Giving Thanks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Haus86

Giving Thanks

Unread postby Haus86 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:59 am

What do you guys do after you recover a deer? Do you give thanks, say a prayer, or maybe something else? How have you shown your respect for taking a deer's life? How do you feel? Happy? Maybe Guilty?

Haus86

Re: Giving Thanks

Unread postby Haus86 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:02 am

I always give thanks with a prayer while admiring the deer quietly. I also enjoy placing an acorn, or something else in its mouth to symbolize the deer's last bite to eat. The older I get the more important and spiritual hunting becomes.
tcop7
500 Club

Unread postby tcop7 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:30 am

My family has always tried to remember to stand over or kneel down beside the deer that we harvest and say the Lord's Prayer. Just a thanks to God for the opportunity to do what we love and the respect that we have for the animal. I don't usually feel "guilty" about harvesting a deer because we are doing what God intended us to do and know that it will not go to waste with my family.
[glow=green]Experience Is What You Get When You Didn't Get What You Wanted![/glow]

[glow=blue]McLaughlin Athletic Center[/glow]
[glow=blue]Northwest Ohio's Youth Sports Complex![/glow]
[dropshadow=blue]Visit us at --->[/dropshadow]http://www.macgymohio.com/ [dropshadow=blue]<---[/dropshadow]
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:47 pm

I try to slow way down and enjoy the moment. If someone comes to join me at the kill site I try to slow them down too - once you move them from the kill site they feel more like just a piece of meat. This year and last year I took short videos of my dad.. little quick interviews at kill sites.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 pm

Although I am not all that religious, I have said a prayer or two after killing a buck. Mostly (especially if I'm alone) I'll kneel next to it and admire it. A whitetail deer is a beautiful animal and killing one is not something I take lightly, or for granted. For me it is a true mixture of emotions... excitement, sadness, pride, satisfaction, and more than anything else, respect.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:32 pm

I just get to work on getting him out. I never pray that I kill a buck, there are so many things more deserving of prayer than me killing a buck. I don't drink, so celebrating with a beer is out. I just take care of business.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:38 pm

I always kneel down and admire the deer for a bit and give thanks. One thing I will never do is take killing a deer for granted. Every one has special meaning to me and as the years go on even more so.

If I had an especially tough season I tend to get a bit emotional when finally putting one down. This season had a different element for me since it was my first season without my dad. Not ashamed to say I shed a few tears while I was admiring my buck this past season. Years of great hunting memories with dad flooded my thoughts so I made sure I took some extra time to reflect and stay in that moment.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:59 pm

Stanley wrote:I just get to work on getting him out. I never pray that I kill a buck, there are so many things more deserving of prayer than me killing a buck. I don't drink, so celebrating with a beer is out. I just take care of business.

x2
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BCam

Unread postby BCam » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:44 pm

BigHunt wrote:
Stanley wrote:I just get to work on getting him out. I never pray that I kill a buck, there are so many things more deserving of prayer than me killing a buck. I don't drink, so celebrating with a beer is out. I just take care of business.

x2

same here, but if it's the weekend there's a good chance beer will be involved at some point.....buck or no buck, haha.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:44 am

I generally sit down next to the animal when I find it for a little while, admire it and tell mother earth thank you.
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:41 am

Haus86 wrote:I always give thanks with a prayer while admiring the deer quietly. I also enjoy placing an acorn, or something else in its mouth to symbolize the deer's last bite to eat. The older I get the more important and spiritual hunting becomes.

The deer I kill are killed because they've ate too much already, they aren't getting any more once they're dead. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I'm not trying to be a jerk but do you guys pick this kind of stuff up from watching the hunting channels? Do you show this same sort of respect for animals like coyotes or coons?
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:55 am

vanceg wrote:
Haus86 wrote:I always give thanks with a prayer while admiring the deer quietly. I also enjoy placing an acorn, or something else in its mouth to symbolize the deer's last bite to eat. The older I get the more important and spiritual hunting becomes.

The deer I kill are killed because they've ate too much already, they aren't getting any more once they're dead. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I'm not trying to be a jerk but do you guys pick this kind of stuff up from watching the hunting channels? Do you show this same sort of respect for animals like coyotes or coons?

I understand where you are coming from, because I once felt that way as a teenager. My life is about intention and purpose now.
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:06 am

Haus86 wrote:
vanceg wrote:

I understand where you are coming from, because I once felt that way as a teenager. My life is about intention and purpose now.

What about the varmints? How much respect do they get? You don't understand where I'm coming from. I'm far from a teenager. I see the trend on t.v. of shedding a tear, petting a dead deer, thanking this and thanking that and I find it hilarious. Then I see all this talk about killing every fawn killer, sss when it comes to wolves. I just want to know how you determine which animal to respect? Whats your intention and purpose when it comes to other animals?
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:11 am

vanceg wrote:
Haus86 wrote:
vanceg wrote:

What about the varmints? How much respect do they get? You don't understand where I'm coming from. I'm far from a teenager. I see the trend on t.v. of shedding a tear, petting a dead deer, thanking this and thanking that and I find it hilarious. Then I see all this talk about killing every fawn killer, sss when it comes to wolves. I just want to know how you determine which animal to respect? Whats your intention and purpose when it comes to other animals?

Vance, I don't kill varmints. The last time I did, I was a teenager. I think we can make the assumption that myself, and most on this forum don't act like those you see on t.v. I'm not sure why you are making generalizations about those who have commented.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:13 am

I can see a prayer for the opportunity and ability to hunt, I try to remember to do that every hunt, successful or not.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”