a round ball...something odd happened...

I'm giving him 50/50...

One guy has been going out daily trying to catch up with him one way or another and they have a group for Saturday...

Will keep y'all updated if anything comes of it....

I know deer are tough....but I've seen weird things happen too..similar wounds kill one deer in a week or 2 and others shrug it off...just depends on infection and severity etc I reckon...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:42 am

It's hard to know the out come with out knowing exactly what happen. If he can cover that kind of distance an still kicking. He might make it as long as he doesn't have anything that want heal. He will have a screwed up rack next year most likely.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:22 am

My buddy is 95% sure he saw him Wednesday evening..he was spreading manure and someone must have been hunting or target shooting..he ran across the field..right in his core area...he watched him run clear across the road up the other hillside and stop...

Next day he was looking at his tracks and he came right back..he jumped him and he was gone again...

They are hunting tomorrow...maybe they'll get him killed...he gotta be tired by now lol...problem is 2 of them poked around all evening so who knows here they may push him to...

With the snow and underbrush being at its lowest point of the year he can see a country mile from everywhere he's bedded...my buddy said from the end he jumped him from he could see everywhere...just like the bed I found him in the first time...

I'm not too sure they'll get it done...

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:46 pm

Update...

Season is officially completely over...

They finally found him on the last push of the season and 3 of them missed him!!!

I was rooting for the buck...we hunt as a crew...but my loose lips is the only reason they ever found him...I was involved in the first un-producing hunt..just me and 2 buddies and only one of them had a tag..I had no problem with sending him to that buddy...didn't think he'd ever go back there this season and they rounded up everyone they could to hunt him the last 2 weeks since then..

Glad he won...he will be a monster next season provided infection or cars don't kill him...

They said he was running just fine today...

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:23 am

You've got eight months to put a plan together and get him next year.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:00 am

mauser06 wrote:Update...

Season is officially completely over...

They finally found him on the last push of the season and 3 of them missed him!!!

I was rooting for the buck...we hunt as a crew...but my loose lips is the only reason they ever found him...I was involved in the first un-producing hunt..just me and 2 buddies and only one of them had a tag..I had no problem with sending him to that buddy...didn't think he'd ever go back there this season and they rounded up everyone they could to hunt him the last 2 weeks since then..

Glad he won...he will be a monster next season provided infection or cars don't kill him...

They said he was running just fine today...

That's great news. Hopefully you will get a crack at him next season.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:43 pm

After hearing the story...

They shoulda had him dead...he has 19 lives lol...

My buddy farms for a living...he saw a big one with a goofy side and another big one together all fall...come rifle season first day he sends the goofy rack to his daughter...she kills it...the other bigger normal racked one runs by him and he couldn't get it shot..

He thought all along the one we we've been chasing is the same buck...

Sure enough Saturday they jumped him from where he was back in rifle season...

Why they spent all fall where they did then moved clear over to a different block is beyond me..if anything there's more food and cover where they were..my guess is less does..rut ended and they stayed over there and didn't go back...

They were seen on a nearly daily basis in the summer and fall...

My one buddy got a really good look through binocs before he was spooked...he's pretty good about scoring...funny he gave the same estimate as I did..he said 120-130"...I figured exactly the same..

I knew 160" like my buddies swore was a longggg stretch...people just don't realize what 160" of antler looks like..or what kinda buck it takes to go 160"...

Don't know what being wounded will do to his rack next year...they said all you could see now was a tuft of hair that looked funny...

I'm so fired up about the marsh that I don't even care lol...the size of the tracks I was seeing was ridiculous..

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”